Author Topic: 'They're a bunch of frauds': Former Trump University students say The Donald shouldn't be president, school was a scam  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/trump-university-students-school-scam-article-1.2350129

When 75-year-old Robert Guillo hears candidate Donald Trump speak for “the silent majority” and promise to “put people back to work,” he has to laugh.

Guillo is one of hundreds of former “students” of the now-defunct Trump University; an entity the New York attorney general says was a grand scam that put $5 million in Trump’s pocket.

“As soon as I attended the first workshop, I knew I had been scammed,” Guillo said. “Every single workshop, they charged you another amount. Everything was to get you to spend more and more and more.”

Robert Guillo, retiree, with a certificate he received after paying $34,995. to attending Trump University.

Between 2005 through 2011, Guillo and his fellow victims plunked down thousands of dollars for seminars and workshops that claimed to pass on Trump’s 'secrets of success' as a developer.

Instead, according to lawsuits filed in New York and California, “students” got repeat come-ons to run up credit card debt to buy increasingly expensive mentorships topping out at nearly $35,000 per person.

Students were even advised to fudge their income to persuade credit card companies to increase their credit limits, the lawsuits charge.

An internal Trump U. document titled “surefire script to more purchasing power” suggested deliberately inflating actual income by adding in “projected income” from businesses that did not yet exist.

An internal Trump University document that advises students to fudge their income to get their credit card limits extended.

Students were told to make up a name of this fictional business, but not to include “real estate” in its name.

“Be vague,” the internal Trump U. document states.

In the end, according to the lawsuits, hundreds of students saw their credit scores damaged — and worse.

Kathleen Meese of upstate Schoharie said in a sworn affidavit that a Trump U. “mentor” pressured her to buy a $25,000 “elite” program.

When she balked, telling him she needed to support her son with Down syndrome, he “told me that I had to sign up for Trump Gold Elite for $25,000 to help my family. He said he had a son, so he knew how family meant everything to me.”

He promised she’d make the $25,000 back within 60 days, and she put the program on her card. When she again balked, he promised to personally work with her. After the three-day period for seeking refunds passed, he told her he was sending over another mentor.

Two years later, she was still paying off her credit card debt to Trump U.

Nelly Cunningham of Staten Island says she emptied her savings account for Trump U. and couldn’t get a refund.

“I wasted my entire life savings on Trump,” she said in an affidavit. “I spent $1,495 on the Trump three-day seminar and $24,995 on the Trump Gold Elite mentorship package, only to be demeaned and belittled. I feel like such a fool.

In a lawsuit pending in Manhattan Supreme Court, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says 600 ex-Trump U. students in the state were defrauded. Trump Organization counsel Alan Garten defended the school as “a substantive, real program” that “offered people valuable training, valuable courses and valuable mentorships.”

He provided sworn affidavits of eight students praising the school, with some saying they’d initiated successful real estate deals as a result of their training.

So far, Judge Cynthia Kerr has found Trump violated state education laws by calling his entity a “university” when it wasn’t licensed as one. She will decide on possible restitution after a yet-to-be scheduled hearing.

Meantime, two more class-action lawsuits are pending in California.

Trump U. claimed to help some of the working stiffs who Trump has expressed concern for on the stump by turning them into real estate tycoons via “experts” who were allegedly “hand-picked” by Trump.

And who were these ambassadors to extravagant wealth?

One was a graphic designer. Two “mentors” had filed for protection from creditors under the bankruptcy act after running up huge debts in failed real estate adventures, according to bankruptcy court documents.

“I don’t think that someone had a downturn on a business deal means that they are not experienced,” said Trump’s counsel, Garten.

Students say Trump U. presenters told them Trump didn’t get a penny and that all the fees went back into the school. Schneiderman says Trump personally pocketed $5 million.

So what do unhappy Trump U. students think of his plan to “make America great again”?

For Guillo of Manhasset, L.I., who demanded but never got a refund of his $34,995, it’s all a great big joke.

“Donald Trump has charisma. He’s got the greatest persona of any of the Republican candidates and even the Democratic candidates,” Guillo said.

“And if you’re not sophisticated, he makes a pitch before the Iowa fair and he gives a speech, they believe all this stuff.

“But when it comes down to solutions, he’s not specific about anything. And people are buying it.”

Nora Hann, 62, of Seagate, Brooklyn, isn’t buying it anymore. She tried for months to get a refund after putting a $34,995 “Gold Elite” mentorship on her credit card.

“I went through hell and back,” she said. “I kept calling them, sending them emails, nothing happened. Ignoring me. Email after email. They kept sending me emails saying how everything is progressing.”

Amex told her the Trump charge had already gone through. Then her “mentor” stopped taking her calls. She finally got him to pick up by using a friend’s cell phone. He agreed to a refund.

This experience left Hann with serious doubts about a potential President Trump.

“I don’t think he’s going to make it. He has a big mouth. He’s just stirring up trouble,” she said. “I think they’re a bunch of frauds. They told us that he was going to be there. He wasn’t there. This is not $3,500. This is $35,000. It’s crazy.”

Arlene Cohen, 59, who lives in Forest Hills, Queens — the borough where Trump grew up — paid $1,495 for a three-day seminar because she admired him.

Pressured to buy far more expensive “mentorships,” she walked away. Her view of Trump soured somewhat when her refund request was rebuffed.

“Although I think he’s an amazing person and he might even be a good President, this is different,” she said.

“He sold out for the money.”

Nothing says "conservative" like scamming the gullible.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:00:15 am by Once-Ler »

bkepley

They were gullible.  Going to a Donald Trump School of Billionaires is about as gullible as it gets.  They're not stupid they just aren't skeptical enough and they were looking for an easy solution instead of reality. They're a lot like his political supporters actually.

Offline olde north church

I wonder who made more money scamming the gullible, Rove or Trump?  That whole "whiteboard" thing the night of the 2012 election was classic!  Tea Party Express, anyone?  "Club For Growth"?  Presidents McCain and Romney would like to have a word with you.

:pondering:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Longiron

Whow! Any more relevant stuff from the TRUMP haters on here. This is real noteworthy and should disqualify him from the POTUS run immediately? Really going  low to get your point across and that is not even working.  8888crybaby

Offline aligncare

You can't make money by giving things away.

Those radio commercials that promise to teach you to make hundreds of dollars a day trading, by simply calling for a free video, or by going online to watch? Guess what? They're trying to hook you into spending money. Does anyone not know this?

And those "free" bottles of the next health supplement come with a $22.50 shipping and handling fee and the hope that you believe in miracles and call back for more (outrageously priced) product.

It's called marketing.

Sounds like Trump University is no different than the thousands of other entrepreneurial businesses making money by attracting people using standard marketing techniques.

Caveat Emptor.

bkepley

You can't make money by giving things away.

Those radio commercials that promise to teach you to make hundreds of dollars a day trading, by simply calling for a free video, or by going online to watch? Guess what? They're trying to hook you into spending money. Does anyone not know this?

And those "free" bottles of the next health supplement come with a $22.50 shipping and handling fee and the hope that you believe in miracles and call back for more (outrageously priced) product.

It's called marketing.

Sounds like Trump University is no different than the thousands of other entrepreneurial businesses making money by attracting people using standard marketing techniques.

Caveat Emptor.

It was and "entrepreneurial business" making money by scamming the gullible.  The term "entrepreneur" really is being downgraded.

Offline aligncare

"Scamming" has not been determined, only claims by dissatisfied participants and charges by AGs.  It hasn't been adjudicated.  But, you may yet get to pop the cork on your champagne bottle.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
When I was young and gullible, I went to a seminar on making money in real estate.  Paid money for it.  The older guy giving the seminar touted his years of experience doing this.  I took lots of notes.  What he was saying was true - but I soon realized that to do what he did - I would have to be a real go-getter.  I would have to put 1000% into the effort to get it to pay off big-time.

Maybe one or two that attended the seminar ended up taking his advice and getting rich, I know I didn't.  But I didn't have sour grapes about it, what he said was right.  Even though he touted "get rich" - I would have to have been like Donald Trump to pull it off. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

"Scamming" has not been determined, only claims by dissatisfied participants and charges by AGs.  It hasn't been adjudicated.  But, you may yet get to pop the cork on your champagne bottle.

I think that Trump will eventually drop out of the race.  I don't think he intends to see it through.  I still think he's shilling for Hellary...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

I think that Trump will eventually drop out of the race.  I don't think he intends to see it through.  I still think he's shilling for Hellary...

Nah, that was McCarthy's duty

Actually, Trump is running interference for Christie.  He's getting people ready for a loud-mouthed, NorthEasterner

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
LOL!

So me 'made' $5 Million dollars "scamming" people into thinking they too, could become rich in real estate?

He's got more than that amount in his petty cash drawer, for chrissakes.

Did he personally teach any courses/classes?     :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Let's be fair to about this. Trump didn't actually do anything here himself except sell out his name, likeness, endorsements, money, and lawyers to it (and continues to as he defends it against lawsuits from students and several State investigations).

I doubt he wrote the curriculum or lack thereof or oversaw day to day operations or structure.

He is for sale, he always has been and he'll put his name on anything for the right price. He doesn't have the personal value structure to say if something is right or wrong and stand by that. He just goes to wherever gives the biggest paychecks.

Just like the diet pill scam with his name on it. I doubt he had a thing to do with the formula of the pills. Someone just came to him with a very big check asking him to put his name on it and he didn't care it was a multi-level pyramid scheme, he was selling out his name and endorsement.

Just like Trump water, Trump vodka, Trump monopoly, Trump clothing, Trump chocolate, Trump coffee, The Apprentice, the WWE.. and so on... he can't be responsible for all that, he just sells out his name and endorsement to whomever pays.

It is like blaming (or giving credit) to an actor for the roles they play.

That only begs the question, what does he really believe versus endorses because it gives him the 'payoff' he wants? Will he change that if the payoff goes another way?

Offline DCPatriot

Let's be fair to about this. Trump didn't actually do anything here himself except sell out his name, likeness, endorsements, money, and lawyers to it (and continues to as he defends it against lawsuits from students and several State investigations).

I doubt he wrote the curriculum or lack thereof or oversaw day to day operations or structure.

He is for sale, he always has been and he'll put his name on anything for the right price. He doesn't have the personal value structure to say if something is right or wrong and stand by that. He just goes to wherever gives the biggest paychecks.

Just like the diet pill scam with his name on it. I doubt he had a thing to do with the formula of the pills. Someone just came to him with a very big check asking him to put his name on it and he didn't care it was a multi-level pyramid scheme, he was selling out his name and endorsement.

Just like Trump water, Trump vodka, Trump monopoly, Trump clothing, Trump chocolate, Trump coffee, The Apprentice, the WWE.. and so on... he can't be responsible for all that, he just sells out his name and endorsement to whomever pays.

That only begs the question, what does he really believe versus endorses because it gives him the 'payoff' he wants? Will he change that if the payoff goes another way?

And you actually believe that he'd sell out the entire country's welfare if he could continue to make a buck?

With a personal worth in the BILLIONS??   

Okay, fine!    :chairbang:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

Excellent post. You nailed it.

And if I may add my opinion. Personally, there isn't enough money that you could offer me to sell out my my country. My patriotism is not for sale. Period. I suspect the same holds true for Trump. Besides he's already got more money than God. (Just joking, Lord, just trying to be glib).

Offline aligncare

Hey, DC! Just noticed your post.  Great minds and all that!

Offline ABX

And you actually believe that he'd sell out the entire country's welfare if he could continue to make a buck?

With a personal worth in the BILLIONS??   

Okay, fine!    :chairbang:

Why not, he did it to Atlantic City which is why China owns a lot of the property now.

He may not consider it selling out, he may just believe differently something is better, only says something else to draw the attention he needs at the time. Example, manufacturing in China. He says now he'll bring jobs back and not outsource to China but what did he do in his businesses, he outsourced a lot of work to China. He may not consider it 'selling out the country's welfare', he just considers it business that all works out in the end.

In speeches, he faults a business for replacing domestic workers with H1B visa holders yet, when given the opportunity, he did that in his own businesses himself. He may not consider it 'selling out the country's welfare', he just considers it business that all works out in the end.

bkepley

Perfect.  Anyone wonder why people don't  trust the Donald?  He's not a capitalist he's an actor.  If you want to vote for a real capitalist draft a Koch brother.

Offline ABX

Excellent post. You nailed it.

And if I may add my opinion. Personally, there isn't enough money that you could offer me to sell out my my country. My patriotism is not for sale. Period. I suspect the same holds true for Trump. Besides he's already got more money than God. (Just joking, Lord, just trying to be glib).

He had more money than God when he sold out to a MLM diet pill pyramid scheme which put people's health at risk and MLMs financially harm the vulnerable little guy the most as people who usually get into those are either stupid or desperate (or a bit of both).

Like I said before, he may not consider it selling out, he may just believe differently what is best and only be saying what gets him the attention he wants now. See previous post, when given the opportunity, his actions on those issues we deem important are very different than the words he uses.

bkepley

Why not, he did it to Atlantic City which is why China owns a lot of the property now.

He may not consider it selling out, he may just believe differently something is better, only says something else to draw the attention he needs at the time. Example, manufacturing in China. He says now he'll bring jobs back and not outsource to China but what did he do in his businesses, he outsourced a lot of work to China. He may not consider it 'selling out the country's welfare', he just considers it business that all works out in the end.

In speeches, he faults a business for replacing domestic workers with H1B visa holders yet, when given the opportunity, he did that in his own businesses himself. He may not consider it 'selling out the country's welfare', he just considers it business that all works out in the end.

Damn right.  The kind who are cheering on Trump are skeptical of anyone with big money except Trump it seems.

Offline DCPatriot

Hey, DC! Just noticed your post.  Great minds and all that!

It's AC/DC providing HARD ROCK rebuttal to the anti-Trumpers' attempts to slander him.

A dirty job, but "somebody's got to do it"!   :beer:

Offline DCPatriot

Well hold up for a moment, AB....

As a private citizen, he'd be a damned fool not to take full advantage of the laws as written.

Hillary and Bill wrote off used underwear on their tax returns.

Trump has said that he'd raise taxes on the extremely wealthy...which would include himself.

Offline aligncare

Trump did nothing to Atlantic City. What are you talking about? Three other major casinos went belly up during that same period. In fact, Trump's casino was the most profitable of the casinos that failed. More testament to his business and marketing acumen in a town and sector of the entertainment industry that was drying up.

Offline aligncare

It's AC/DC providing HARD ROCK rebuttal to the anti-Trumpers' attempts to slander him.

A dirty job, but "somebody's got to do it"!   :beer:

:beer: As detective Friday used to say, "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts"

Offline aligncare

He had more money than God when he sold out to a MLM diet pill pyramid scheme which put people's health at risk and MLMs financially harm the vulnerable little guy the most as people who usually get into those are either stupid or desperate (or a bit of both).

Like I said before, he may not consider it selling out, he may just believe differently what is best and only be saying what gets him the attention he wants now. See previous post, when given the opportunity, his actions on those issues we deem important are very different than the words he uses.

You completely ignored what I said in the second paragraph. Donald Trump's patriotism is not for sale. Property, yes. His country, no.