Author Topic: Fish Can Recognize Faces, a Surprisingly Human Skill  (Read 625 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Fish Can Recognize Faces, a Surprisingly Human Skill
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:23:45 pm »
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/151001-fish-faces-animals-science-oceans/

A school of fish might seem like a sea of identical faces, but at least one species has no problem telling its comrades—and even strangers—apart, new research says. To human eyes, which cannot see ultraviolet light, the Ambon damselfish (Pomacentrus amboinensis), appears yellow with a few spots. But to damselfish, which can see ultraviolet wavelengths, their fellow species sport a complex array of facial patterns that are unique to each individual. "The idea is that these patterns help the fish communicate secretly—without attracting the attention of predators, which, like us, are UV blind," says experiment leader Ulrike Siebeck of the University of Queensland, Australia.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline flowers

Re: Fish Can Recognize Faces, a Surprisingly Human Skill
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:30:49 pm »
I have a neighbor who feeds the trout in the creek in front of her place. She feeds them cheddar cheese. They only come up to her.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:37:06 pm by flowers »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:35 pm »
Daughter's goldfish (not the brightest bulbs in creation) seem to recognise her and her family. They'll swim towards any family member, but not strangers.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:45 pm »
My wife used to get a handful of goldfish, and walk across the room to the tank with the Oscar, and the fish would literally jump out of the tank, he was so thrilled to get food, or to have a relationship with my lovely wife.

Eventually the uncertainty turned to jealousy, and I got rid of the damn fish. I still have the wife, however.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln