Author Topic: So why don't I like Donald Trump?  (Read 10809 times)

Offline flowers

Re: So why don't I like Donald Trump?
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 07:59:47 pm »
ping for later

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2015, 03:44:37 pm »
In an ideal world, there would be horsetrading. Boehner and McConnell don't do that.

In order to be a successful horse trader, someone has to want your horse, instead "they" want us to keep ours... :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:44:57 pm by EdinVA »

Offline flowers

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 05:03:25 pm »
ping for later

Offline aligncare

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 08:07:28 pm »
I don't dislike Trump; nor do I like him.  I love that he is shaking up the parasitical GOPe and causing the politically correct to have the vapors.  This is a valuable service that he is doing.

However, I don't trust him to do what needs to be done.  He is, by his own often proclaimed admission, a "deal-maker".  I don't think we need a deal maker right now.  We need someone to go into Washington DC and kick butt and take names.  To hell with deal-making.  That's what the GOPe has been doing, much to the detriment of the country.  Partially because the GOPe'ers don't have a vision and ideology that they understand or accept enough to fight for, and because the left's idea of deal making is that the left gets everything they demand.

I understand your point. But, perhaps you overlooked a minor point here.

A deal involves an agreement entered into by two or more parties for their mutual benefit, especially in a business or political context. But, Trump said only that he would negotiate better deals for America, not himself or the GOP.

He doesn't appear to desire either political gain beyond this race (he's an outsider to politics), or personal enrichment (he's already got money). And I don't see how he could become any more famous than he already is (he reached icon status years ago).

At this point in his life he doesn't appear to care what people think about him (he doesn't use focus groups or political consultants to tell him what to say, he pretty much says whatever is on his mind).

So, what else could he gain if he were to compromise on his stated positions?

bkepley

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:24 pm »
I understand your point. But, perhaps you overlooked a minor point here.

A deal involves an agreement entered into by two or more parties for their mutual benefit, especially in a business or political context. But, Trump said only that he would negotiate better deals for America, not himself or the GOP.

He doesn't appear to desire either political gain beyond this race (he's an outsider to politics), or personal enrichment (he's already got money). And I don't see how he could become any more famous than he already is (he reached icon status years ago).

At this point in his life he doesn't appear to care what people think about him (he doesn't use focus groups or political consultants to tell him what to say, he pretty much says whatever is on his mind).

So, what else could he gain if he were to compromise on his stated positions?

Trump's product is his name.  Maybe he was wrong to think that running for president would boost his product but just like his television show that's what it is all about.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2015, 08:20:35 pm »
Andy wonders above:
[[ Really now. Who in public life ever speaks this way? ]]

I'll bet almost ALL of them "speak that way" -- or worse -- in private.

But they put on another face in public.
Mr. Trump seems to "wear the same face" in public as in private.

You know Andy, with all the hypocrisy in government, with all the mealy-mouthed candidates like Bush and Rubio, I kinda like that. I even respect Mr. Trump's harshness.

That's precisely at the root of his popularity. That, and that he projects an aura of energy and success. Plus, he positioned himself as the anti-politician at a point in our political life when politicians are viewed as anathema.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2015, 08:32:16 pm »
Making a choice because of being pandered to before each election and then being ignored, or worse - being ridiculed by influential party leaders AFTER they are re-elected on promises they apparently never intend to keep?

THAT, Godzilla, is not a choice made so much on emotion as it is a choice borne of past experience.  More a deductive choice using reasoning and powers of intelligence.  To support and vote for such candidates and to expect them to behave differently THIS time around is akin to the abused wife or husband that keeps going back to their spouse because they promise they'll be better this time around.  THAT is an emotional choice!

Oh?  You might say that those people are jumping from the frying pan into the fire?  Maybe they figure they're cooked if they stay in the pan - might as well take the chance and jump far outside of the fire, on the chance they'll live to fight another day.

It's gotten that bad.

Yep, McConnell targeted conservatives. People like you and me and others here who proudly wear the mantle of conservatism.

bkepley

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 08:38:42 pm »
Yep, McConnell targeted conservatives. People like you and me and others here who proudly wear the mantle of conservatism.

Hmmm...what I have heard is a lot of talk about no longer caring a fig about conservatism and only wanting to destroy the GOP.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »
This article is drawing a response at FR: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/3347411/posts

bkepley

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 09:38:17 pm »
This article is drawing a response at FR: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/3347411/posts

The third one I read said "Screw Trump.  There I said it."  I predict more refugees from there..or at least one more.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 09:56:56 pm »
The third one I read said "Screw Trump.  There I said it."  I predict more refugees from there..or at least one more.

Opinions are like anuses, everyone's got at least one....and, some have one at both ends.

bkepley

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 09:58:53 pm »
Opinions are like anuses, everyone's got at least one....and, some have one at both ends.
Indeed they do.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 11:32:11 pm »

andy, I thought about it and I have the answer: Trump's an acquired taste.  :whistle: wrong answer? Okay, then

...your mom taught you if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?

...you have a low threshold dislike for billionaire presidential candidates?

...where's the beef?

...copper colored hair reminds you of your first wife?

Come on people, help me out, I dying here...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 11:34:14 pm »

...most of the good candidates have already been bought?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2015, 11:39:54 pm »

...no one told you politics demanded so much thinking?

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2015, 11:42:27 pm »

andy, I thought about it and I have the answer: Trump's an acquired taste.  :whistle: wrong answer? Okay, then

...your mom taught you if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all?

...you have a low threshold dislike for billionaire presidential candidates?

...where's the beef?

...copper colored hair reminds you of your first wife?

Come on people, help me out, I dying here...

You are looking for love in all the wrong places.

Oceander

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2015, 12:54:06 am »
No Republicans voted for Obamacare. That outcome HAD TO BE arranged by Boehner and McConnell.

Yet they get little or no credit in that regard. Instead both men are charged with failing to do what only veto proof majorities could do.

"True conservatives" come up ridiculously short, on logic and math, over and over.

Old time politics (as well as logic) would argue to negotiate with Obama; give him something he wants in return for something you want.

But I believe the far right wants the stalemate for their own purposes. They get to play the victim scenario.

They want to shut down government, and when Boehner and McConnell, elected to lead, feel shut down is a bad strategy, they turn on their leaders.

Yet when it comes time to lead, they have not thought ahead to even having a viable alternative to Boehner. These people are mostly rank amateurs, with questionable competence in my view.

Narrow but loud. Only holding about 20% of the House seats, for instance. Very quick to turn on their own. Ryan, Cantor, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio to name just a few.

I don't disagree.

geronl

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2015, 05:38:16 am »

But I believe the far right wants the stalemate for their own purposes. They get to play the victim scenario.

Only Obama has "shut down government". The Congressional majority needs to pass what the majority believes in. If the President vetoes that, then the President is responsible.

When the so-called "GOP leaders" set stuff up where leftwing stuff can pass with a minority vote in Congress they have become usurpers.

geronl

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2015, 05:39:20 am »

I am a conservative and Trump is not.

I am anti-establishment and Trump is not.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2015, 11:54:28 am »
I am a conservative and Trump is not.

I am anti-establishment and Trump is not.

Kudos for the clear opinion.  So, using the same criteria, who do you support in this race?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 10:36:02 pm »

That really does demonstrate the difference between here and there. TOS reads like a Jr. High playground with not a single cogent comment, pro or con on their position in about 300 posts, just name calling.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2015, 10:44:38 pm »
That really does demonstrate the difference between here and there. TOS reads like a Jr. High playground with not a single cogent comment, pro or con on their position in about 300 posts, just name calling.

Hey, I guess that makes us political refugees!  ^-^

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2015, 10:59:01 pm »

I don't appreciate being called names, but one has to consider the source.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 11:02:19 pm »
Only Obama has "shut down government". The Congressional majority needs to pass what the majority believes in. If the President vetoes that, then the President is responsible.

When the so-called "GOP leaders" set stuff up where leftwing stuff can pass with a minority vote in Congress they have become usurpers.

Perception is reality.  It doesn't matter what the facts are, if most Americans believe Republicans are the ones who shut down the government, then they get the blame.

And that is what has happened, and will happen, in every shutdown scenario for the past 20 years. You don't have to like it, but there it is.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2015, 11:06:23 pm »

You are right, and it's sad.  I used to read the comments to gain a better understanding of the particular issue being discussed.  Used to be a whole lot of knowledgeable posters.  Now it's: "Bush's fault", "in before the" whatever, "Laz would hit it", and countless other inane mind-numbingly stupid and counterproductive comments.

8888crybaby