Author Topic: Good books  (Read 20733 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Good books
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2017, 04:10:18 am »
   I've read Prof. Kengor before, God and Ronald Reagan, but it's been years and apparently I gave the book to someone cause I can't find it now.

Thanks again @Bigun.

Were you the one that recommended this to the forum months ago, another great, but to short, read?

Could be!  I have it in my library and it IS a great book!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline chae

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2017, 04:32:30 am »
It's not really political, but I read a great book called "The creation of Anne Boleyn".  I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the second wife of Henry VIII

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2017, 01:41:52 pm »
  Just finished this:

Next up:

The Churchill book looks good. Thank you, @corbe
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2017, 02:12:42 pm »
I just read "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance.
From a former marine and Yale Law School graduate, a powerful account of growing up in a poor Rust Belt town that offers a broader, probing look at the struggles of America’s white working class.

Hillbilly Elegy is a passionate and personal analysis of a culture in crisis—that of white working-class Americans. The decline of this group, a demographic of our country that has been slowly disintegrating over forty years, has been reported on with growing frequency and alarm, but has never before been written about as searingly from the inside. J. D. Vance tells the true story of what a social, regional, and class decline feels like when you were born with it hung around your neck. ... From his website
I saw so much of my own county in it, even though our part of W.Va. is not entirely in the Appalachian hillbilly region, geographically (more of the industrial Ohio Valley).  Vance is a contributor to National Review. I had to laugh out loud at the negative review published in leftist rag New Republic. They certainly don't want to accept that the welfare state that started under FDR has destroyed what used to be a hard-working people.

However, the NYT reviewer said, "Combining thoughtful inquiry with firsthand experience, Mr. Vance has inadvertently provided a civilized reference guide for an uncivilized election, and he's done so in a vocabulary intelligible to both Democrats and Republicans…Whether you agree with Mr. Vance or not, you must admire him for his head-on confrontation with a taboo subject. And he frames his critique generously, stipulating that it isn't laziness that's destroying hillbilly culture but what the psychologist Martin Seligman calls "learned helplessness"—the fatalistic belief, born of too much adversity, that nothing can be done to change your lot."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2017, 02:19:46 pm »
I just read "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance. I saw so much of my own county in it, even though our part of W.Va. is not entirely in the Appalachian hillbilly region, geographically (more of the industrial Ohio Valley).  Vance is a contributor to National Review. I had to laugh out loud at the negative review published in leftist rag New Republic. They certainly don't want to accept that the welfare state that started under FDR has destroyed what used to be a hard-working people.

However, the NYT reviewer said, "Combining thoughtful inquiry with firsthand experience, Mr. Vance has inadvertently provided a civilized reference guide for an uncivilized election, and he's done so in a vocabulary intelligible to both Democrats and Republicans…Whether you agree with Mr. Vance or not, you must admire him for his head-on confrontation with a taboo subject. And he frames his critique generously, stipulating that it isn't laziness that's destroying hillbilly culture but what the psychologist Martin Seligman calls "learned helplessness"—the fatalistic belief, born of too much adversity, that nothing can be done to change your lot."

@mountaineer

A friend asked me the other day why I had stopped writing.  I responded thusly; "Hell man! I can barely find the time to read all that needs reading! Where am I supposed to find the time to write anything?" 

Your suggestion has added to my to do list!  Sounds like an EXCELLENT read!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2017, 02:46:13 pm »
In posting about Hillbilly Elegy, I just realized it was due back yesterday to the library. Oh well.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2017, 02:46:22 pm »
I just read "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance. I saw so much of my own county in it, even though our part of W.Va. is not entirely in the Appalachian hillbilly region, geographically (more of the industrial Ohio Valley).  Vance is a contributor to National Review. I had to laugh out loud at the negative review published in leftist rag New Republic. They certainly don't want to accept that the welfare state that started under FDR has destroyed what used to be a hard-working people.

So, what did you think, @mountaineer?  I've got this on my list to read.  Is it worth it?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2017, 02:53:17 pm »
So, what did you think, @mountaineer?  I've got this on my list to read.  Is it worth it?
Absolutely, especially if you have even the slightest familiarity with the region. Vance's family originally was from a "holler" in Kentucky. His grandparents moved to Middletown, Ohio, for the factory work after WWII (as did many hillbillies), and he recounts how they brought their hillbilly ways up north with them - and how it's been carried down through the generations, which he ties in with the welfare mentality and drug abuse that are so common among them today.

Much of the commentary you can find about the book relates to how these folks went from being die-hard union-supporting Democrats to voting for Bush - to some extent - and for Trump overwhelmingly. But it's really much more than this. Even read as just an autobiography, it shows how young Vance's life was shaped and almost pre-ordained by the hillbilly culture.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2017, 03:06:45 pm »
@mountaineer, OK, I will go ahead and download it then.  .

I've been trying to understand poverty, and thought that since this one was closer to my background than some other pockets of persistent and durable poverty might be it might be informative.  And, I've spent some time in the Appalachians.  Love the land there; don't quite understand the culture.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2017, 06:14:08 pm »
The book really describes much of white southern culture, not just KY and WV, in my opinion.  For all I know, it also may explain much of black culture.

As soon as I returned it to the library (darned 10 cent fine!!), I heard a staff member calling the next guy on the waiting list that he could come get it, so it's getting a lot of attention here. I checked out a book about the Battle of the Bulge, as a good friend who was like a second father to my husband and who died in 2015 lost his arm there. Will advise if it's any good.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:14:34 pm by mountaineer »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2017, 06:22:15 pm »
Know I recommended this to @Bigun  - didn't realize I hadn't made a general recommendation:

The Sixteen - John Urwin

It's worth the read - if you still have any illusions.  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2017, 06:44:30 pm »
Know I recommended this to @Bigun  - didn't realize I hadn't made a general recommendation:

The Sixteen - John Urwin

It's worth the read - if you still have any illusions.  :tongue2:

Bought it! Read it and agree that it was worth the read!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2017, 08:10:55 pm »
I'm about halfway through a very good book on World War II:  "Those Who Hold Bastogne: The True Story of the Soldiers and Civilians Who Fought in the Biggest Battle of the Bulge," by Peter Schrijvers. He provides a readable chronological narrative, with first-hand accounts from soldiers from both sides as well as the civilians caught in the crossfire.

Offline corbe

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2017, 08:03:12 pm »
   Just starting 'DUPES' now, great read, so far.
   This looks interesting.

The American Founders Knew A Virtuous Republic Requires Virtuous People

Incredibly, it has become controversial to argue the founding founders supported natural rights and the need to cultivate moral citizenry. In the 'The Political Theory of the American Founding,' Thomas G. West offers a convincing and necessary corrective to modern scholarship.

Mike Sabo
By Mike Sabo
April 28, 2017

“Does this nation in its maturity still cherish the faith in which it was conceived and raised? Does it still hold those ‘truths to be self-evident’?”

This is the pivotal question the political philosopher Leo Strauss raised in the opening pages of his most well-known book, Natural Right and History. Quoting part of the famous second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence, Strauss implied that the knowledge of founding principles and continued belief in their truth were vital to the success of the American experiment in self-government.

But if recent findings are any indication, Americans’ acquaintance with the founders’ principles and practices seems to be at a nadir. According to a report of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni, a majority of college graduates can’t recall “the substance of the First Amendment, or the origin of the separation of powers.” Perhaps most alarmingly, “nearly 10% say that Judith Sheindlin—‘Judge Judy’—is on the Supreme Court.” A big part of the problem seems to stem from the fact that of the 1,100 “liberal arts colleges and universities” surveyed, just “18%” require students to take a course on American history or government before graduation.

Though certainly more classes and study are necessary to correct these glaring deficiencies, scholar Thomas G. West suggests that the problems go much deeper. While professors are undoubtedly intelligent, he argues that their views on America—especially regarding our nation’s founding—have some serious flaws.

Truth Above All

In his new book The Political Theory of the American Founding: Natural Rights, Public Policy, and the Moral Conditions of Freedom, West sets out to remedy this problem. West, professor of politics at Hillsdale College and a senior fellow at the Claremont Institute, gives a comprehensive overview of the founders’ political theory and the intricate web of policies that flowed from those principles. (For what it’s worth, I am former student of West.) This sober and deeply learned work represents the culmination of decades of serious study and reflection on the American founding. And it might just be the best book ever written on the subject.

In his previous book Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America, West defended the founders’ natural law and natural rights principles and controversial policies from historians and public intellectuals, liberals and conservatives who have attacked them as controversial according to contemporary standards. But as West says in the introduction to his new work, he did not understand at the time how much those principles were simply misunderstood:

After I published Vindicating, I became increasingly aware that for many people—often including scholars who might be expected to know better—the founders’ political theory might well be buried in some deep dark and long-forgotten pit. My task, then, has something in common with archeology—digging up old bones. But these bones, unlike those of long-dead Romans or Chinese, are of interest today because they claim to be living principles based on timeless truths.

What makes West unique among scholars and historians, then, is that he actually “treats the founders’ political theory as if it might be true.” In an age when an easy-going historicism envelops the American mind and History itself is thought to pick winners and losers, this standpoint is refreshing. West comes from the perspective not of the dogmatic skeptic nor the blind zealot but of a concern for the truth of things above all.

West divides his book into three overarching sections: an overview of the founders’ political theory, an argument for why they thought government should inculcate citizen morality and virtue, and an extended examination of their views on property and economics. As he reasonably argues in the book’s introduction, before we can praise or condemn the founders, we must “first know” both “why the founders set up the regime they did” and “how their political order worked.”

West more than lives up to the daunting task he sets before himself.

The Founders’ Political Theory of Natural Rights

In the book’s first section, West argues that a “natural rights doctrine” is at “the core of the founders’ political theory.” This stance sits squarely against the bulk of scholarship on the American founding, which tends to view the founders’ theory as a combination of liberalism (natural rights), republicanism, Scottish enlightenment theory, British common law, and Protestant theology, among other elements.

West, by contrast, posits that although “the conditions and traditions of colonial America before 1776” were surely important, natural rights determined “which traditions would continue and which would be discarded.” This argument is a useful corrective to the popular idea in certain circles that America is a “proposition nation”—meaning that it is defined solely by “abstract principles” without regard to any other considerations such as citizen character.

Citing a copious amount of primary sources, West meticulously pieces together the founders’ political theory. Natural rights are the inalienable liberties all human beings possess, not through government largesse, but by nature. Because “all men are created equal” in the sense “that there are no natural masters or natural slaves,” everyone has the natural liberty to order his life “without interference from other people.” Among these rights are the right to life, possessing and acquiring property, religious liberty, and to seek happiness—what West calls “the goal of human life.”

On the reverse side of rights are the duties all men have not to transcend the moral limits on the use of their rights. The founders called these natural limits the law of nature, or natural law. Natural law, which can be discovered through the faculty of reason, is “both the source of natural rights and a statement of our duties.” West argues that “natural liberty exists only within the moral limits of the law of nature.” Liberty, in other words, does not equal license.

Because all men are created equal, just government can only be founded on the unanimous consent of individuals who want to protect their rights, which are insecure outside of civil society. (The founders called the condition in which there is no common authority to protect against infringements of one’s rights the state of nature.) “The logic of the equality principle,” West contends, “necessarily leads to the right of the people to rule themselves in person or through elected representatives.” Consent, then, must be granted not only at the founding of a regime but also in the course of its operation, lest it degenerate into a tyranny.

Finally, West notes that the government’s purpose is to secure the natural rights of all who are under its auspices. Government violations of the people’s rights may justify the people to resort to what John Locke called an “appeal to heaven”—the natural right of the people to revolt and institute a new government that secures their safety and happiness.

Teaching Virtue

With the founders’ political theory fully sketched out, West turns to an important argument about how they conceived of virtue and the government’s role in inculcating it among citizens.

Against the view of scholars such as Thomas Pangle, Allan Bloom, and Harvey Mansfield, West contends that the founders were far from being concerned only with low bourgeois virtues, such as acquisitiveness, and comfortable self-preservation. In fact, they considered “virtue as a condition of freedom and a requirement of the laws of nature.”

West argues forcefully that the project of sustaining our republic is not satisfied simply by getting government out of the way.

Many public documents from the time spoke of the need for social and republican virtues within the populace such as justice (i.e., obeying the law), moderation, benevolence, temperance, industry, frugality, religious piety, and a responsibility among the people’s representatives to secure their good. In times of war, however, virtues of strength such as courage, leadership, bravery, vigor, and manly exertion are required. “Virtue is of concern to government not as an end in itself, but as a means to security and ultimately to happiness,” West concludes.

Opposed to the libertarian ethos that has consumed much of the Right, West argues forcefully that the project of sustaining our republic is not satisfied simply by getting government out of the way. The founders thought it was the duty of government (at least at the state level) to encourage virtue through public education, support for religious instruction, and a vast network of laws that discourage crime and promote stable families.

West understands, therefore, the decisive role politics plays in shaping the character of the regime. Contra Andrew Breitbart and most commentators on politics today, politics in its highest sense is not downstream from culture. “To know whether a culture is good or bad, healthy or unhealthy, liberating or oppressive,” Charles Kesler once remarked, “one has to be able to look at it from outside or above the culture.” That is, in the founders’ view culture should conform to principles of political justice that are true for all men everywhere.

While West ably proves his arguments here, one wishes he would have critiqued more recent scholarship such as the work of Yuval Levin, whose impressive books and essays deserve a careful and thoughtful appraisal.

Property Rights and Economics

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/28/the-american-founders-knew-a-virtuous-republic-requires-virtuous-people/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2017, 09:15:58 pm »
Just read . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2017, 09:20:33 pm »
   Just starting 'DUPES' now, great read, so far.
   This looks interesting.

The American Founders Knew A Virtuous Republic Requires Virtuous People

Incredibly, it has become controversial to argue the founding founders supported natural rights and the need to cultivate moral citizenry. In the 'The Political Theory of the American Founding,' Thomas G. West offers a convincing and necessary corrective to modern scholarship.

Mike Sabo
By Mike Sabo
April 28, 2017

“Does this nation in its maturity still cherish the faith in which it was conceived and raised? Does it still hold those ‘truths to be self-evident’?”

This is the pivotal question the political philosopher Leo Strauss raised in the opening pages of his most well-known book, Natural Right and History. Quoting part of the famous second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence, Strauss implied that the knowledge of founding principles and continued belief in their truth were vital to the success of the American experiment in self-government.

But if recent findings are any indication, Americans’ acquaintance with the founders’ principles and practices seems to be at a nadir. According to a report of the American Council of Trustees and Alumni, a majority of college graduates can’t recall “the substance of the First Amendment, or the origin of the separation of powers.” Perhaps most alarmingly, “nearly 10% say that Judith Sheindlin—‘Judge Judy’—is on the Supreme Court.” A big part of the problem seems to stem from the fact that of the 1,100 “liberal arts colleges and universities” surveyed, just “18%” require students to take a course on American history or government before graduation.

Though certainly more classes and study are necessary to correct these glaring deficiencies, scholar Thomas G. West suggests that the problems go much deeper. While professors are undoubtedly intelligent, he argues that their views on America—especially regarding our nation’s founding—have some serious flaws.

Truth Above All

In his new book The Political Theory of the American Founding: Natural Rights, Public Policy, and the Moral Conditions of Freedom, West sets out to remedy this problem. West, professor of politics at Hillsdale College and a senior fellow at the Claremont Institute, gives a comprehensive overview of the founders’ political theory and the intricate web of policies that flowed from those principles. (For what it’s worth, I am former student of West.) This sober and deeply learned work represents the culmination of decades of serious study and reflection on the American founding. And it might just be the best book ever written on the subject.

In his previous book Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America, West defended the founders’ natural law and natural rights principles and controversial policies from historians and public intellectuals, liberals and conservatives who have attacked them as controversial according to contemporary standards. But as West says in the introduction to his new work, he did not understand at the time how much those principles were simply misunderstood:

After I published Vindicating, I became increasingly aware that for many people—often including scholars who might be expected to know better—the founders’ political theory might well be buried in some deep dark and long-forgotten pit. My task, then, has something in common with archeology—digging up old bones. But these bones, unlike those of long-dead Romans or Chinese, are of interest today because they claim to be living principles based on timeless truths.

What makes West unique among scholars and historians, then, is that he actually “treats the founders’ political theory as if it might be true.” In an age when an easy-going historicism envelops the American mind and History itself is thought to pick winners and losers, this standpoint is refreshing. West comes from the perspective not of the dogmatic skeptic nor the blind zealot but of a concern for the truth of things above all.

West divides his book into three overarching sections: an overview of the founders’ political theory, an argument for why they thought government should inculcate citizen morality and virtue, and an extended examination of their views on property and economics. As he reasonably argues in the book’s introduction, before we can praise or condemn the founders, we must “first know” both “why the founders set up the regime they did” and “how their political order worked.”

West more than lives up to the daunting task he sets before himself.

The Founders’ Political Theory of Natural Rights

In the book’s first section, West argues that a “natural rights doctrine” is at “the core of the founders’ political theory.” This stance sits squarely against the bulk of scholarship on the American founding, which tends to view the founders’ theory as a combination of liberalism (natural rights), republicanism, Scottish enlightenment theory, British common law, and Protestant theology, among other elements.

West, by contrast, posits that although “the conditions and traditions of colonial America before 1776” were surely important, natural rights determined “which traditions would continue and which would be discarded.” This argument is a useful corrective to the popular idea in certain circles that America is a “proposition nation”—meaning that it is defined solely by “abstract principles” without regard to any other considerations such as citizen character.

Citing a copious amount of primary sources, West meticulously pieces together the founders’ political theory. Natural rights are the inalienable liberties all human beings possess, not through government largesse, but by nature. Because “all men are created equal” in the sense “that there are no natural masters or natural slaves,” everyone has the natural liberty to order his life “without interference from other people.” Among these rights are the right to life, possessing and acquiring property, religious liberty, and to seek happiness—what West calls “the goal of human life.”

On the reverse side of rights are the duties all men have not to transcend the moral limits on the use of their rights. The founders called these natural limits the law of nature, or natural law. Natural law, which can be discovered through the faculty of reason, is “both the source of natural rights and a statement of our duties.” West argues that “natural liberty exists only within the moral limits of the law of nature.” Liberty, in other words, does not equal license.

Because all men are created equal, just government can only be founded on the unanimous consent of individuals who want to protect their rights, which are insecure outside of civil society. (The founders called the condition in which there is no common authority to protect against infringements of one’s rights the state of nature.) “The logic of the equality principle,” West contends, “necessarily leads to the right of the people to rule themselves in person or through elected representatives.” Consent, then, must be granted not only at the founding of a regime but also in the course of its operation, lest it degenerate into a tyranny.

Finally, West notes that the government’s purpose is to secure the natural rights of all who are under its auspices. Government violations of the people’s rights may justify the people to resort to what John Locke called an “appeal to heaven”—the natural right of the people to revolt and institute a new government that secures their safety and happiness.

Teaching Virtue

With the founders’ political theory fully sketched out, West turns to an important argument about how they conceived of virtue and the government’s role in inculcating it among citizens.

Against the view of scholars such as Thomas Pangle, Allan Bloom, and Harvey Mansfield, West contends that the founders were far from being concerned only with low bourgeois virtues, such as acquisitiveness, and comfortable self-preservation. In fact, they considered “virtue as a condition of freedom and a requirement of the laws of nature.”

West argues forcefully that the project of sustaining our republic is not satisfied simply by getting government out of the way.

Many public documents from the time spoke of the need for social and republican virtues within the populace such as justice (i.e., obeying the law), moderation, benevolence, temperance, industry, frugality, religious piety, and a responsibility among the people’s representatives to secure their good. In times of war, however, virtues of strength such as courage, leadership, bravery, vigor, and manly exertion are required. “Virtue is of concern to government not as an end in itself, but as a means to security and ultimately to happiness,” West concludes.

Opposed to the libertarian ethos that has consumed much of the Right, West argues forcefully that the project of sustaining our republic is not satisfied simply by getting government out of the way. The founders thought it was the duty of government (at least at the state level) to encourage virtue through public education, support for religious instruction, and a vast network of laws that discourage crime and promote stable families.

West understands, therefore, the decisive role politics plays in shaping the character of the regime. Contra Andrew Breitbart and most commentators on politics today, politics in its highest sense is not downstream from culture. “To know whether a culture is good or bad, healthy or unhealthy, liberating or oppressive,” Charles Kesler once remarked, “one has to be able to look at it from outside or above the culture.” That is, in the founders’ view culture should conform to principles of political justice that are true for all men everywhere.

While West ably proves his arguments here, one wishes he would have critiqued more recent scholarship such as the work of Yuval Levin, whose impressive books and essays deserve a careful and thoughtful appraisal.

Property Rights and Economics

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/28/the-american-founders-knew-a-virtuous-republic-requires-virtuous-people/

Dr. West is a brilliant man.  I'll buy the book for sure!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2017, 09:28:39 pm »
 need some good books to read, I think they would cheer me.

I got to get my carcass over to Barnes and Noble.

I like library books but I can't highlight them.

When I was in the hospital my mother's best friend bought me "The cats of Instagram "

I highly recommend it. It's s picture book of cute cats.   88888walking kitty 8888sitting kitty 8888spinning cat
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:33:43 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2017, 10:33:50 pm »
need some good books to read, I think they would cheer me.

I got to get my carcass over to Barnes and Noble.

I like library books but I can't highlight them.

When I was in the hospital my mother's best friend bought me "The cats of Instagram "

I highly recommend it. It's s picture book of cute cats.   88888walking kitty 8888sitting kitty 8888spinning cat
@Freya
Don't forget to hunt eBay and Amazon. You might find some real jewels, as I did (this book arrived yesterday
and it's an original edition I got for a measly $11 . . .)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2017, 11:22:23 pm »
I collect the old MAD magazine books from the 50s to the 70s. Got nigh on 50 of them now - just missing 5, I think. Love the style of humor they had then. Now though ... Ecch.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2017, 03:55:18 pm »
I just read "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr and was enthralled. Then I found a ridiculous critique of the book by someone who appears not to have read it, and became annoyed.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2017, 04:29:14 pm »
I just read "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr and was enthralled. Then I found a ridiculous critique of the book by someone who appears not to have read it, and became annoyed.

The Amazon reviewers seem overwhelmingly to agree with you over the other guy with the snarky review.

I finally got around to "reading" Pillars of the Earth.  I bought it on Audible quite awhile back, but had put off tackling 41 hours of listening time until recently.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »
I finally got around to "reading" Pillars of the Earth.  I bought it on Audible quite awhile back, but had put off tackling 41 hours of listening time until recently.

One of my favorite books of all time.  ^-^

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2017, 04:35:51 pm »
One of my favorite books of all time.  ^-^

I've been wondering now why I put it off for so long. 
 :beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2017, 04:39:22 pm »
The TV series isn't bad, either.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod