Author Topic: Good books  (Read 20737 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Good books
« on: September 25, 2015, 11:39:36 am »
We all enjoy good books. Ones which entertain us for a few hours, make us think, or inform us.

But - there are a lot of good books out there and time to read tends to be one of the first things squeezed out by life, making you resent time lost to the myriad terrible ones!

So, here is a thread for making book recommendations. Any genre, of course (even poetry!) is welcome.

I would ask though, that you put down a few words about WHY you are recommending it. It makes it more personal and interesting!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:44:47 am by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Good books
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:43:55 am »
I'll start.

I am currently about 3/4 the way through The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers, by Thomas Fleming. I am fascinated by those giants among men at the best of times, so when I saw this at the library it was an automatic yes.

It is well researched and written, with a neat mixture of seriousness and gossip, focusing more on the family life (or rake's progress in Franklin's case - the guy had some serious moves!) and it just rounds them out for me.

bkepley

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 12:56:11 pm »
In no particulat order:

The Conervative Mind From Burke to Elliot
Theodore Ayrault Dodge on Hannibal, Alexander, Frederick, and Ceasar - all are good.
William Manchester The Last Lion parts 1 and 2 - not completely reliable but good reads.
Les Miserables
A Tale of Two Cities

All of these I have read multiple times so I guess I enjoyed them.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 01:19:59 pm »
I've been re-reading and catching up on all the Umberto Eco novels.  I strongly recommend Foucault's Pendulum for anyone that likes to dive into the conspiracy world as it is a good reading on the psychology and archetypes behind conspiracies (why some people see them, why the stories about them stay consistent with varying characters, etc).

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:21:45 pm »
OK, for a totally different genre, I really enjoyed Old Man's War by John Scalzi.  I'm reading the last one now.  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 01:23:17 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:22:53 pm »
I've been re-reading and catching up on all the Umberto Eco novels.  I strongly recommend Foucault's Pendulum for anyone that likes to dive into the conspiracy world as it is a good reading on the psychology and archetypes behind conspiracies (why some people see them, why the stories about them stay consistent with varying characters, etc).

Foucault's Pendulum?

Yes, you are a geek!  (full disclosure, I read it also).

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 03:07:25 am »
Godel, Escher, Bach:  An Eternal Golden Braid

Godzilla

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 04:25:57 am »
Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, by Pu Songling

www.taodirectory.co.uk/phocadownload/strangestoriesf00gilegoog.pdf  (there are better translations, but this one is free)

The Way of Chuang Tzu (Thomas Merton translation)

http://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/MertonChuangTzu.pdf

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, by Luo Guanzhong

http://self.gutenberg.org/wplbn0002827913-romance_of_the_three_kingdoms-by_guanzhong__luo.aspx

Journey to the West, by Wu Chengen

http://self.gutenberg.org/eBooks/WPLBN0002827909-Journey-to-the-West-by-Cheng-en-Wu.aspx

Tale of the Heike (平家物語 Heike Monogatari)

http://library.uoregon.edu/ec/e-asia/read/heike-whole.pdf

[float=left]The sound of the Gion Shōja bells echoes the impermanence of all things; the color of the sāla flowers reveals the truth that the prosperous must decline. The proud do not endure, they are like a dream on a spring night; the mighty fall at last, they are as dust before the wind.[/float]

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 02:24:57 am »
"The Devil's Horsemen" by David Chambers: A highly readable book about the greatest army in history, culminating in the greatest campaign - the Mongol conquest of Russia, and the invasion of Europe in 1241.

"The Nazi Doctors" by Robert Lifton: Lays out the route from U.S eugenics through the T 4 program to the camps. Chilling yet eerily prescient about the road we're on.

"Custer Victorious": Custer's Civil War career.

"Snow and Steel": Battle of the Bulge

"The Desert Fox" by Desmond Young. First of the Rommel biographies. Should be read with the latest, "Field Marshal: The life and death of Erwin Rommel"

"The Lord of the Rings": J.R.R. Tolkien

Anything by H.P Lovecraft and/ or Robert E. Howard
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 07:44:12 pm »
Latest books read, in no particular order:

Selwyn Raab, Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires---The absolute best history I have ever read about the Five Families of New York and the manner in which official and unofficial America did or didn't deal with the Mafia. (Including, among other things, just why J. Edgar Hoover---when it came to the Mafia---had his head so far up his ass he could give you the play by play of his own root canal procedure.)

Peter Guralnick, Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' Roll; How One Man Discovered Howlin' Wolf, Ike Turner, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, and Elvis Presley, and How His Tiny Label Sun Records of Memphis Revolutionised the World---The complete story of Phillips and his legend, and some intriguing commentary on some of his musical discoveries including one of the most poignant looks at Phillips's relationship with Howlin' Wolf---and, of Wolf's early life---you'll ever read.

Peggy Noonan, The Time of Our Lives---a terrific collection of her Wall Street Journal columns and other writings.

Dennis McNally, Highway 61: Music, Race, and the Evolution of Cultural Freedom---As told well by way of such stories as those of Bessie Smith, Charlie Patton, Buddy Bolden (legendary jazz trumpeter), Robert Johnson, the Austin High Gang (a group of young Chicago musicians who went jazz nuts in their teen years; Benny Goodman was only the most famous of the group), Louis Jordan, Miles Davis, Jack Kerouac, Elvis, Bob Dylan, and others. (Note: Among other things their common threads included having been born and reared in places adjacent to Highway 61.)

Charles C.W. Cooke, The Conservatarian Manifesto---You could consider this a contemporary application of the former rightward fusionism most upheld and argued by National Review legend Frank Meyer (in In Defense of Liberty and the columns that made up Meyer's splendid lost anthology The Conservative Mainstream) and, more recently, Ryan Sager (in The Elephant in the Room: Evangelicals, Libertarians, and the Battle for the Soul of the Republican Party).

Paul Trynka, Brian Jones: The Making of the Rolling Stones---The Stones themselves and assorted historiographers have often tried to downplay the role of the band's founder and best musician; this biography restores Jones's place and debunks a small volume of the Stones' mythology. (Hint: it only begins with the fallacy that Keith Richards first got hip to open guitar tunings by way of Ry Cooder.) It affirms Jones could be (and often was) his own worst enemy, but it also affirms that Jones's early music passion---and push to form the Stones in the first place after making a small rep of his own around the Cheltenham and London clubs---had as much to do with the foundation of British blues as any other's.)

Bob Woodward, The Last of the President's Men---As in, Alexander Butterfield, the man who installed and later revealed the Nixon White House taping system, then served as chief of the FAA until Gerald Ford asked him to resign.

F.H. Buckley, The Once and Future King: The Rise of Crown Government in America---Argues very persuasively against Americans' apparent hunger for a kind of "elected monarch" as president: We have now entered into a fourth constitution, one of strong presidential government. The executive has slipped off many of the constraints of the separation of powers. The president makes and unmakes laws without the consent of Congress and spends trillions of government dollars; and the greatest of decisions---whether to commit his country to war---is made by him alone . . . He is rex quondam, rex futurus---the once and future king. And, as the author notes, it didn't begin with Obama.

Frances Wilson, How to Survive the Titanic; or, The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay---Retelling the disaster by way of the enigmatic Ismay's story . . . including the real reason, which Ismay himself couldn't bring himself to disclose at official inquiries, he ended up in one of the lifeboats. (Hint: it actually had nothing to do with any kind of cowardice.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:50:00 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 01:32:11 am »
I would highly recommend William Manchester's three volume bio of Winston Churchill "The Last Lion" which I finished last year. Churchill was one of the most remarkable men in history. Among other things  Manchester provides some interesting info about Churchill's role in the Gallipoli disaster of WWI which  exculpates him from much of the blame. Churchill was not in complete control of the operation, and lesser lights doomed it. But Churchill took all the blame.

Another book I found very interesting was Jonah Goldberg's "Liberal Fascism."  Goldberg, like his columns, is always humorous. But he accurately dissects the liberal movement for more than a century with fascism as its basic impetus.
Every conservative should read Hayek's "The Road To Serfdom." I've yet to read Goldwaters's "Conscience of a Conservative" or Buckley's "Up From Liberalism," but I'll bet they're both  good reads.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 01:39:58 am »
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files are my favorite guilty pleasure. 

He has a great sense of humor, keeps it entertaining, and ties things together throughout the course of the series.

As a side note, James Marsters' narration of the Audible version is amazing.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 01:49:00 am »
That is a very good book.

Yes it is and an essential read for anyone interested in the truth about 20th century  American history.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 03:39:55 am »
Yes it is and an essential read for anyone interested in the truth about 20th century  American history.
McCarthy wasn't perfect. Sometimes he went off in the wrong direction. But he was far more right than wrong.
The biggest truth of McCarthy's quest, the amount of communist influence in government,  is usually ignored or scorned by the usual sources....the lib media.
The facts are during the Roosevelt and into the Truman admin many subversive people were allowed into the fed. gov to influence  policy. There were probably more Alger Hisses out there than were revealed.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 04:17:17 am »
Kids gave me a full set of Watchmen.

It's .... interesting. A hell of a lot more thoughtful than the movie.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 12:51:34 pm »
McCarthy wasn't perfect. Sometimes he went off in the wrong direction. But he was far more right than wrong.

McCarthy was FAR from perfect and his imperfections were used against him with great skill!

The biggest truth of McCarthy's quest, the amount of communist influence in government,  is usually ignored or scorned by the usual sources....the lib media.
The facts are during the Roosevelt and into the Truman admin many subversive people were allowed into the fed. gov to influence  policy. There were probably more Alger Hisses out there than were revealed.

And we are still suffering mightily for that to this very day!  Especially so in the U. S. Department of State. The Soviet Union would have fallen apart under it's own weight LONG before it did without the influence of people like Walter Durante, Armand Hammer and his bought and paid for U.S. Senator Albert Gore Sr., and a great many others.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 03:06:43 pm »
I really enjoyed Wool by Hugh Howey.  There's an omnibus edition through Amazon and I think now a "graphic novel" which I have not seen.  This is the sci-fi/fantasy genre.  The premise being that some kind of destruction has happened on the earth's surface and people now live in a big underground facility.  People are assigned jobs to keep the place running.  There is a camera system to the outside with a big monitor in the top story of the facility so people inside can see how horrible the outside is.  The punishment for committing a crime is to be suited up and sent outside with a ball of wool to clean the lens of the camera; the suit will protect them only temporarily from the outside elements and they end up dying.  Someone that gets sent outside finds out that things aren't what they've been told they are.

I also like Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss.  Another fantasy genre.  It's the story, told by the man, of his youth, growing up in a traveling troupe of musicians/actors, being made an orphan by some mysterious creatures who killed everyone in his troupe except him and his life's mission to get revenge on the killers.

And my third recommendation is The Remaining series by DJ Molles.  Another fantasy/end of the world type novel.  A flu/vaccine combination is mutating people.  The lead character is a man who was contracted by the US gov't to help re-establish civilization in the event of some extinction event.  He has counterparts in each state with the same mission.  After losing complete contact with his gov't contacts after receiving the alert to bunker-down, he makes the mistake of leaving his bunker a few days earlier than the protocol and, although carrying out his original mission, is considered to have gone rogue by whatever gov't is left.

Please don't judge the books based on my pathetic description of them! :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:26:55 pm by RoosGirl »

Offline M1078

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 02:58:01 pm »
I have to admit I read for mindless entertainment.  I don't like non-fiction for the most part as I tend to live that on a daily basis so would rather read for enjoyment.  Typically I lean toward Fantasy having started with Tolkien when I was about 12.  I read the entire Lord of the Rings series, including the Hobbit, every Independence Day weekend from 1976 through about 1984 (I missed 1985 due to a field exercise in the Army and broke the habit).  Now my yearly read is the Harry Potter series as I've grown to like less dark fiction in my older years.  I've also done most of the Rick Riordan young adult Fantasy Books.  It's nice that I can connect with my 4 nieces as they all tend to read the same things.

I started reading Michael Connelly about 2 years ago and have finished all of his Harry Bosch/Lincoln Lawyer books.  We also watched the Amazon TV Bosch Series over the last week (Seasons 1 and 2) and enjoyed those.  They take plot lines from a couple of the books and make a season out of them.  I'm probably going to start over on his series as well.

I've had people ask me how I can read the same book over again since I already know what happens.  My response is "have you ever seen the same movie twice?"  The question is typically asked by someone I glean isn't a big reader to begin with and doesn't feel there is any effort needed in watching a film.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 03:01:06 pm by M1078 »
Former FR macnjac

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 03:08:19 pm »
I'm reading a new 964 page biography by Jan Swafford called Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph that is both thorough and fascinating.

Anyone interested??

Anyone????   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 03:14:02 pm »
I'm reading a new 964 page biography by Jan Swafford called Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph that is both thorough and fascinating.

Anyone interested??

Anyone????   ^-^

I have not yet ventured into the realm of Composer biographies. Perhaps I should.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 03:14:23 pm »
I've just started reading The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes.

It's not my usual genre, to be honest, but so far I'm a fan. 

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 03:53:03 pm »
I have not yet ventured into the realm of Composer biographies. Perhaps I should.

The author is a composer, so there's a lot of musical analysis.  If you know the works, it's clear.  If not, skim.  ^-^

But the personal information, the letters and notes Beethoven wrote, the Heilegenstat Testament, his anguish, his multiple physical maladies, his deeply emotional personality, his "raptus"....where he went into almost a trance and composed, the tremendous resolve in spite of his deafness....... it's just remarkable.

He's been a hero of mine since I was 13 years old, and in spite of the warts, he's one of the most amazing and admirable people who ever walked the face of the earth.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 04:00:00 pm »
Just heading into the last chapter of "A Time For Truth" by Ted Cruz.

I'm angrier at the whole political system than I was before.