Author Topic: Ted Cruz: 'I Stand With Kim Davis'  (Read 11576 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ted Cruz: 'I Stand With Kim Davis'
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:28:33 pm »
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ted-cruz-kim-davis-contempt

ByTierney SneedPublishedSeptember 3, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) rushed to the defense of the Kentucky clerk held in contempt of court Thursday for her refusal to issue gay marriage license and issued a statement calling for "every lover of liberty to stand with Kim Davis."

Davis, the clerk in Rowan county, had stopped issuing licenses to all marriage couples after the Supreme Court decision legalized same-sex marriage and was sued by a group of couples.

"Today, judicial lawlessness crossed into judicial tyranny," Cruz said. "Today, for the first time ever, the government arrested a Christian woman for living according to her faith. This is wrong. This is not America."

Read Cruz's full statement below:

“Today, judicial lawlessness crossed into judicial tyranny. Today, for the first time ever, the government arrested a Christian woman for living according to her faith. This is wrong. This is not America.

“I stand with Kim Davis. Unequivocally. I stand with every American that the Obama Administration is trying to force to chose between honoring his or her faith or complying with a lawless court decision.

“In dissent, Chief Justice Roberts rightly observed that the Court’s marriage decision has nothing to do with the Constitution. Justice Scalia observed that the Court’s decision was so contrary to law that state and local officials would choose to defy it.

“For every politician — Democrat and Republican — who is tut-tutting that Davis must resign, they are defending a hypocritical standard. Where is the call for the mayor of San Francisco to resign for creating a sanctuary city — resulting in the murder of American citizens by criminal illegal aliens welcomed by his lawlessness?

“Where is the call for President Obama to resign for ignoring and defying our immigration laws, our welfare reform laws, and even his own Obamacare?

“When the mayor of San Francisco and President Obama resign, then we can talk about Kim Davis.

“Those who are persecuting Kim Davis believe that Christians should not serve in public office. That is the consequence of their position. Or, if Christians do serve in pubic office, they must disregard their religious faith–or be sent to jail.

“Kim Davis should not be in jail. We are a country founded on Judeo-Christian values, founded by those fleeing religious oppression and seeking a land where we could worship God and live according to our faith, without being imprisoned for doing so.

“I call upon every Believer, every Constitutionalist, every lover of liberty to stand with Kim Davis. Stop the persecution now.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Ted Cruz: 'I Stand With Kim Davis'
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:34:22 pm »
I stand with Ted Cruz.   :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:15 pm »
Ted Cruz rips jailing of Kim Davis: ‘This is not America’

Seth McLaughlin
The Washington Times
September 3, 2015

... Other GOP presidential candidates also panned the decision.

“I think it is absurd to put someone in jail for exercising their religious liberty,” Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky told CNN.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, in a statement, said that putting Ms. Davis in federal custody “removes all doubt of the criminalization of Christianity in our country.”

“This is a reckless, appalling, out-of-control decision that undermines the Constitution of the United States and our fundamental right to religious liberty,” he said.
More

Read Cruz's full statement at TedCruz.org:

Cruz: I Call Upon Every Believer, Every Constitutionalist, Every Lover of Liberty to Stand with Kim Davis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:26:38 pm »
I stand with Ted Cruz.   :patriot:

I do, but not here. Cruz is a lawyer, a Constitutional lawyer at that. As such, he's sworn to uphold the law. He just gave the opposition an issue.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 09:32:22 pm »
I do, but not here. Cruz is a lawyer, a Constitutional lawyer at that. As such, he's sworn to uphold the law. He just gave the opposition an issue.

So tell me exactly what LAW this County clerk has violated!  I don't think there is one but I'm open to being corrected.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:17 pm »
So tell me exactly what LAW this County clerk has violated!  I don't think there is one but I'm open to being corrected.

BigUn, I believe the issue is contempt of court. The judge ordered her to issue the marriage licenses, she refused to comply.

I don't intend to hijack a thread but Matt Walsh has written a thoughtful piece today in support of Kim. I won't quote it but it's worth a read.

"Kim Davis Broke an Illegitimate, Evil Law, and God Bless Her for It"
http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/kim-davis-broke-an-illegitimate-evil-law-and-god-bless-her-for-it/
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

bkepley

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 10:08:39 pm »
Shocker!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14:45 pm »
BigUn, I believe the issue is contempt of court. The judge ordered her to issue the marriage licenses, she refused to comply.

I don't intend to hijack a thread but Matt Walsh has written a thoughtful piece today in support of Kim. I won't quote it but it's worth a read.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/kim-davis-broke-an-illegitimate-evil-law-and-god-bless-her-for-it/

So this judge is holding her in contempt for following the law and upholding her oath of office. No judge has the authority to order anyone to violate the law.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 10:27:01 pm »

Before judging this woman too harshly I hope people will stop and recall that Martin Luther King Jr defied Jim Crow laws.

First amendment was written to protect religious liberties. An assistant or other clerk could have issued a license and preserved Kim Davis' right to religious conscience. But, the left needs their scapegoat.

bkepley

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 10:30:46 pm »
Before judging this woman too harshly I hope people will stop and recall that Martin Luther King Jr defied Jim Crow laws.

First amendment was written to protect religious liberties. An assistant or other clerk could have issued a license and preserved Kim Davis' right to religious conscience. But, the left needs their scapegoat.

Is there anyone here judging her harshly?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 11:00:00 pm »
The word "before" qualified the word "judging."  In other words, stop to consider (my point) prior to judging.

Oy vey.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 11:06:37 pm »
Interesting.  We have conservatives supporting a woman who is defying a Supreme Court ruling, which is, effectively, law.

The same conservatives who squeal about Obama's defiance of the law.

The law is the law. We either uphold the laws until we can overturn them, or we're as corrupt as Obama.

One of her subordinates is now granting those licenses.  So, what has she gained? Other than a nod from an opportunist like Ted Cruz?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 11:09:15 pm »

If this was about religious liberty, Davis would have resigned.  But, instead, she acts as if she is above the law. She forbade any of her people to issue licenses, until she was carted off to the hoosegow. Now one of her subordinates is issuing the licenses. 

It's no surprise to see a Democrat imitate the lawbreaker-in-chief.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 11:12:05 pm »
Interesting.  We have conservatives supporting a woman who is defying a Supreme Court ruling, which is, effectively, law.

The law is the law. We either uphold the laws until we can overturn them, or we're as corrupt as Obama.

One of her subordinates is now granting those licenses.  So, what has she gained? Other than a nod from an opportunist like Ted Cruz?

:amen:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 11:13:11 pm »

The law goes against her RELIGIOUS BELIEFS which is (supposed to be) protected under the 1st amendment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

bkepley

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 11:15:52 pm »
The word "before" qualified the word "judging."  In other words, stop to consider (my point) prior to judging.

Oy vey.

Well then there is sinkspur but as long as she is willing to pay the price I won't put her down.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 11:16:37 pm »
The law goes against her RELIGIOUS BELIEFS which is (supposed to be) protected under the 1st amendment.

Her religious beliefs are protected under the 1st Amendment.

Her right to feed at the public trough is not.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 11:16:47 pm »

No Sink! It is NOT law effectively or otherwise! Courts render OPINIONS and do not write laws!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 11:18:09 pm »
If this was about religious liberty, Davis would have resigned.  But, instead, she acts as if she is above the law. She forbade any of her people to issue licenses, until she was carted off to the hoosegow. Now one of her subordinates is issuing the licenses. 

It's no surprise to see a Democrat imitate the lawbreaker-in-chief.

And doing exactly as her oath of office required her to do which is FOLLOW THE LAW!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:18:54 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 11:20:26 pm »

Her religious beliefs do not guarantee her a job. If she violates the terms of her employment, she can be terminated or, in this case, put in jail until she relents.

What's her problem?  Just let her subordinates issue the licenses.  She doesn't have to put her name on any of them.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 11:20:47 pm »
If we are going to defend this lady's right to "follow her beliefs", can I see an equally spirited defense being made in this thread please?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:21:20 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

bkepley

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 11:24:44 pm »
I doubt if Cruz would have jumped on this bandwagon if she'd have been muslim but it would have considerably improved my perception of him as a serious man had she been a muslim and he jumped to her defense for constitutional reasons.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2015, 11:25:38 pm »
If we are going to defend this lady's right to "follow her beliefs", can I see an equally spirited defense being made in this thread please?

I, for one, am not arguing about her religious beliefs one way or the other. What I AM arguing about is the LAW that this woman swore to follow and I see no law on the books in the state of Kentucky that says she is authorized to issue a marriage license to a same sex couple! Can anyone show me that law?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:27:01 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur