Author Topic: McConnell: Defunding Planned Parenthood must wait for new president  (Read 1208 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/252394-mcconnell-defunding-planned-parenthood-must-wait-for-new-president

By Peter Sullivan - 09/01/15 09:17 AM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says that defunding Planned Parenthood will have to wait for a new president in 2017.

“The president’s made it very clear he’s not going to sign any bill that includes defunding of Planned Parenthood, so that’s another issue that awaits a new president, hopefully with a different point of view about Planned Parenthood,” McConnell said Monday on the Kentucky station WYMT’s “Issues and Answers.”

Defunding Planned Parenthood has become a leading cause among some Republicans in the wake of controversial undercover videos showing Planned Parenthood officials discussing the price of fetal tissue for medical research. Planned Parenthood, while apologizing for the tone, denies wrongdoing, saying officials are discussing legal compensation for expenses and pointing to an analysis that the videos are heavily edited.

McConnell said that the Senate would vote again on defunding Planned Parenthood after a failed Senate vote last month, but he said that the votes are not there.

“We just don’t have the votes to get the outcome that we’d like,” he said. “Again, the president has the pen to sign it. If he doesn’t sign it, it doesn’t happen. But, yeah, we voted on that already in the Senate, we’ll vote on it again, but I would remind all of your viewers the way you make a law in this country, the Congress has to pass it and the president has to sign it.”

However, McConnell will be under pressure from members like Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and other presidential candidates not to include any Planned Parenthood funding in the larger government spending bill this fall. If President Obama then vetoed that bill, as expected, there would be a government shutdown.

McConnell vowed last month that the government will not shut down over the issue, noting the failure of previous Republican efforts and saying, “We’ve been down this path before.”

Still, even some more-establishment Republicans have said they would have trouble voting for a spending bill that included Planned Parenthood funds.

The House could also vote on a standalone bill to defund Planned Parenthood when lawmakers return this month in an effort to lessen pressure to defund the group in the spending bill.

Hearings are also expected from the House committees investigating the group.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: McConnell: Defunding Planned Parenthood must wait for new president
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:06:05 pm »
I despise this guy.  What a chickenshit.   **nononono*

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »
McConnell apparently believes the President is the dictator.  He has been emasculated by Obama.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 04:29:33 pm »

I think he must be French! Surrender at all cost!  8888crybaby
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:58:45 pm »
What a pyle of shiite!

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:00:29 pm »
“We just don’t have the votes to get the outcome that we’d like,” he said. “Again, the president has the pen to sign it. If he doesn’t sign it, it doesn’t happen. But, yeah, we voted on that already in the Senate, we’ll vote on it again, but I would remind all of your viewers the way you make a law in this country, the Congress has to pass it and the president has to sign it.”
   :chairbang:

Offline Longiron

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 06:00:16 pm »
Everyone complains about the TURTLE and BONER caving before the fight even starts BUT what else do you expect from the RINOGOP One party System. A FIGHTER comes along and they complain about his TONE, say he is not conservative for things said 16-30 years ago but yet get Piss** off when the current idiots CAVE and support more of the same in their candidate of CHOICE. What is missing here??? :thud:

Offline raml

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 08:41:48 pm »
True republicans are what is missing. We have none anymore.

rangerrebew

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:13 pm »
I'd be willing to bet a new majority leader could pass it.  If things were turned around a repugnantcans supported PPH and the commiecrats wanted to defund it, Harry Reid would get it through. :bs:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:25:24 pm »
There's always something with these people.  There's always that on step more.  This is why Rand Paul is not allowed.  He supported this numbskull.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:31:49 pm »
True republicans are what is missing. We have none anymore.

Ted Cruz 2016!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Godzilla

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 12:16:41 am »
The next President, eh?

A Democratic President will not defund it.  You know that, I know that, we all know that.

---

Now, which Republican nominees *WOULD* defunded it if given the opportunity?

Out of those, which one do you support?

For if this is an issue for you, you ought to suppost one of those.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 12:17:25 am »
There's always something with these people.  There's always that on step more.  This is why Rand Paul is not allowed.  He supported this numbskull.

Rand Paul did it to himself by supporting McConnell over a conservative in the KY recent election. He threw the TP under the bus for McConnell and they put Paul in office and McConnell supported Paul competitor. Had to catch up with Paul sooner or later: Cannot be trusted, No street smarts and terrible judgement.  It took no political genius to see through McConnell BUT Paul made the wrong judgement call and PAID the price. Was a good guy until he showed his true colors. IMO will have a hard time in KY and watch McConnell screw him in a heart beat.

bkepley

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 12:33:18 am »
Rand Paul did it to himself by supporting McConnell over a conservative in the KY recent election. He threw the TP under the bus for McConnell and they put Paul in office and McConnell supported Paul competitor. Had to catch up with Paul sooner or later: Cannot be trusted, No street smarts and terrible judgement.  It took no political genius to see through McConnell BUT Paul made the wrong judgement call and PAID the price. Was a good guy until he showed his true colors. IMO will have a hard time in KY and watch McConnell screw him in a heart beat.

Strange to see you pretend to be concerned about crimes committed by Planned Parenthood when your hero seems to think that's all a crank.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 01:52:47 am »
Here is a FACT!

The House of representatives can defund Planned Parenthood all by themselves! They only need to refuse to include any funds for that purpose in anything they pass and refuse to agree to change that under any circumstance and it's done!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 01:59:19 am »

You have no idea how the Senate works, apparently.  You and those hair-on-fire conservatives are constitutionally stupid.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 02:00:36 am »
Everyone complains about the TURTLE and BONER caving before the fight even starts BUT what else do you expect from the RINOGOP One party System. A FIGHTER comes along and they complain about his TONE, say he is not conservative for things said 16-30 years ago but yet get Piss** off when the current idiots CAVE and support more of the same in their candidate of CHOICE. What is missing here??? :thud:

Just what would Trump do if the Democrats filibustered a defunding or Planned Parenthood in the Senate?

I'll tell you what he would do.  He would love it. He loves Planned Parenthood.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 03:14:46 am »
[[ McConnell: Defunding Planned Parenthood must wait for new president ]]

... and hopefully a new Senate majority leader as well !!

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 10:10:26 am »
Just what would Trump do if the Democrats filibustered a defunding or Planned Parenthood in the Senate?

I'll tell you what he would do.  He would love it. He loves Planned Parenthood.

It's obviously not what the f*ck Trump would do.  It's WTF McConnel and Boehner are NOT DOING!  They were elected as a firewall to do whatever it was they could do to stop Caligula.  They and most of those elected couldn't give a flying f*ck and basically gave the finger to those who elected them.
As for Trump, he's been controlling the discussion and leading the other candidates as if they were bulls with rings in their noses.  What's that say to me?  LEADER!  You know what really pisses me off?  I really didn't want to vote for the man.  I wanted some other candidate to rise to the occasion.  But no, we get mealy-mouthed imposters.
Take your piss-poor attitude and bow-tie and go pound sand.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 12:03:43 pm »
It's obviously not what the f*ck Trump would do.  It's WTF McConnel and Boehner are NOT DOING!  They were elected as a firewall to do whatever it was they could do to stop Caligula.  They and most of those elected couldn't give a flying f*ck and basically gave the finger to those who elected them.
As for Trump, he's been controlling the discussion and leading the other candidates as if they were bulls with rings in their noses.  What's that say to me?  LEADER!  You know what really pisses me off?  I really didn't want to vote for the man.  I wanted some other candidate to rise to the occasion.  But no, we get mealy-mouthed imposters.
Take your piss-poor attitude and bow-tie and go pound sand.
WOW! Good post North. Now tell us what you really think about the RINOGOP leaders? :silly:

Offline evadR

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 12:19:26 pm »
RINOGOP leaders? :silly:

What I really think about the RINOGOPe leaders is that they will constantly disappoint us.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 01:13:39 pm »
WOW! Good post North. Now tell us what you really think about the RINOGOP leaders? :silly:

Yeah, I'm disappointed in myself for not mentioning they couldn't mobilize an erection.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 03:18:15 pm »
You have no idea how the Senate works, apparently.  You and those hair-on-fire conservatives are constitutionally stupid.

Guess again, Sink.