Author Topic: BMW: All Models Electric Within Decade  (Read 722 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
BMW: All Models Electric Within Decade
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:05:29 am »
http://www.nasdaq.com/article/bmw-all-models-electric-within-decade-20150629-00597&?utm=twitter

German luxury car giant Bayerische Motoren Werke AG or BMW Group (BAMXY, BAMXF, BMW.L) is looking to go all-electric over the next 10 years due to the upcoming stricter carbon emission laws. Virtually every BMW model would be converted to electric drivetrains, including range-extending engines and plug-in hybrids. The transition will see even the company's top-selling 3 Series sport sedans turned into plug-in hybrids.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Oceander

Re: BMW: All Models Electric Within Decade
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:14 am »
If it works, it works.  Let the market decide.

Electric, if done right, can really tromp all over gasoline-powered.  I recall reading about someone who stuck fork lift electric motors into a little datsun (or something), filled the rest of it with batteries, and managed to beat so many gasoline powered drag racers that he had to start a separate drag racing organization for electric cars.

That being said, government-mandated electric cars are not the way to go.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:46:08 am »
All of the top line European car makers are working with hybrid, in various configurations.

A cool one coming soon is an Audi A3 e-tron plug in hybrid. It is supposed to be priced attractively, give longer range on electric only, etc. It will be a small four door wagon btw.

For you American car lovers, GM will have a new version of the Chevy Volt, which is effectively a plug in hybrid, with range extender.

Ford has their C-Max in straight hybrid, and in plug-in hybrid. Same for Toyota Prius.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 01:09:51 am »
All of the top line European car makers are working with hybrid, in various configurations.

A cool one coming soon is an Audi A3 e-tron plug in hybrid. It is supposed to be priced attractively, give longer range on electric only, etc. It will be a small four door wagon btw.

For you American car lovers, GM will have a new version of the Chevy Volt, which is effectively a plug in hybrid, with range extender.

Ford has their C-Max in straight hybrid, and in plug-in hybrid. Same for Toyota Prius.

Like I said, if it can survive in the market, then I'm all for it.  I do, however, object to the government continuing to put its thumb on the scales with subsidies.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 01:13:27 am »

Like I said, if it can survive in the market, then I'm all for it.  I do, however, object to the government continuing to put its thumb on the scales with subsidies.

Absolutely! If the market demands electric cars there will be no need of subsidies!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien