Author Topic: Walker: Poll numbers will improve  (Read 879 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Walker: Poll numbers will improve
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:55:35 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/252275-walker-polls-will-improve

August 30, 2015, 11:18 am
Walker: Poll numbers will improve

By Julian Hattem

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s (R) standing in the GOP presidential race will improve once people understand the turnaround he managed in his home state, he said on Sunday.

“When people see the benefits of our reforms — just like they did four years ago — I think our numbers will go up again,” Walker said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“Four years ago, I was so low in the polls they called me ‘Dead Man Walker,’ because back then, we were pushing big, bold reforms,” he said. “A year later, I won the recall with a higher number of votes.”

“Why? Because our reforms worked.”

“I'm the kind of leader who's going to go out and say, ‘I don't care about the next election,’” Walker added. “I care about what's right for the next generation.”

Walker’s made his comments amid the increasing rise of Donald Trump, whose dominance over the Republican primary competition has now lasted for weeks.

Walker is currently ranked sixth in RealClearPolitics' polling average, with support in the single digits among Republican backers.

The Wisconsin governor denied that Trump is affecting his game plan, and instead compared himself to both President Barack Obama and former Republican nominees John McCain and Mitt Romney, all of whom were behind at this point in previous races.

“For us, I think the biggest spark for us is getting the message out that now's not the time to put in place someone who hasn't been tested before,” Walker said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Walker: Poll numbers will improve
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 06:18:29 pm »
He had a very impressive announcement speech, that wowed! me, but that excitement was deflated at the first debate. Still a long ways to go, and many more debates, but he needs to keeps his numbers up so at least he can keep his seat at the main events. That goes with any of the now-top 10. It would be far easier to do, if Trump wasn't steeling all the medias attention. All you see is what Trump said today on the campaign trail. Nothing at all mentioned about probably very impressive speeches from other candidates - unless they mention trumps name.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 07:45:08 pm »
He had a very impressive announcement speech, that wowed! me, but that excitement was deflated at the first debate. Still a long ways to go, and many more debates, but he needs to keeps his numbers up so at least he can keep his seat at the main events. That goes with any of the now-top 10. It would be far easier to do, if Trump wasn't steeling all the medias attention. All you see is what Trump said today on the campaign trail. Nothing at all mentioned about probably very impressive speeches from other candidates - unless they mention trumps name.
The good thing about it is that this is the silly season, when a lot of the sideshow candidates get their moment in the sun. Now, the lack of the Straw Poll this time around has changed the dynamic a bit, but the basic structure remains. By autumn, a lot of them will be out of the race (or at least non-factors) and onto their next book, media project, etc. If history's any indicator, Trump will probably be in that list. (Of course, history indicated that Trump wouldn't even get into this race, given how many times he said he might run for office and then said never mind, so take that as you will.)

If I'm a guy like Scott Walker, I'm laying low for now—keeping my presence in a few key early states, but not trying to waste my resources on trying to fight Trump. Nothing's sticking to Trump right now and trying to go up against him directly, with the electorate refusing to listen, is just wasting resources he'll need when the voting actually counts. He has enough of a solid record and an organic appeal that staying in the upper echelon shouldn't be that difficult. As long as he doesn't totally disappear, he'll be in better position come January when the crowd thins out.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 12:35:31 am »
The good thing about it is that this is the silly season, when a lot of the sideshow candidates get their moment in the sun. Now, the lack of the Straw Poll this time around has changed the dynamic a bit, but the basic structure remains. By autumn, a lot of them will be out of the race (or at least non-factors) and onto their next book, media project, etc. If history's any indicator, Trump will probably be in that list. (Of course, history indicated that Trump wouldn't even get into this race, given how many times he said he might run for office and then said never mind, so take that as you will.)

If I'm a guy like Scott Walker, I'm laying low for now—keeping my presence in a few key early states, but not trying to waste my resources on trying to fight Trump. Nothing's sticking to Trump right now and trying to go up against him directly, with the electorate refusing to listen, is just wasting resources he'll need when the voting actually counts. He has enough of a solid record and an organic appeal that staying in the upper echelon shouldn't be that difficult. As long as he doesn't totally disappear, he'll be in better position come January when the crowd thins out.

This is sounds like very good advice and sound analysis.  Governor Walker has been reacting to Trump.  What he should be doing is running on his compelling record and going after the practical Republicans who would like to talk about issues other than immigration.  Like jobs, taxes, Obamacare, jobs, guns, faith, abortion...and jobs.  Those issues are important to the base, and Governor Walker has an actual record and proposals to back it up.

Some one on another thread said you seem older than your years.  I agree.