Author Topic: Donald Trump is set to blow up GOP orthodoxy -- again  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Donald Trump is set to blow up GOP orthodoxy -- again
« on: August 30, 2015, 04:14:10 am »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2571075

By Byron York • 8/29/15 11:45 PM

First Donald Trump antagonized the Republican establishment with his proposals on immigration. Then he irritated some with his stand on Social Security. Now Trump is preparing a tax proposal that will again set him far apart from the party's powers-that-be.

The problem for the establishment is that Trump's positions on all three issues are more in line with the majority of American voters than the establishment's preferred policies. By using his popularity to force outside-the-GOP-box ideas into the Republican presidential debate, Trump is displaying an uncanny sense of the divisions between voters and the GOP power structure.

Trump has been sending signals that his tax proposal, which he says will be "comprehensive," will include higher rates for some of the richest Americans, a position generally at odds with Republican orthodoxy. "I want to see lower taxes," Trump said at an appearance in Norwood, Massachusetts Friday night. "But on some people, they're not doing their fair share."

In particular, Trump has said he will go after "carried interest," which refers to the practice of hedge fund managers who make hundreds of millions of dollars a year paying a lower tax rate than Americans who earn ordinary wages. "I would take carried interest out, and I would let people making hundreds of millions of dollars a year pay some tax, because right now they are paying very little tax and I think it's outrageous," Trump told Bloomberg Politics last week. "I want to lower taxes for the middle class."

"Hedge fund guys have to pay up," Trump said Friday on MSNBC. "I'm going to lower taxes, but these hedge fund guys are making a lot of money -- I have friends who laugh about how little they pay -- and it's not fair to the middle class."

Trump appears to have a special concern about hedge fund executives -- "They don't really build anything, they shuffle paper," he said on MSNBC. But his comments to Bloomberg suggest he might also target "people making hundreds of millions of dollars a year" in a more general way. Asked about a broad policy of increasing taxes on the super rich, Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski would say little about Trump's intentions, but noted that "Mr. Trump has said that he does not mind paying what is required to make our country great again."

Raising taxes on anyone, even the super rich, has generally been anathema to Republicans for a generation. But Trump will probably find a receptive ear among American voters overall. An academic study by Stanford professor David Broockman and Berkeley Ph.D candidate Douglas Ahler -- a study that also had revealing findings about immigration -- suggests that Trump's views on taxes are closer to the public's than those of Republican elites.

In the paper, Broockman and Ahler examined a broad range of public opinion on several issues. They conducted a poll in which respondents, rather than being given either-or policy options, were presented with a range of seven different possibilities on a particular issue, from the far left to the far right. On the question of federal taxes, these are the options Broockman and Ahler presented to respondents:

Alright conservatives time to soak the rich...I can't wait to hear Rush tie himself in knots Monday.

Offline famousdayandyear

Re: Donald Trump is set to blow up GOP orthodoxy -- again
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 05:18:48 am »

Alright conservatives time to soak the rich...I can't wait to hear Rush tie himself in knots Monday.

And while we wait for Rush and you and who knows else to tie themselves in knots, the friggin country I love is being DESTROYED.  And the best you can do is mock and deride those of us who are freakin sick of being the fall guys for a bunch of traitorous thieves, racketeers, and slicker than sh*t carnival weasels.

What is it you do not get?  Move to a place you like better and leave the rest of us alone.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:14:09 am »
And while we wait for Rush and you and who knows else to tie themselves in knots, the friggin country I love is being DESTROYED.  And the best you can do is mock and deride those of us who are freakin sick of being the fall guys for a bunch of traitorous thieves, racketeers, and slicker than sh*t carnival weasels.

What is it you do not get?  Move to a place you like better and leave the rest of us alone.
Who are you calling slick?

You act as if my opinion is "deriding" you, but you're sick of the way the world works, you're powerless to stop it, and your going to be sick of the way the world works, once again, after the elections.  That ain't my fault. 

I'm not buying what Trump is selling even if you see the world crumbling around you.  It is not even Sept and there is a 100% certainty that I will not vote for Trump in the WI primary.  You may throw your vote away on an extremely mockable pipedream if you chose.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:26:58 am »
I apologize.  Just noticed your avatar which indicates you may be in a gender transitioning phase which must be very trying.  But since you reside in a Northern state that tried to recall your governor, the emotional stress will probably not be much of a burden.  So good luck to the him/her you are looking for.

And while you're coping with your identity, lose the snark. Waste your time some place else.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:33:04 am »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 01:55:29 pm »
I'm not buying what Trump is selling even if you see the world crumbling around you.  It is not even Sept and there is a 100% certainty that I will not vote for Trump in the WI primary.  You may throw your vote away on an extremely mockable pipedream if you chose.

You don't like and won't vote for Trump so you relentlessly deride both the candidate and his supporters   Fair enough.

If your goal is to change hearts and minds, tell us who you support with the same passion. Why not make the case for him or her instead of solely a case against Trump?   

bkepley

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:06:37 pm »

I don't know about "soaking the rich" but the "super rich"  seem to be always complaining they aren't taxed enough. Fine..raise their taxes.  Better look at the fine print though and of course the rich can always move somewhere else.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 03:33:42 pm »
If your goal is to change hearts and minds, tell us who you support with the same passion. Why not make the case for him or her instead of solely a case against Trump?

OK, I'm game.   I have lots of material  I can share about Dr. Ben Carson, the voice of "sanity" in this election..........and unlike Trump, and several other candidates running, nobody can question his conservatism. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 03:39:39 pm »
OK, I'm game.   I have lots of material  I can share about Dr. Ben Carson, the voice of "sanity" in this election..........and unlike Trump, and several other candidates running, nobody can question his conservatism.

LOL!  "Ghandi"?

He's a wonderful man!  You'd trust him to babysit your children or grandchildren without hesitation.

President?   Don't think he has any chance of winning.  Not with your only resume enhancement is saving a human life...or mind.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 03:43:54 pm »

Dr. Carson may be a fine man.  He is NOT Presidential timber.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 04:17:25 pm »

He in control of his emotions every waking moment. 

And his voice tone..."Here we have an articulate black man with no black dialect...unless he wants one"..., er, excuse me,  :laugh:

I cannot picture Dr. Ben Carson ever being foot-stompin' excited.

But I love the man.  Glad he speaks from our side.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline evadR

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 04:28:20 pm »
 ".........and of course the rich can always move somewhere else."

They sure can. Maryland and OweMalley proved that.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 04:35:11 pm »
You apparently favor lifelong career political hacks, to a private citizen that excelled in a field entirely outside government.

However polls on the Republican side indicate voters that would be willing to take a chance on a Trump, or a Carson or a Fiorina.

You may recall the rise of Ross Perot until he self-destructed. I felt at the time he could have won it.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 06:37:51 pm »
I would have no problem with Dr. Carson being president. I know of nothing that would disqualify him as far as his positions.
I think people confuse his demeanor with being un-presidential.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

bkepley

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 06:41:49 pm »
I would have no problem with Dr. Carson being president. I know of nothing that would disqualify him as far as his positions.

His demeanor is at least as presidential as Trump's but in a polar opposite way.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 07:14:46 pm »

Not sure what you mean by demeanor, but there was another candidate that was an easy target for his un- presidential too-stoic demeanor, ugly physical attributes, including his extraordinary six-foot-four-inch height, large hands, over-sized ears, prominent nose and ungainly gait, that provided easy targets for ridicule. Abraham Lincoln.   I would rather have somebody that is soft-spoken and speaks the truth, than the loud-guy at the end of the bar that calls everyone stupid, and he is the only one that can fix the problems.

Carson was brilliant on his response to the Black Lives Matter movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umu0NvGP7iQ
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:29:25 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

bkepley

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 07:24:14 pm »
Not sure what you mean by demeanor. I would rather have somebody that is soft-spoken and speaks the truth, than the loud-guy at the end of the bar that calls everyone stupid, and he is the only one that can fix it.

Carson was brilliant on his response to the Black Lives Matter movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umu0NvGP7iQ
Trump's fan club always harps on his accomplishments.  I like Carson's better.

Godzilla

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 08:03:46 pm »
Carson would be a good choice.

He'd need help on the administrative side, though.  (ie: How do you do anything at the Presidential level... like the paperwork for nominating a Supreme Court judge, or negotiating a treaty, or selecting Cabinet members, etc, etc, etc.)

But on just the numbers side, I find that Rubio and Kasich bring the most to the table... with them being able to deliver Florida or Ohio (or both in a joint ticket).

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:07 pm »

I respectfully disagree.  He might be just what the doctor ordered.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline olde north church

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:18:24 pm »
You apparently favor lifelong career political hacks, to a private citizen that excelled in a field entirely outside government.

However polls on the Republican side indicate voters that would be willing to take a chance on a Trump, or a Carson or a Fiorina.

You may recall the rise of Ross Perot until he self-destructed. I felt at the time he could have won it.

I have more experience around neurosurgeons than anyone would want to ever have.  They are very good people.  They are very measured people.  They are very focused people.  They are people who can take charge of one situation at a time.  They are not people who can juggle 10000 plates at one time.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

bkepley

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 09:46:13 pm »
I have more experience around neurosurgeons than anyone would want to ever have.  They are very good people.  They are very measured people.  They are very focused people.  They are people who can take charge of one situation at a time.  They are not people who can juggle 10000 plates at one time.

bkepley

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 09:50:24 pm »

Probably not the one to break all 10000 plates which used to be the main point.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 09:51:00 pm »
Ben Carson is more than just a neurosurgeon who one day chose to run for President. He is not a new kid on the block when it comes to being a part in restoring America. It’s been a long-time  passion of his and there is no question that he is as much of reason to be sitting on top as Trump has –and in my opinion more so.   

He authored many of books on the topic, with titles such as:
• One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America’s Future.
• A More Perfect Union: What the People can Do ro Reclaim Our Constitutional Liberties
• America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great
• One Vote: Make Your Voice Heard

During the same period Carson was writing these books, Trump was greasing political skids, with the majority his donations going to  Democrats. And the only political book trump wrote was just this year, called what else, "Make America Great Again".  His handful of other books, and you can check Amazon if you doubt me, is all about getting rich in business, with titles such as  How to get Rich, The Art of the deal.   

Offline Carling

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 10:21:26 pm »

To be fair, Dr. Carson accepted plenty of government help in his education,  had to use food stamps as a child, along with various research grants.  None of that is a negative to me at all.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

bkepley

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:18 pm »
To be fair, Dr. Carson accepted plenty of government help in his education,  had to use food stamps as a child, along with various research grants.  None of that is a negative to me at all.

So why do you bring it up?