Author Topic: Call me 'ze,' not 'he': University wants everyone to use 'gender inclusive' pronouns  (Read 1013 times)

Offline EdinVA

For all you folks who went to school back when there were only him and her – here’s a primer: some of the new gender neutral pronouns are ze, hir, zir, xe, xem and xyr.

“These may sound a little funny at first, but only because they are new,” Braquet explained. “The ‘she’ and ‘he’ pronouns would sound strange too if we had been taught ‘ze’ when growing up.”

Somehow I sincerely doubt that, but whatever. Anything goes for the sake of inclusivity, right?

“Instead of calling roll, ask everyone to provide their name and pronouns,” she wrote. “This ensures you are not singling out transgender or non-binary students.”

For example, the birth certificate might say that Big Earl is a male. But what if Big Earl identifies as a lady who wants to be called Lawanda?

According to the procedures outlined by the folks at the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, the professor is obligated to call Big Earl – Lawanda – or whatever name makes Big Earl feel more included.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/08/27/call-me-ze-not-university-wants-everyone-to-use-gender-inclusive-pronouns.html?intcmp=hpbt4

Offline andy58-in-nh

Our dominant culture's War on Reality is not without its unintentionally, and humorously absurd moments.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

I would like to have an honorific that wasn't tied to gender.  I hate trying to guess someone's gender when their name is not stereotypically genderized.  I also get annoyed from time to time when someone gives me the wrong honorific.  For the record, I am Mr., not Mrs. or Ms.; however, I have a name that was traditionally given to men but which has of late been given to a lot of women as well, to the point were the basic assumption is that it is a woman's name.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Ze sounds like some bad comic book villain.

Oceander

Ze sounds like some bad comic book villain.

Ze Fronch agree.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Has anyone here read Ayn Rand's "Anthem".... ?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
What's wrong with the pronoun specifically intended for this kind of situation: it? That saves us the trouble of making up pronouns seemingly to get more use out of the letter z in the alphabet.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Godzilla

Ze Frank1 has a YouTube channel.

It is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k01DIVDJlY