Author Topic: Julianne Moore: Rename my high school  (Read 1237 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Julianne Moore: Rename my high school
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:22:48 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/24/us/julianne-moore-petition-j-e-b-stuart-school-feat/index.html

By Brandon Griggs, CNN

Updated 5:33 PM ET, Mon August 24, 2015

CNN)The recent movement to scrub the American South of Confederate flags and names, which many view as pro-slavery symbols, has a new celebrity supporter: Julianne Moore.

The Academy Award-winning actress has teamed with movie producer Bruce Cohen in launching an online petition to change the name of J.E.B. Stuart High School in Falls Church, Virginia, arguing that the name represents a "history of racism."

Moore and Cohen both attended the school, named for a Confederate general and Virginia native who was killed in battle during the Civil War.

"No one should have to apologize for the name of the public high school you attended and the history of racism it represents, as we and so many alumni of Stuart have felt the need to do our whole lives," they said in the petition.

As of Monday afternoon more than 28,000 people had signed the petition, posted on Change.org.

"When we were at J.E.B. Stuart in the late '70's, the school symbol was Stuart riding a horse and waving the Confederate flag. The Confederate flag was at the center of our basketball court and on our athletic letter jackets and wasn't removed until 2001 -- but the symbol of Stuart on a horse waving a flag (now solid blue) remains," they wrote.

"The killings of nine African Americans in Charleston, South Carolina by a white supremacist who proudly flew and wore the Confederate battle flag was a tragic reminder of how these symbols of hate continue to fuel racism and violence," they said. "And it's sparked a national conversation about the appropriateness of honoring the Confederacy, especially in institutions of learning."

Poll: Majority sees Confederate flag as Southern pride symbol, not racist

Moore and Cohen suggest renaming the school to honor Thurgood Marshall, the late civil rights leader who became the first African-American justice of the Supreme Court. Marshall lived in the Falls Church area, just outside Washington during the later years of his life.

The name-change campaign comes on the heels of a similar online petition, filed last month by a group called Alumni For Change, urging the Fairfax County school board to rename J.E.B. Stuart High School and others named for Confederate general Robert E. Lee and former schools superintendent W.T. Woodson. That petition has more than 1,100 signatures.

Officials at J.E.B. Stuart High School referred CNN to a statement by Pat Hynes, chair of the Fairfax County school board:

"Recent events across the country have raised important questions about the symbols we choose to represent our communities. In Fairfax, this includes the names of some of our school buildings. We recognize that there are legitimate concerns of students, parents and communities in these schools and whether those names best reflect their community.

The Confederate battle flag comes down

"We also recognize that there are historic, legacy, and financial concerns in making changes in the names of schools. Current and former students have initiated this dialogue and we will work with our communities to hear all sides of this discussion and work collaboratively to address this issue."

Renaming the school would not be an unprecedented step. In 2014 an online campaign was successful in renaming a high school in Jacksonville, Florida, that was named for Nathan Bedford Forrest, a leader of the Ku Klux Klan.

Moore attended J.E.B. Stuart from 1975-1977. A star of such films as "Boogie Nights," "The End of the Affair" and the "Hunger Games" series, she won a Best Actress Oscar earlier this year for her role in "Still Alice."

Cohen is a veteran Hollywood producer whose credits include "Silver Linings Playbook," "Milk" and "American Beauty," for which he won an Oscar. He graduated from J.E.B. Stuart in 1979. He and Moore have been friends since the eighth grade, they said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Julianne Moore: Rename my high school
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:50:38 pm »
What is Southern pride? What are they uniquely proud of? Why the separate identity needed?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:54:39 pm »

Hopefully there weren't any slave-owners in the South named Moore else little Julianne would have to change her stage name as well...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:24 pm »
Dear Julianne:  go f... 

Never mind.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:45:28 pm »
Jumping on the bandwagon trying to stay relevant.....

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 09:17:29 pm »
"Moore is quite liberal, and has something to say about nearly every liberal rallying point. First of all, she was a huge Obama supporter, particularly during his bid for reelection in 2012. Her main concern at the time seemed to be women’s rights (she sits on the board of advocates of Planned Parenthood by the way). She said in a PSA about Obama:

'Millions of women rely on Planned Parenthood for their basic health care. And it is up to us — to every woman across the country       to support the only presidential candidate who gets this'.

She’s a major supporter of gay rights and gay marriage, a topic for which she also did a PSA.

Moore’s latest issue du jour, according to her Twitter feed, looks to be gun control. Check it out for factoids and advocacy of strict gun regulations."

http://hollowverse.com/julianne-moore/
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 02:04:27 pm »
Hopefully there weren't any slave-owners in the South named Moore else little Julianne would have to change her stage name as well...

888bravo

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 07:03:36 pm »

You could have something there. Didn't take me a second to find Confederate brigadier general John Creed Moore.  But her real name is Julie Anne Smith. Now I could do a search for Confederates,  especially those that were slave owners with the last name of "Smith",  but there this whole band-width thing I got to worry about. 

By the way my elementary school was named after  William Tecumseh Sherman who in mine and most public opinion in the south was a war criminal of the worse kind, with his 'final solution" strategy. Not just during the Civil War, but in the Indian wars following, and in his views of how freed slaves to be treated, which was not much better that slavery itself.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 08:07:06 pm »
            "No one should have to apologize for the name of the public high school you attended and the history of racism it represents, as we and so many alumni of Stuart have felt the need to do our whole lives," they said in the petition.   
Ahhhh Go f**** a duck
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton