Author Topic: Boy, was I wrong about Donald Trump. Here’s why...By Chris Cillizza  (Read 12489 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/08/04/boy-was-i-wrong-about-donald-trump-heres-why/

Boy, was I wrong about Donald Trump. Here’s why.
By Chris Cillizza August 4 at 10:57 AM

Donald Trump is now doubling the rest of the Republican field in the average of the last five national polls. And polling out of early states like New Hampshire puts him in the pole position in those places too.

All of which makes having written a piece on June 17 headlined, "Why no one should take Donald Trump seriously, in one very simple chart" that argued why, well, no one should take Donald Trump seriously, pretty embarrassing. Not to mention wrong.

In case your detective work is at "True Detective" season 2 levels -- for non-show watchers, that means not so good -- I am the person who wrote that piece dismissing The Donald as even a semi-serious candidate for the presidency. My reasoning was pretty straightforward: Trump was regarded incredibly negatively by Republican voters. Twenty-three percent of GOP voters had a favorable opinion of Trump in a May Washington Post-ABC News poll, while 65 percent viewed him negatively. Eleven percent of Republicans felt strongly favorably toward Trump; 43 percent felt strongly negatively.

At the time, I wrote this:

You cannot and do not win anything when your numbers look like Trump's. I can't say it any more clearly than that. There's nothing you can say or do -- not that Trump would ever even consider going on an image rehabilitation tour -- to change how people feel about you. Republicans know Trump. And they really, really don't like him.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: Boy, was I wrong about Donald Trump. Here’s why...By Chris Cillizza
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 10:57:11 pm »
He's the un-politician and pubbies like that aspect of his entry in this race. The rest of the field are career pols. Ewe! Icky!

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:10:03 pm »
My sense is that more and more people, especially Republicans and independents, are imagining Donald Trump as POTUS and the more they think about it, the less preposterous the idea seems.  I too have been imagining Trump as POTUS and I must say that I have gone from horror-stricken at the notion of it to simply confused as to what kind of president the man would be.  Yes, Trump is a narcissistic creep, but he is very obviously a competent narcissistic creep or he would not have accomplished the things he has in his life.  So I have gone from anti-Trump to possibly open to Trump, and I don't think I am alone.  That could be dangerous for the rest of the GOP field.

bkepley

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:14:55 pm »
My sense is that more and more people, especially Republicans and independents, are imagining Donald Trump as POTUS and the more they think about it, the less preposterous the idea seems.  I too have been imagining Trump as POTUS and I must say that I have gone from horror-stricken at the notion of it to simply confused as to what kind of president the man would be.  Yes, Trump is a narcissistic creep, but he is very obviously a competent narcissistic creep or he would not have accomplished the things he has in his life.  So I have gone from anti-Trump to possibly open to Trump, and I don't think I am alone.  That could be dangerous for the rest of the GOP field.

Yeah ... trying to rationalize a vote for a Kardashian versus a win by default by a Trotskyite is a bear.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:28:29 pm »

word
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:50:58 pm »
I think one factor of his rising popularity is that Trump has real accomplishments under his belt. His name is at the top of skyscrapers all over the world. Trump gets things done, on time, and on budget. Can you imagine a Chris Christie or Lindsey Graham, or even a Scott Walker achieving such hights of success?

And make no mistake, Trump will expose the tremendous waste in bureaucratic infrastructure projects that typically come in so far above projected costs that in fact the money is being stolen. Over the years this waste comes to billions of tax payer dollars.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:12 pm »

You are obviously not alone. At this point he is running away with it. All his opponents are politicians. That gives him a big advantage in this market

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:17:47 am »

He accomplished the things that he has in his life at the head of a corporation that belonged to him, where he ruled unquestionably and largely unchallenged.

Those are not the characteristics that most people look for in a POTUS, where we allegedly elect people to serve, not rule.

We are just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of being ruled by a narcissistic creep, and here we are considering another one. Donald Trump has never had an idea that Donald Trump didn't think was the best idea ever had by anyone who's ever had an idea.

At least, as the head of the Trump organization, when he makes his decision and implements those ideas, he does it as the as the head of the Trump organization and bears personal and fiscal responsibility for the results of those decisions and ideas.

With Trump as POTUS, we will bear the personal and fiscal responsibilities for those ideas and decisions, and in typical Donal Trump fashion, we will probably be at fault for those failures, because The Donald, according to The Donald, never fails.

Here's how I picture a Trump Presidency... all failures are someone else's fault and all successes are solely due to his genius.

A.K.A. Obama with sculpted hair.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:20:55 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:24:12 am »
He's the un-politician and pubbies like that aspect of his entry in this race. The rest of the field are career pols. Ewe! Icky!

Except Carson.

And he's up there pretty high right now.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 12:27:30 am »
Personally, I am coming around to the idea of Trump as the GOP nominee.

Not for the reason most would think, but as valid as reason as anyone else's.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:29:07 am »
I'm still very much anti-Trump and think he's a threat to the party and conservatism in general.

But it's clear Trump has gone all in. I never expected him to do so, given his past dalliances with politics where he'd threaten to run, then back out. When he started talking about Mexicans, and he lost his TV deal and the such, he doubled down and didn't turn back. He's fully vested into this race. That trait is something a lot of us have wanted in our politicians for a long time. (He's far from alone on these things, either. Many of the strengths of Scott Walker, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, all of whom have solid followings that are being hurt by the Trump campaign, come from their willingness to stand for their position in the face of liberal backlash. It's Trump, with his billions and his known eccentricities, that hogs the attention, which is something he's always loved.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:29:42 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 12:29:16 am »

OK i'll bite.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 12:33:49 am »
OK i'll bite.

I want conservatives to stake their worth on a Trump candidacy.

bkepley

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 12:36:05 am »

Don't you think a brilliant idea at this time would be for Jon Stewart to run on the Dem side?

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 12:42:33 am »

Conservative, liberal, GOP, dem. Trump seems to be defying the lines and at this time it's not about that for many voters. He may split every group and subgroup for the win

bkepley

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 12:45:47 am »
Conservative, liberal, GOP, dem. Trump seems to be defying the lines and at this time it's not about that for many voters. He may split every group and subgroup for the win

And only God knows what that would mean.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 12:50:19 am »
And only God knows what that would mean.

Considering all the damage Obama has done to our Republic, it may take a mover and shaker to bring it back.

One of an entrepreneur's common strengths is the ability to delegate responsibility and hire the right people to "Git er' done!" 

If I could change one thing about his approach at THIS time, is to tone down the ego a bit.  It grates on me.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

bkepley

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 12:55:55 am »
Considering all the damage Obama has done to our Republic, it may take a mover and shaker to bring it back.

One of an entrepreneur's common strengths is the ability to delegate responsibility and hire the right people to "Git er' done!" 

If I could change one thing about his approach at THIS time, is to tone down the ego a bit.  It grates on me.

A mover and shaker how?  Do you actually believe Trump knows anything of cares anything about conservatism?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 12:59:45 am »
I think in watching the debate many will be asking or imaging what would Trump be like as a president?  He can negotiate but does he know the "ins" and outs" of what it takes to be a president?  Constitutional and Congressional law?  I think though it sure seems right now that he's going to be in for the long haul and very possibly our nominee. Where he may get more of a following is going to be greatly dependent on who he picks to run with him.  Definitely not a Bush or a Christie.  I see him possibly picking Fiorina. Maybe even Cruz.  It depends on what they will bring to the table for him; Firoina of course for the perhaps needed female vote and Cruz of course for the Constitutional conservative vote.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 01:02:55 am »

Trump seems to understand the importance of surrounding himself with competent people. The ego....well, it is what it is. The best way Trump could help himself now is to start speaking about the importance of the constitution. I don't know if he has that in him and that is troubling to me

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 01:04:34 am »
I think in watching the debate many will be asking or imaging what would Trump be like as a president?  He can negotiate but does he know the "ins" and outs" of what it takes to be a president?  Constitutional and Congressional law?  I think though it sure seems right now that he's going to be in for the long haul and very possibly our nominee. Where he may get more of a following is going to be greatly dependent on who he picks to run with him.  Definitely not a Bush or a Christie.  I see him possibly picking Fiorina. Maybe even Cruz.  It depends on what they will bring to the table for him; Firoina of course for the perhaps needed female vote and Cruz of course for the Constitutional conservative vote.

I can see it all now! President Trump as the front man with Vice president Cruz behind the scenes pulling all the strings!   That could work and for 16 years not eight!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 01:04:40 am »

Yeah.  Talk about the potential for rude awakenings.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 01:04:55 am »
A mover and shaker how?  Do you actually believe Trump knows anything of cares anything about conservatism?

I don't give a damn.   Said it a hundred times in here.  I want to fix what Obama and the Left has broken these past 7+ years.

Am a Republican first.  And a Conservative (fiscally) second. 

I'm still very nervous about this Planned Parenthood thing.  I smell a trap that is going to cost the women's vote.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

bkepley

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 01:08:44 am »
I don't give a damn.   Said it a hundred times in here.  I want to fix what Obama and the Left has broken these past 7+ years.

Am a Republican first.  And a Conservative (fiscally) second. 

I'm still very nervous about this Planned Parenthood thing.  I smell a trap that is going to cost the women's vote.

Have you ever read serious conservative philosophy such as "The Conservative Mind From Burke to Ellitot"?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 01:15:23 am »
Have you ever read serious conservative philosophy such as "The Conservative Mind From Burke to Ellitot"?

Can't say I have.  Mostly Friedman and Buckley.   :shrug: