Author Topic: McConnell's vow: No more government shutdowns  (Read 781 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell's vow: No more government shutdowns
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/250223-mcconnells-vow-no-more-government-shutdowns

By Alexander Bolton - 08/04/15 03:26 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) says he will not allow a government shutdown this fall and has pledged to begin talks “at some point.”

McConnell on Tuesday said he is willing to negotiate with Democrats to solve the funding impasse, after refusing for weeks to participate in the budget summit they have been calling for.

“Let me say it again, no more government shutdowns,” he told reporters.

He added that he would find a way forward “through negotiations.”

“We have divided government. The different parties control the Congress, control the White House and at some point we’ll negotiate the way forward,” he said. “At some point we’ll negotiate the way forward.”

Government funding is due to expire at the end of September and Democrats are warning of a shutdown as the Senate has failed to pass any appropriations bills because of a dispute over spending levels for defense and non-defense programs.

“We should of rolled up our sleeves weeks ago and started this conversation between the House, the Senate and the White House to come up with a budget for America that is fair,” said Senate Democratic Whip Dick Durbin (Ill.).

New York Sen. Charles Schumer, the third-ranking member of the Democratic leadership, warned Republicans would risk a shutdown by trying to add controversial policy riders, such as a proposal to defund Planned Parenthood, to a year-end spending bill.

“If they try to add extraneous riders and say, “You have to keep those riders,” important riders where there’s great disagreements in the country about … they’re headed for a government shutdown,” he said.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) said there’s been little sign as of yet that Republicans are ready to hash out a spending end game.

“I checked with the White House today, not a word,” he said. “I don’t understand when this negotiation is going to start. We’re ready.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: McConnell's vow: No more government shutdowns
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 07:47:26 pm »
Nothing like showing your hand....good job McConnell...Trump is right..these are the worlds worst negotiators.. :thud:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:48:18 pm »
Yeah!!!!!  more dead baby parts for years to come, thanks Mitch.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:52:09 pm »
Thank you Kentucky!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:30:19 pm »
Right cause of the Government shutdown in 2013 worked so well..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 11:37:20 pm »
Right cause of the Government shutdown in 2013 worked so well..

Yep! Won an even bigger majority in the House and a majority in the Senate in fact!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 11:47:35 pm »
Thank you Kentucky!!!

What are you bitching about?  McConnell is on God's side in this one.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:49 pm »
What are you bitching about?  McConnell is on God's side in this one.

He is?  Sure has a funny way of demonstrating that!  Premptive surrender doesn't win often.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:00:42 am »
He is?  Sure has a funny way of demonstrating that!  Premptive surrender doesn't win often.

There's no surrender.  What are you talking about?  This is not a dead issue.  Playing silly games about shutting the goverment down is just stupid.  How many times do you have to be hit on the head to understand that?  The point is McConnell is keeping this alive.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 12:59:37 am »
There's no surrender.  What are you talking about?  This is not a dead issue.  Playing silly games about shutting the goverment down is just stupid.  How many times do you have to be hit on the head to understand that?  The point is McConnell is keeping this alive.

When he says no government shutdown before the fight even begins that preemptive surrender in my book.  But not to worry because the fact is that in this case, or any other line item in the budget for that matter, the House can, under our Constitution, simply refuse to make any appropriation for that line item and it's game over!

- J. R. R. Tolkien