Author Topic: Student’s stunning plea: Why did NYC let me graduate high school?  (Read 1016 times)

rangerrebew

Student’s stunning plea: Why did NYC let me graduate high school?

By Melissa Mejia

August 2, 2015 | 6:00am

Melissa Mejia, 18, was stunned and embarrassed when officials at William Cullen Bryant HS in Long Island City, Queens, told her she had met all the requirements to receive a diploma in June. She knew she hadn’t. Teachers say Melissa is just one of a number of students magically given credits for classes they failed in an effort by administrators to raise Bryant’s graduation rate. She told her story to The Post’s Susan Edelman.

I don’t like receiving what I would call a handout, but that’s what happened.

New York City gave me a ­diploma I didn’t deserve.

It may seem odd that I’m speaking up, but it’s only because I’m fully aware I didn’t deserve to pass a course that allowed me to graduate.

In my last semester at Bryant HS, I had Government for first period, which starts at 8 a.m.

I had a lot of trouble getting up in the morning. I didn’t really go at all. I think I showed up about five times in the first marking period. In the second marking period, my attendance was also poor. I got a 55 for both, an “F.”

My teacher saw me in the hall and pulled me aside. She told me, “In the third marking period, if you come in every day and do all your work, I will pass you.”

I showed up about 10 days maximum the third marking period. It was only about a month long, because of senior activities. I did the makeup worksheets she gave me, but I never turned them in since my teacher was out at the end. We had a substitute.

I was absent for the final exam on Thursday, and absent for the makeup final on Friday.

On Monday, I went to speak with my guidance counselor, Mr. Ortiz.

‘I’m fully aware I didn’t deserve to pass a course that allowed me to graduate’

- Melissa Mejia

I explained everything. I told him I was absent and needed to do my final.

He wrote an e-mail to the assistant principal, explaining my situation. He told her I needed to make up some kind of work and make up my final to pass the class.

He gave the assistant principal my name, phone number and ­e-mail address.

“She’s going to contact you by the end of the day,” he said. “She’ll let you know what days to come in, and what day to make up your final.”

I never got a call or an e-mail. It was Regents week, so there were no classes.

I waited, and I never got contacted back.

On Thursday, I e-mailed him:

“Good afternoon Mr. Ortiz, it’s Melissa Mejia. I never got contacted to take the final, I would like to know what’s going on. I need my Government credit to graduate.”

He replied: “Melissa you passed Government. I thought your teacher called you. She gave you a 65. Congrats!”

I asked about a note informing me that I was enrolled in summer school.

He answered, “Summer school is programmed by using the second marking period grade and you were probably failing the course at that time. However, you are removed from the class if you passed it. If you have a diploma you definitely do not have summer school because you graduated.”

That was weird, I thought. My teacher is very strict. She doesn’t give a passing grade if you don’t deserve it. I felt she would at least try to teach me a lesson.

I wouldn’t have minded going to summer school. I know that’s what I should have done.

Everything has a consequence. Even though I never got that consequence, I was worried about it.

I went back to the same counselor and asked, “Are you sure I passed? It doesn’t make sense to me.”

He said, “Well, you got your ­diploma, so you passed.”

I do think it was unfair. I don’t deserve it.

http://nypost.com/2015/08/02/students-stunning-plea-why-did-nyc-let-me-graduate-high-school/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:32:11 am by rangerrebew »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Student’s stunning plea: Why did NYC let me graduate high school?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:29 am »
Well, she's got the looks that will let her get away with it without much consequence.

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:47:47 am »
The teacher's explanation, from NY Post
Teacher explains why she passed student who ‘deserved’ to fail
By Priscilla DeGregory
August 2, 2015 | 11:50pm

The Queens teacher who passed a high-school student practically begging to be failed made a stunning admission Sunday — she did it because of the “tremendous amount of pressure” to just graduate kids.

William Cullen Bryant HS instructor Andrea McHale copped to the move the same day that The Post published a front-page essay by guilt-ridden teen Melissa Mejia lamenting how she received a passing grade in the teacher’s government class — even though she rarely showed up, didn’t turn in homework, and missed the final.

The minimum passing grade of 65 allowed her to graduate.

“It was not an ideal situation,” McHale acknowledged to The Post at her Queens home. “If we don’t meet our academic goals, we are deemed failures as teachers. There is a tremendous amount of pressure on us as teachers.”

“I thought it was in her best interest and the school’s best interest to pass her.”

In her essay, Mejia said: “I don’t like receiving what I would call a handout, but that’s what happened. New York City gave me a diploma I didn’t deserve.”

McHale’s acknowledgment that she pushed Mejia through appeared to confirm the worst fears about the city’s public schools — that even unsatisfactory students are routinely handed diplomas.

The teacher said she believes that her student spoke out because “I think she felt a sense of, ‘Why isn’t the standard higher?’ But if we set the bar higher, we would be a failing school.”

She explained that Mejia passed all her state Regents tests and had strong scores in the history exams.

“Her attendance was extremely poor, but she was a very intelligent student,” McHale insisted.

“There is a fairly consistent policy that if they pass their Regents, it is strongly suggested that they pass in the class,” the teacher said.

“She did pass her Regents exam, and it’s generally accepted that if a student passes their Regents exam, it suggests some kind of readiness for college.”

Mejia confirmed that she passed all five parts of her Regents exams by her sophomore year.

McHale missed the last month of school with a broken ankle but said she kept her bosses in the loop about passing the student.

“I did bring it to the attention of my supervisor, the assistant principal,” McHale said.

“The substitute teacher was also undecided in her case. I actually passed [Mejia], and her grade was not changed [afterward].”

Bryant HS Principal Namita Dwarka declined comment Sunday.

Department of Education spokesman Harry Hartfield said the situation will be investigated.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 03:44:41 am »
If she passed her regents exam then she isn't all that uneducated, or unintelligent.  Then again, it might also be a testament to just how far the regents has been watered down.