Author Topic: Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do – here’s how to opt out  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Windows 10 is amazing. Windows 10 is fantastic. Windows 10 is glorious. Windows 10 is faster, smoother and more user-friendly than any Windows operating system that has come before it. Windows 10 is everything Windows 8 should have been, addressing nearly all of the major problems users had with Microsoft’s previous-generation platform in one fell swoop. But there’s something you should know: As you read this article from your newly upgraded PC, Windows 10 is also spying on nearly everything you do.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
And if you think you're really "opting-out", I got a bridge to sell if you're interested.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

Windows has been "calling home" for years.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
And if you think you're really "opting-out", I got a bridge to sell if you're interested.   :laugh:

Yep. I always laugh when I hear people talk about how they use private browsers, private email, or private search engines too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I don't have to "opt out" because I never "opted in".

Been a Mac user since 1987, and an Apple // user before that!

rangerrebew

Windows 10 – Be VERY Careful!

Posted on August 2, 2015  by  Martin Armstrong   

Once again, Microsoft screwed the world with its Windows 10 feature called Wi-Fi Sense. This nasty feature has serious legal implications for it will automatically connect your personal Wi-Fi network to anyone in your e-mail list using HotMail, Skype, or Outlook, and even Facebook, making those friends questionable. If any such person comes within range of your home Wi-Fi, they could secretly access your system from hundreds of yards away.

The real problem with this is rather sinister. The government would no longer need a search warrant for your surrendered privacy; good luck finding a judge who will uphold the rights that exist only in your imagination.

I just saw the new “Terminator” movie. The AI computer that decides to eliminate humankind begins as a system called “Genesis” with exactly the same profile – to connect you to everyone instantly. While I do not believe that we are dealing with such a creature, I do worry about the full Stalinistic powers this provides the government, as this will grant them access to hunt down anyone who dissents from their view. Suddenly, we all become the next Snowden since disagreeing with the government is now TREASON. Such powers are not necessary, and while Windows 10 supposedly allows you to opt-out, this setting is the default – they know what they are doing. The vast majority of people do not understand computers and they will be surrendering all rights to Microsoft without understanding what they have done. Why is Microsoft acting in such a hostile manner towards human rights?

http://www.armstrongeconomics.com/archives/35542
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:28:52 am by rangerrebew »

Oceander

I don't have to "opt out" because I never "opted in".

Been a Mac user since 1987, and an Apple // user before that!

Even better, go with Linux.  There is a flavor out there for just about everyone.

Oceander

There are linux versions that have been built for anonymity:  http://www.greycoder.com/anonymous-linux-distributions/

Online DCPatriot

I run Windows 7 Professional.  Beautiful setup.

For the past two days, I'm getting unsolicited notices offering me FREE upgrade to Windows 10.

Also have my system set up to accept automatic updates.

One would think that if they wanted to make my computer more "snoopable", their updates could address that 'need'.

Also, have said for a long time that these facebook quizzes and other sites that harbor them are nothing but government tools in which to build a profile on an individual.

Everybody is watching over your shoulder today.   It's part of Obama's secret database he's building on each and every American.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

I run Windows 7 Professional.  Beautiful setup.

For the past two days, I'm getting unsolicited notices offering me FREE upgrade to Windows 10.

Also have my system set up to accept automatic updates.

One would think that if they wanted to make my computer more "snoopable", their updates could address that 'need'.

Also, have said for a long time that these facebook quizzes and other sites that harbor them are nothing but government tools in which to build a profile on an individual.

Everybody is watching over your shoulder today.   It's part of Obama's secret database he's building on each and every American.

Microsoft is doing that with Win7 and Win8/.1

Of course, I'm sure that there are hackers who have already figured out how to fake the same sort of popup, meaning that it will simply lead to more infected computers.

Online DCPatriot

Microsoft is doing that with Win7 and Win8/.1

Of course, I'm sure that there are hackers who have already figured out how to fake the same sort of popup, meaning that it will simply lead to more infected computers.

I run BitDefender.  It's supposed to the best protection for Windows based systems...bar none.

Therefore, I doubt whether the update offers are not legitimate.

Oceander

I run BitDefender.  It's supposed to the best protection for Windows based systems...bar none.

Therefore, I doubt whether the update offers are not legitimate.

There is no such thing as perfect security; the only question is whether your security is sufficiently adequate.  Considering the opportunities the popups for Win10 present for infecting computers, the large-scale hackers/botnet owners could probably get around BitDefender if they really wanted to.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
There is no such thing as perfect security; the only question is whether your security is sufficiently adequate.  Considering the opportunities the popups for Win10 present for infecting computers, the large-scale hackers/botnet owners could probably get around BitDefender if they really wanted to.

But they won't bother because there are so many computers out there running Windows that aren't adequately protected that they don't have to.  One of the ONLY real advantages to running Windows IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

But they won't bother because there are so many computers out there running Windows that aren't adequately protected that they don't have to.  One of the ONLY real advantages to running Windows IMHO!

It all depends on what they're going after.  Security through obscurity is generally not the best defense.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Get yourself the Tor Browser and a good VPN and meet me in the Dark Web.

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online DCPatriot

Using Windows 10? Microsoft Is Watching
Lauren Walker

A display for the Windows 10 operating system is seen at the Microsoft store at Roosevelt Field in Garden City, New York on July 29.

More than 14 million devices are already running Microsoft’s Windows 10 after its global launch on Wednesday, but it’s unclear how many of their users read the company’s Privacy Policy and Service Agreement before downloading. Tucked away in the 45 pages’ worth of terms and conditions (effective August 1) is a substantial power grab: The company is collecting data on much of what you do while using its new software.

From the moment an account is created, Microsoft begins watching. The company saves customers’ basic information—name, contact details, passwords, demographic data and credit card specifics —but it also digs a bit deeper.

Other information Microsoft saves includes Bing search queries and conversations with the new digital personal assistant Cortana; contents of private communications such as email; websites and apps visited (including features accessed and length of time used); and contents of private folders. Furthermore, “your typed and handwritten words are collected,” the Privacy Statement says, which many online observers liken to a keylogger. Microsoft says they collect the information “to provide you a personalized user dictionary, help you type and write on your device with better character recognition, and provide you with text suggestions as you type or write.”

All this information doesn’t necessarily remain with just Microsoft. The company says it uses the data collected for three purposes: to provide and improve its services; to send customers personalized promotions; and to display targeted advertising, which sometimes requires the information be shared with third parties. Microsoft mentions that though it assigns each customer a unique advertising ID, which is fed data during computer usage, it “does not use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you.” It makes no such promise for its other stated data collection purposes.

more at:   http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952