Author Topic: The New Battle Lines: Elitists Vs. Us  (Read 25384 times)

Offline Relic

Re: The New Battle Lines: Elitists Vs. Us
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 02:54:18 pm »
You can have a cosmopolitan place without having to let people in illegally - in fact it works better when we know who is crossing our borders.  It's the tired old word games - saying that people who are against illegal migration are against immigrants.  What an arrogant attitude some people have.

It's a tried and true liberal tactic. If you can't win a debate on the merits of your argument, incorrectly redefine your opponent's position, then declare victory.

Offline Lazamataz

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 02:54:48 pm »
If only our political heroes all that we build them up to be.

Laz wrote:

I've always been a fan of Reagan for his stance against the Soviet Union.  He was a good governor and I recall his short radio commentaries that moved me into a thinking rather than reacting mode.  But Reagan wasn't the fiscal anti-government champion many hold him up to have been.

During his term of office, civilian employment in the executive branch increased by 200 thousand, federal spending went from $591 billion to $1.14 trillion, the deficit doubled and the national debt went from $907 billion to $2.9 trillion, a trend that has only continued upward to this day.

True. However, remember what the Congress looked like at the time, and the prevailing tendency to actually follow the Constitution back then. Also remember Reagan had thrust upon him, an extreme Establishment type, G.H.W.Bush, who -- curiously -- had been head of the CIA for quite a while.

Say, doesn't the CIA teach it's agents to be 'handlers' of people and channel them into desired activities? That's a coincidence, right there!

Offline Lazamataz

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 02:55:47 pm »
We have the *ignore* feature here in your personal settings.

You are a sweety.

Marry me.

Unless you are a guy.

Then we can only date.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 03:01:13 pm »
It's a tried and true liberal tactic. If you can't win a debate on the merits of your argument, incorrectly redefine your opponent's position, then declare victory.

:thumbsup:

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

bkepley

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 03:05:41 pm »
You can have a cosmopolitan place without having to let people in illegally - in fact it works better when we know who is crossing our borders.  It's the tired old word games - saying that people who are against illegal migration are against immigrants.  What an arrogant attitude some people have.

That's not what I was doing though.  If you go back and read what I said I was only pointing out what was to me a bizarre reference to Rome which to his credit he actually agreed to remove.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 03:09:34 pm »
You are a sweety.

Marry me.

Unless you are a guy.

Then we can only date.

Marry me?...I bet you say that to all the girls......or significant other..or partner...whatever the case may be...lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 03:12:03 pm »
Marry me?...I bet you say that to all the girls......or significant other..or partner...whatever the case may be...lol

I'd say so.  He's famous for wanting to "hit" anything with at least two legs over on FR.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2015, 03:19:37 pm »
That's not what I was doing though.  If you go back and read what I said I was only pointing out what was to me a bizarre reference to Rome which to his credit he actually agreed to remove.

I was merely pointing out that cosmopolitanism doesn't require the presence of people of different cultures that have entered a place illegally.  The argument that I've seen many times is that somehow, these illegals enrich our culture.  I will acknowledge that your comment was directed toward the barbarian military - but you felt the need to include the cosmopolitan comment.  I took that as a commentary on the positive aspects of cosmopolitanism, without providing a clarification as to whether that is achieved by allowing illegals of different cultures to run amok - as opposed to the controlled presence of different cultures mingling together to create a vibrant mix.  You were the one that used the term cosmopolitan, so it is fair game to comment on it's usage.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

bkepley

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 03:25:16 pm »
I was merely pointing out that cosmopolitanism doesn't require the presence of people of different cultures that have entered a place illegally.  The argument that I've seen many times is that somehow, these illegals enrich our culture.  I will acknowledge that your comment was directed toward the barbarian military - but you felt the need to include the cosmopolitan comment.  I took that as a commentary on the positive aspects of cosmopolitanism, without providing a clarification as to whether that is achieved by allowing illegals of different cultures to run amok - as opposed to the controlled presence of different cultures mingling together to create a vibrant mix.  You were the one that used the term cosmopolitan, so it is fair game to comment on it's usage.

Only in reference to Rome...only in reference to Rome.  The Roman reference was a mistake which he acknowledged.  People see things that aren't there sometimes.  Personally I think immigration needs a halt for a time to allow assimilation.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 03:28:45 pm »
I'd say so.  He's famous for wanting to "hit" anything with at least two legs over on FR.

He's just teasing....I've known Laz for a long time and I know he cheats on me.... :whistle:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2015, 03:45:07 pm »
Illuminating piece.

The battle lines aren't new and Illuminating was a good choice of words...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2015, 03:46:45 pm »
True. However, remember what the Congress looked like at the time, and the prevailing tendency to actually follow the Constitution back then. Also remember Reagan had thrust upon him, an extreme Establishment type, G.H.W.Bush, who -- curiously -- had been head of the CIA for quite a while.

Say, doesn't the CIA teach it's agents to be 'handlers' of people and channel them into desired activities? That's a coincidence, right there!

Still, Reagan had a Republican Senate for most of his term in office.  He did manage to get issues that he wanted done, like cutting the highest marginal tax rate, but at time of dramatic new spending, that doesn't add up to fiscal conservatism, IMHO. 

Yeah Bush 41 was CIA director for a year.  But are you saying Reagan was being "handled" by Bush to run up the debt and expand government?  The debt growth had almost stabilized by 1980, but started an upward trend that has risen 20 fold since 1981.  Trump has already said he would cut taxes for everyone and eliminate the corporate income tax.  I'm waiting for what he's going to do about the debt that' being handed to my grandchildren. 

And it's not just Trump; none of them wants to address the elephant in the room.  It's too easy to give rather than take away.  Democrats promise more spending and higher taxes; Republicans promise lower taxes and less spending, but in the end, neither pays much attention to the growing debt.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

bkepley

« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2015, 04:08:56 pm »
And it's not just Trump; none of them wants to address the elephant in the room.  It's too easy to give rather than take away.  Democrats promise more spending and higher taxes; Republicans promise lower taxes and less spending, but in the end, neither pays much attention to the growing debt.

Yep, the problem isn't the "elites" vs. us or any other conspiratorial nonsense.  It's like economics.  People find they can "vote the key to the public treasury" and that's the end.  People have known about this for a long time.

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »
Also remember Reagan had thrust upon him, an extreme Establishment type, G.H.W.Bush, who -- curiously -- had been head of the CIA for quite a while.

Well, they did have to shoot Reagan early on because he was getting too big for his britches.  He was a lot more cooperative after that.  The Hinckleys, of course, gave a lot of money to the Bush campaign and John's brother Scott was scheduled to accompany his girlfriend to Neil Bush's house for dinner the evening of the day that Reagan got shot as reported by the Houston Post.

Needless to say... that event was postponed and the Bushes honestly couldn't remember ever meeting the Hinckleys...    :silly:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:14:14 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Lazamataz

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2015, 04:14:04 pm »
Yeah Bush 41 was CIA director for a year.  But are you saying Reagan was being "handled" by Bush to run up the debt and expand government?

Nope. But it sure is a coincidence.

Also, wasn't Reagan nearly assassinated mere months after his first election?

Wow, these coincidences. Yikes.  :thud:

Offline Lazamataz

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »
Well, they did have to shoot Reagan early on because he was getting too big for his britches.  He was a lot more cooperative after that.  The Hinckleys, of course, gave a lot of money to the Bush campaign and John's brother Scott was scheduled to accompany his girlfriend to Neil Bush's house for dinner the evening of the day that Reagan got shot as reported by the Houston Post.

Needless to say... that event was postponed and the Bushes honestly couldn't remember ever meeting the Hinckleys...    :silly:

MORE coincidences!!!!  :thud:

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »
MORE coincidences!!!!  :thud:

Nothing to see here, citizen... move along...

bkepley

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2015, 04:20:46 pm »
Nothing to see here, citizen... move along...

Heading quickly towards looneyville now.  There's precious little daylight between the loony left and the loony right.

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:26 pm »
Heading quickly towards looneyville now.  There's precious little daylight between the loony left and the loony right.

The point of the OP and the thread is that left/right is the creation of the elitists.

That knee-jerk stuff is Pavlovian, don't you think?

bkepley

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2015, 04:42:11 pm »
The point of the OP and the thread is that left/right is the creation of the elitists.

That knee-jerk stuff is Pavlovian, don't you think?

So they've got you right where they want you?

Online GourmetDan

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2015, 04:52:17 pm »
So they've got you right where they want you?

They've certainly got you putting me right where they want me...

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2015, 05:09:45 pm »
They've certainly got you putting me right where they want me...

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lazamataz

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »

Mr. Dan, I believe that it is important to point out all the odd coincidences. I do not make any positive assertion thereupon, I merely point out the coincidences.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2015, 06:56:58 pm »
I think it undeniable that there exists a significant chasm between the American public at large and those who may be fairly characterized as our Elite.

But the nature of America's "Ruling Class" elite today seems quite different than it has been in the past, and especially from those of other societies, historically speaking.

Ours are not Earls or Dukes or other such hereditary grand pooh-bahs. They are not oil tycoons or railroad magnates or captains of industry. They are not members of shadowy societies with secret symbols, handshakes and Illuminati lapel pins.

What they are, are people who went to Harvard.

Seriously. Well, sort of.

Our elites are more broadly speaking people who went to Ivy league schools and who now thoroughly dominate the universities, think tanks, news media and government offices and bureaucracies.

They don't tend to create or produce very much of value. But then, they don't have to. What they do is to effectively control the powerful levers of government to enrich themselves and their families.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

bkepley

« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:55 pm »
I think the elites are the opinion-makers and they didn't go to Harvard.  The more likely went to the Columbia School of Journalism or never went to school at all but became famous and influential.