Author Topic: Poll: Trump surges to biggest lead in New Hampshire, popular with independents, no McCain damage... By Byron York  (Read 3977 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2569088

Poll: Trump surges to biggest lead in New Hampshire, popular with independents, no McCain damage
By Byron York • 7/28/15 4:42 AM

A new poll of voters likely to take part in the New Hampshire Republican primary shows Donald Trump with the biggest lead he has yet held in the GOP race. The Monmouth University poll, released Tuesday morning, has Trump at 24 percent — double the support of the next-highest Republican, Jeb Bush, at 12 percent.

Scott Walker and John Kasich are tied for third at 7 percent apiece — a significant drop for Walker from recent months and a significant advance for Kasich, who announced his candidacy on June 21. Following are Marco Rubio, at 6 percent; Ben Carson and Rand Paul, 5 percent; Chris Christie, 4 percent; Ted Cruz and Carol Fiorina, 3 percent; and the rest of the field.

The survey suggests Trump's appeal is strong across the spectrum of voters likely to go to the polls in the New Hampshire primary. Among registered Republicans, his support is 21 percent. Among independents, who are allowed to vote in the GOP primary, his support is 29 percent. Trump leads among voters who call themselves very conservative, as well as among those who call themselves somewhat conservative. Only among moderate voters does Bush lead, and even among them, Trump is just 4 points behind.

Trump has a huge lead among voters under 50 years old — 30 percent to Rand Paul's 12 percent. Trump also has a solid advantage among voters over 50 — 21 percent to Bush's 13 percent.

Trump is still a divisive figure, but the new poll shows him in (barely) positive territory on the favorability question — 47 percent of those surveyed have a favorable view of Trump, while 44 percent have an unfavorable view. Trump's 47 percent favorable rating is the same as Bush's, although Bush has a lower (37 percent) unfavorable rating.

The poll, of 467 New Hampshire voters, was conducted from July 23 to July 26 — after Trump's much-discussed July 18 attack on two-time New Hampshire primary winner John McCain's war record. "The controversy over comments about John McCain's war service do not appear to have slowed the Trump steamroller," said Patrick Murray, head of Monmouth University polling, in a statement accompanying the poll results. While the McCain comments could still damage Trump — voter reactions almost always take longer to show up than the instant controversies that consume the political class — at least so far, Trump is suffering no harm in New Hampshire.

Trump's statements on immigration have received a lot of attention, but the new poll suggests he is the current voter favorite on the basis of a wide range of issues. "When asked to choose the most important issue in deciding who they will support for the GOP nomination, New Hampshire primary voters select national security (25 percent) and the economy (23 percent) as their top concerns, followed by taxes and government spending (20 percent)," Monmouth reports. Immigration was fourth, with 13 percent, followed by social issues at eight percent.

Trump's 12-point lead is by far his largest so far in New Hampshire. In an NBC survey of state voters taken around the time of the McCain remarks, Trump led by seven points. In CNN and Suffolk polls released in June, Bush held leads of five and three points, respectively.

The new poll will do nothing to allay the concerns of Republican establishment figures who fear Trump is damaging the GOP brand among general election voters. (Trump is currently in second place in Iowa and leading in national surveys.) Many political strategists believe it is only a matter of time before the Trump bubble bursts, either by Trump's own hand or as a result from attacks by rival candidates. But the new Monmouth poll suggests that so far, the voters of New Hampshire are not going along.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

bkepley

"When asked to choose the most important issue in deciding who they will support for the GOP nomination, New Hampshire primary voters select national security (25 percent)

Maybe it's just me but Trump does not give me a warm and comfy feeling when it comes to national security. **nononono*

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Maybe it's just me but Trump does not give me a warm and comfy feeling when it comes to national security. **nononono*

Trump is a democrat running as a republican and tapping in to a LOT of pent up anger right now. That won't last.  The first time he has to answer a REAL question on policy he's toast!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Trump is a democrat running as a republican and tapping in to a LOT of pent up anger right now. That won't last.  The first time he has to answer a REAL question on policy he's toast!

I hope you are right.  I fear he will just continue to go on the attack and never have to explain anything.  It is a tactic that has worked well for Democrats for years, and now that the Republican electorate is nearly as coarse as the Democrat electorate, plus the fact that independents can vote in most primaries, and the fact that Trump has oodles of cash to buy a big megaphone, it might actually work.

Offline GourmetDan

Poll: Trump surges to biggest lead in New Hampshire, popular with independents, no McCain damage

Apparently, most people see McCain as the real loser...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

Relax you guys.

I listen to Mark Simone on the radio in New York for years. He's a fiscal conservative, social liberal, and here's the important part, an immigration hawk (build the wall!!). He's interviewed Trump hundreds of times, he's played golf with him; he knows him, he's been to his office. The Trump he personally knows is not the man you guys have caricatured. Trump builds things and I think he may have his sights set on rebuilding a leaner federal government. Just my opinion based on someone who knows the kind of man Trump is.

bkepley

Relax you guys.

I listen to Mark Simone on the radio in New York for years. He's a fiscal conservative, social liberal, and here's the important part, an immigration hawk (build the wall!!). He's interviewed Trump hundreds of times, he's played golf with him; he knows him, he's been to his office. The Trump he personally knows is not the man you guys have caricatured. Trump builds things and I think he may have his sights set on rebuilding a leaner federal government. Just my opinion based on someone who knows the kind of man Trump is.

Then why does he act like such an idiot on TV?

Offline aligncare

Then why does he act like such an idiot on TV?

That's just Trump's personality. My brother asks me why I keep acting like an idiot. What can I say?

Trump is all about efficiency and getting the job done on time and on budget. I wouldn't mind seeing that from my federal government.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:14:21 pm by aligncare »

bkepley

That's just Trump's personality. My brother asks me why I keep acting like an idiot. What can I say?

Trump is all about efficiency and getting the job done on time and on budget. I wouldn't mind seeing that from my federal government.

That personality might work for a business man but I think it would be a comedy for the commander in chief, first politician, first diplomat and all the rest that goes along with the job.  I don't even think he's fit for the Senate.  Maybe Governor..we've had a few odd balls there.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I have made my share of negative remarks about Trump, but he is proving many of his naysayers wrong.

So now we'll just have to let him take a look under the hood, so to speak.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

bkepley

I have made my share of negative remarks about Trump, but he is proving many of his naysayers wrong.

So now we'll just have to let him take a look under the hood, so to speak.

I think he would just run his mouth and play golf, sorta like Obama come to think of it, but he might hire folks who are not afraid of making hard decisions.

Offline Longiron

Depends on what your comfort level is, IS. He has said to take on ISIS one must cut the head off first. Bomb the hell out of the oil wells they have taken over and CUT the money stream off and the funding is GONE. With that ISIS is now defunded and the rest should be able to get rid of the treat from there??? Now the RINOGOP would never do such a thing. It might hurt someone's feelings and who care if the boys and raise a little hell by cutting off a few American or Christians heads off. :amen:

Offline aligncare

I think he would just run his mouth and play golf, sorta like Obama come to think of it, but he might hire folks who are not afraid of making hard decisions.

Apparently you didn't hear what I said. I said I know of someone who knows Donald Trump, had many dinners with the man, and has said in public, risking his own veracity and public image, that Trump is unequivocally a go getter – as we used to call success oriented people. By most measures, Trump is a successful man. I don't think he can be compared to Obama in any way, shape or form.

bkepley

Apparently you didn't hear what I said. I said I know of someone who knows Donald Trump, had many dinners with the man, and has said in public, risking his own veracity and public image, that Trump is unequivocally a go getter – as we used to call success oriented people. By most measures, Trump is a successful man. I don't think he can be compared to Obama in any way, shape or form.

Well I'm sorry to say that I don't believe everything I hear at second hand and on the internet but like I said, he might hire people who would be willing to make the hard decisions.  Trump's whole persona at this time indicates to me that he is a guy who hasn't really given a whole lot of thought to the things he is bloviating on.

Offline Relic

Trump is just a distraction. The real threat is if he goes Ross Perot.

Offline truth_seeker

Unlike Perot, Trump is trying to legitimately win the GOP nomination, and so far succeeding.

I wish Ross would update his flip charts, and send them over to the Donald. Then out on the campaign stump, the Donald could borrow a car, place the charts on the hood of the car, and give his pitch.

Offline Relic

Unlike Perot, Trump is trying to legitimately win the GOP nomination, and so far succeeding.

I wish Ross would update his flip charts, and send them over to the Donald. Then out on the campaign stump, the Donald could borrow a car, place the charts on the hood of the car, and give his pitch.

I'd bet money Donald Trump does not win the GOP nomination.

Now, is he damaging the party? Maybe, I'm not sure.
Is he exposing the lack of leadership? Yes.
Could he have an overall positive effect on the GOP? Maybe.
Has he tapped into a lot of anger and frustration in the base? Absolutely.
If he runs third party will the Democrat candidate win? Without a doubt.

That's how I see it.

Offline truth_seeker

I'd bet money Donald Trump does not win the GOP nomination.

Now, is he damaging the party? Maybe, I'm not sure.
Is he exposing the lack of leadership? Yes.
Could he have an overall positive effect on the GOP? Maybe.
Has he tapped into a lot of anger and frustration in the base? Absolutely.
If he runs third party will the Democrat candidate win? Without a doubt.

That's how I see it.
Nothing to argue over. I am in observation and learning mode. It is a long, long time until the primary elections, let alone the general.

I hope the GOP fields a very strong candidate, and defeat the democrat.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Other than in the pro-abortion, pro gun control, pro higher taxation thing at least.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline aligncare

I don't think he [Trump] can be compared to Obama ... except as regards the point that I was responding to, that Trump probably also prefers playing golf (like Obama does) rather than being a go getter and working hard for the American people (i.e. faithfully executing the president's daily duties.)

picky picky picky.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:36:31 pm by aligncare »

Offline Longiron

Different Time, different place, different issues than Perot place in politics. If The PUBBIES treat him fair, he will stay Republican as per his appearance on Hannity last night. If they try and SCREW him with attack personal Ads he will go 3rd party ,maybe??? The RINOGOP 's call. Of course he might be a pulling guard for CRUZ? Don't know! Time will tell! :patriot: By the way he is running 3rd Party NOW and WINNING.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:02:18 pm by Longiron »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bkepley wrote above:
[[ Well I'm sorry to say that I don't believe everything I hear at second hand and on the internet but like I said, he might hire people who would be willing to make the hard decisions...]]

Isn't that what good leaders -- whether they be corporate leaders or heads of state -- do ??

Aside:
I want to see Mr. Trump walk into the EPA and say to everyone there:
"You're fired!"
(yes, I know there is something called "Civil Service". But I want to hear him say it anyway!)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

By the way he is running 3rd Party NOW and WINNING. 

GREAT point!   :laugh:

Offline GourmetDan

By the way he is running 3rd Party NOW and WINNING.

We know that the media often promotes certain candidates early so that they can destroy them when it counts.

If you think that can't happen to Trump... think again.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline aligncare

We know that the media often promotes certain candidates early so that they can destroy them when it counts.

If you think that can't happen to Trump... think again.

This Trump thing is weird. Aces are wild. Your guess is as good as any. Will he implode or will he go. all. the. way. I think everyone is merely guessing, and whatever side you come down on is based on your own political bias.