Author Topic: House GOP to Senate: We’re not taking up your highway bill  (Read 1704 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/249290-house-gop-to-senate-were-not-taking-up-your-highway-bill

By Scott Wong - 07/27/15 02:28 PM EDT

The House will not vote on a multi-year Senate highway bill that revives the now-expired Export-Import Bank, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Monday.

“We’re not taking up the Senate bill,” McCarthy declared to a roomful of reporters in his office.

Instead, McCarthy urged the Senate to take up a short-term House-passed bill which extends federal highway funding for five months, without renewing the Ex-Im Bank charter. He called the House bill the “best option” for Congress before money for highways, bridges and mass transit runs out on Friday.

McCarthy’s declaration is a blow not only to the Senate, where Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) had teamed up to craft the bipartisan, long-term highway bill.

It’s also a blow to backers of the Ex-Im Bank, who had hoped the 81-year-old institution would be revived by catching a ride on the back of the Senate transportation bill. The charter for the bank, which provides loan guarantees to help U.S. corporations sell goods overseas, expired on June 30.

The Senate transportation bill authorizes highway funding for six years, but only provides three years in funding.

McCarthy, who controls the House floor schedule, said the lower chamber plans to leave for the August recess on Thursday. And he said it’s not fair for the Senate to send the House a massive 1,000-plus-page bill just days before the funding deadline. 

Upon hearing about McCarthy’s remarks, Boxer, shot back at the fellow Californian, saying the House should follow the Senate’s lead and stay in session a week longer rather than decamp for the summer recess.

“You know what, we’re staying an extra week in August. You can stay an extra week in August. That’s not such a terrible thing,” Boxer said in a speech on the Senate floor.

McCarthy “says don’t send us a bill because we’re going home. Well, that’s their choice.

“If the House chooses to go out on vacation or a work period of whatever they do, that's their business. But it's our job to fix the problems we're facing,” Boxer said.

Another way out of the funding mess is an even shorter-term highway bill, perhaps one that provides just two or three months of transportation funding. McCarthy didn’t rule out that possibility, but he made clear his chamber had already passed a more-preferable five-month patch that gives Congress enough time to hammer out a longer-term, House-Senate deal.

“The five-month extension is the best bill to have so you can get a long-term bill that is fully paid for,” McCarthy said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: House GOP to Senate: We’re not taking up your highway bill
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:09:16 am »
McCarthy, who controls the House floor schedule, said the lower chamber plans to leave for the August recess on Thursday. And he said it’s not fair for the Senate to send the House a massive 1,000-plus-page bill just days before the funding deadline.

McCarthy has got a point here.

I feel like I'm watching theater here.  All the angst of the IM-EX bank, fetus organ harvesting funding, and whatever it was Cruz wanted to add to the bill...for nothing. **nononono*
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:12:35 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Paladin

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:23:48 am »
I feel like I'm watching theater here.  All the angst of the IM-EX bank, fetus organ harvesting funding, and whatever it was Cruz wanted to add to the bill...for nothing

Really? And somehow Cruz knew at the time how the House would deal with the highway bill? So in addition to being a great senator and principled Conservative he's psychic?

Also, since when is it a mistake to fight for what is right?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:56:53 am »
Really? And somehow Cruz knew at the time how the House would deal with the highway bill? So in addition to being a great senator and principled Conservative he's psychic?

I can't understand why you're not angry with Cruz, if that i true.  He knew the law wouldn't pass but took the time to besmirch his GOP colleagues.  What an a$$.

Also, since when is it a mistake to fight for what is right?

There are many times when it is a mistake to fight for what is right. 

Number 1 is when you can't possibly win.  Cruz pursuing an amendment on a bill you say he knew wouldn't pass is a good example.  It is a waste of time.

Number 2 is when the time is wrong.  Cruz pushing defunding of Obamacare one month before the www.healthcare.gov rollout disaster hit the news is a good example.

Number 3 is when it will cost more than it gains.  Cruz raising money for the Senate Conservatives Fund to run candidates against sitting GOP Senators cost Cruz his slot on the National Republican Senate Committee.  The NRSC raised $168 million last midterm and they didn't lose one GOP senator.  Ya' think Cruz could use access to those donors as he runs for President?

Number 4 is when you are unable to convince other people to agree with you.  Cruz fantasizing about Americans getting riled up about "Washington Cartel" is an example of #4

Number 5 is when you are wrong about "what is right." 
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”  C. S. Lewis

I could go on.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
I can't understand why you're not angry with Cruz, if that i true.  He knew the law wouldn't pass but took the time to besmirch his GOP colleagues.  What an a$$.

Number 1 is when you can't possibly win.  Cruz pursuing an amendment on a bill you say he knew wouldn't pass is a good example.  It is a waste of time.

Number 2 is when the time is wrong.  Cruz pushing defunding of Obamacare one month before the www.healthcare.gov rollout disaster hit the news is a good example.

Number 3 is when it will cost more than it gains.  Cruz raising money for the Senate Conservatives Fund to run candidates against sitting GOP Senators cost Cruz his slot on the National Republican Senate Committee.  The NRSC raised $168 million last midterm and they didn't lose one GOP senator.  Ya' think Cruz could use access to those donors as he runs for President?

Number 4 is when you are unable to convince other people to agree with you.  Cruz fantasizing about Americans getting riled up about "Washington Cartel" is an example of #4

I could go on.

So, you only fight if you have something to gain rather than fighting even if you lose.
IOW, go along to get along.
That is why we have the mess we have.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 06:07:47 pm »
Quite correct:

So, you only fight if you have something to gain rather than fighting even if you lose.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 09:39:08 pm »
I'm sorry the concept of picking and choosing battles eludes you.  It's a concept that has guided politics and military strategy for our entire history.

Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        The courage to change the things I can,
        And the wisdom to know the difference.

I believe people who waste their time on battles that can't be won, pick the worst time to attack, and demand everything refusing to negotiate a less desirable, but better than nothing, solution are why we are in the mess.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:02 pm »
I'm sorry the concept of picking and choosing battles eludes you.  It's a concept that has guided politics and military strategy for our entire history.

Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
        The courage to change the things I can,
        And the wisdom to know the difference.

I believe people who waste their time on battles that can't be won, pick the worst time to attack, and demand everything refusing to negotiate a less desirable, but better than nothing, solution are why we are in the mess.

Not much eludes me, but under what conditions would Cruz be wise to have his battle then?
Would that be when we have a republican pres and congress?  We did that and got nowhere...

bkepley

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:34:11 pm »

Until everyone woke up to the facts Churchill waged a lone battle against the entire establishment, left and right in Great Britain but 1) I don't think Cruz is a Churchill and 2) Even if he is it took Hitler's invasion of Poland to improve his reputation and I think it will take something similarly catastrophic to improve Cruz's.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:11 pm »
Until everyone woke up to the facts Churchill waged a lone battle against the entire establishment, left and right in Great Britain but 1) I don't think Cruz is a Churchill and 2) Even if he is it took Hitler's invasion of Poland to improve his reputation and I think it will take something similarly catastrophic to improve Cruz's.

But you cannot wake people up with silence..

bkepley

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:46:56 pm »
But you cannot wake people up with silence..

Yes but unfortunately for him I think it will take something catostrophic for folks to turn to him and right now if such an event happened my guess is they'd turn to Trump.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 10:47:51 pm »
Yes but unfortunately for him I think it will take something catostrophic for folks to turn to him and right now if such an event happened my guess is they'd turn to Trump.

So your issue is with Cruz, not the fight....

bkepley

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 10:52:48 pm »
So your issue is with Cruz, not the fight....

I think Cruz would be better off adopting a less ambitious but just as right wing position.  He strikes me as too pandering because too ambitious..young man in a hurry..but I am pretty cynical.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 11:03:55 pm »

I could go on.

DEAD WRONG on every single point except #5!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:13:44 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:49 pm »
Thank GO the House is stopping this idiocy!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:17:16 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 11:13:33 pm »
Odd how that works, isn't it.

I do seem to recall a LOT of sneering aimed at Cruz when he first became Senator for spending a lot of time getting to know the House reps ....
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 02:07:15 am »
[[ “We’re not taking up the Senate bill,” McCarthy declared to a roomful of reporters in his office.
Instead, McCarthy urged the Senate to take up a short-term House-passed bill which extends federal highway funding for five months, without renewing the Ex-Im Bank charter. ]]

Good for them (for a change).

THIS is how you "fight back" against the administration.
....and gutless Senate leadership!

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:09 am »
DEAD WRONG on ever single point except #5!
You didn't refute anything Bigun.  Why bother posting?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 02:18:10 am »
You didn't refute anything Bigun.  Why bother posting?

It is NEVER wrong to fight for what is right! Never ever!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 02:23:06 am »
Odd how that works, isn't it.

I do seem to recall a LOT of sneering aimed at Cruz when he first became Senator for spending a lot of time getting to know the House reps ....

Ted Cruz knows something that a good many others seem to have forgotten and that is that not a single dollar can be spent by the federal government unless the House agrees to spend it! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 02:24:16 am »
I think Cruz would be better off adopting a less ambitious but just as right wing position.  He strikes me as too pandering because too ambitious..young man in a hurry..but I am pretty cynical.
Cruz is very early in a political career for elected office. I agree that he is trying to do it all at once, and may well ruin his later chances.

He has failed to build coalitions, convert associates and voters, without burning fences.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Paladin

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:49 am »
William Wilberforce: He headed the parliamentary campaign against the British slave trade for twenty years until the passage of the Slave Trade Act of 1807.

Ah, if only Once-ler and a few others had been there in 1787 to tell him he couldn't possibly win; the timing wasn't right; it would cost him more than he would gain; he would never get others to agree with him; and that he was wrong about what was right. It would have saved that great man a lot of trouble. However:

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 07:34:59 am »
That's much more powerful argument, Bigun.  Two exclamation points and two "never"s.  How do you do it?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 12:44:14 pm »
That's much more powerful argument, Bigun.  Two exclamation points and two "never"s.  How do you do it?

The obvious (to most right thinking people) is VERY easy to state! Doesn't require the writing of a book to explain!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:22:02 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien