Author Topic: Meet The Press Todd Grills Cruz on Immigration, Never Gets an Answer  (Read 12119 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvV3rh4aKGg

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/meet-press-transcript-july-5-2015-n386996

I met up with Cruz on Friday in Atlanta in between stops for his new book, A Time for Truth, about reigniting the American promise. And I began by asking him about the recent Supreme Court decisions on Obamacare and same-sex marriage which he compared to some of the darkest days in American history.

TED CRUZ:

In a period of 24 hours, we had two decisions of the Supreme Court where a majority of the justices violated their judicial oaths. In one, they ignored the text of federal law. They rewrote Obamacare, forcing that failed law on millions of Americans, and then the next day, five justices disregarded the text of the Constitution and purported to strike down the marriage laws of all 50 states.

And I agree with Justice Scalia who said in two powerful descents-- and I would urge everyone of your viewers to read Justice Scalia's dissents.

He said that these decisions are an assault on democracy. That this is five unelected lawyers declaring they are the rulers of 320 million Americans. I believe in democracy and the Constitution. And I think when the Supreme Court violates their oaths and undermines the Constitution, that is a grave threat to our nation.

CHUCK TODD:

Well, let's go to the-- the issue of marriage. The minute the federal government gives tax benefits based on marriage, doesn't it-- doesn't it make marriage a suddenly a federal decision that the-- the Supreme Court does have to make a decision?

TED CRUZ:

Of course, it doesn't. From the beginning of our country, literally, from the first days of our country, marriage has always been a question for the states. You know, on the question of gay marriage, on the policy issue, reasonable minds can disagree. I-- I am a strong supporting of traditional marriage, of the union of one man and one woman. You and I may disagree on that. But under the Constitution, there was a mechanism for us to resolve our disagreements, which is if you wanna change the marriage laws of your state, the Constitutional mechanism is to convince your fellow citizens to change the marriage laws. Now, what that might mean is that some states, California, New York, maybe they would go one way. And other states, like Texas and Florida, they may go another way. it is profoundly troubling when you have Supreme Court justices not following their judicial oath. And taking the role of policy makers and legislators, rather than being judges.

CHUCK TODD:

You wanna go another step further. You wanna make them part of the political process. You wanna have them deal in retention elections. Doesn't that politicize the Court more?

TED CRUZ:

Well--

CHUCK TODD:

Any state that has elections for judges, they're raising money, they're-- it-- it-- it-- it weakens the judiciary branch, does it not?

TED CRUZ:

Well, it-- it is the justices who have politicized the Court. They are the ones who have stepped in to try to resolve every policy matter. They shouldn't be rewriting Obamacare. You know, Chief Justice Roberts famously used the analogy of an umpire calling balls and strikes. Well, they stopped being an umpire. They became a player on a team.

They put on an Obama jersey. They got out the eraser, they erased terms in the statute and rewrote it, joining the Obama administration. That was wrong. And th-- and that's why I reluctantly called for a Constitutional amendment for periodic judicial retention elections.

CHUCK TODD:

Let's bring up-- Donald Trump. You defended him. Your former governor, Rick Perry, has criticized him. You've had an experience with plenty of Mexican immigrants in Texas. Are they-- are these immigrants that are coming into Texas what Donald Trump describes? Are they drug dealers, rapists, and-- and-- and such?

TED CRUZ:

Listen, I-- I am a passionate advocate for legal immigrants. I am the son of an immigrant who came legally from Cuba. And I'll tell you, from the day I started campaigning, I traveled the state of Texas, talking about how all of us, we are the children of those who risked everything for freedom. That that immigrant experience of all of us is what makes us Americans, because we value in our DNA liberty and opportunity above all else.

Now, when it comes to Donald Trump, I like Donald Trump. He's bold, he's brash. And I get that-- that-- that it seems the favorite sport of the Washington media is to encourage some Republicans to attack other Republicans. I ain't gonna do it. I'm not interested in Republican on Republican violence.

CHUCK TODD:

Rhetoric matters.

TED CRUZ:

You know--

CHUCK TODD:

Doesn't rhetoric matter?

TED CRUZ:

I salute Donald Trump for focusing on the need to address illegal immigration. The Washington cartel doesn't want to address that. The Washington cartel doesn't believe we need to secure the borders. The Washington cartel supports amnesty and I think amnesty's wrong. And I salute Donald Trump for focusing on it. He has a colorful way of speaking. It's not the way I speak. But I'm not gonna engage in the media's game of throwing rocks and attacking other Republicans. I'm just not gonna do it.

CHUCK TODD:

So let's go to immigration. What do you do with the 11 million?

TED CRUZ:

You know, it's an interesting thing in Washington. That is the question that both President Obama and Democrats love to focus on. How do you solve the problem? You focus on areas of common ground. I am long term optimistic and short term pessimistic on immigration. Long term, I'm optimistic because there's a lotta bipartisan agreement outside of Washington on immigration. There's overwhelming bipartisan agreement, number one, that we need to secure the borders. That we need to finally do something to stop illegal immigration.

CHUCK TODD:

What do you do with the 11 million people though? Do you have to send 'em back, or do you give them a way to get legal?

TED CRUZ:

Chuck, I don't accept the premise that you have to solve every aspect of this problem all at once. President Obama and the Democrats focus on that issue because the question you're asking is the most divisive partisan question in this entire debate. And I don't believe President Obama wants to solve this.

CHUCK TODD:

I understand that it's divisive. But the-- it's still a problem.

TED CRUZ:

B-- but-- but you don't have to solve every problem at once. Look, here's the problem--

CHUCK TODD:

That's fine. But explain how you do it?

TED CRUZ:

I am explaining how. The last time Congress passed immigration reform was in the 1980s. And Congress came to the American people with the following tradeoff. Congress said there were three million people living here illegally. Congress said, "We will grant amnesty to those three million. In exchange, we're gonna secure the borders. We're gonna solve the problem so that illegal immigration goes away."

Well, we all know what happens. The amnesty happened. And the border never got secured.

And here's the sad truth. A lot of Republicans in the Washington cartel, they're all for amnesty too because from the perspective of the Chamber of Commerce and Wall Street, it's cheap labor.

CHUCK TODD:

You still didn't say what you'd do with the 11 million.

TED CRUZ:

Well, my view is first, we secure the borders and solve the problem of illegal immigration. And then I think we can have a conversation about what to do about the people who remain here. I don't think the American people will accept any solution until we demonstrate step number one, we can secure the border.

CHUCK TODD:

So anything's on the table? Potentially deportation or not deportation, but anything's on the table for the 11 million--

TED CRUZ:

I think we should secure the border and then have a conversation at that point. Stop using the Washington approach of I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. The American people aren't going for it.

CHUCK TODD:

You write something-- interesting in your book about your cockiness. It is a frequent topic when people wanna discuss you. Your-- you're brash, you're ambitious, you're in a hurry. And you yourself say it's an issue. Explain where you in where you thought your cockiness cost you a job in the Bush administration.

TED CRUZ:

Well, look I discuss the time I spent back in 1999 and 2000 on the Bush campaign. And I was a young man in my twenties. I'd-- I'd enjoyed a lotta success. Almost everything I'd laid my hands to had gone well. And-- and I was far too cocky for my own good. And-- and as a consequence, coming outta the campaign, I desperately wanted to have a senior job in the White House.

Frankly, I wanted to be,- I know you're a political junkie, I wanted to be Michael J. Fox's character in The American President. The young, idealistic staffer in the White House, in the Oval Office, sayin', "Mr. President, do the right thing." And that didn't happen. And, and it became clear it wasn't gonna happen because I had burned too many bridges.

CHUCK TODD:

How, how have you changed? How did it change you?

TED CRUZ:

Well, it's interesting. My wife Heidi thinks that it changed my personality in a very fundamental way. And one of the things I talk about in the book is, you know, a terrific country and western song Some of God'sGreatest Gifts are Unanswered Prayers. I'm convinced if I had gotten what I wanted, a senior position in the Bush White House, there's no universe in which I'd be in the Senate.

CHUCK TODD:

You'd f-- you'd have flamed out?

TED CRUZ:

I almost surely would've been enmeshed in many of the-- th-- the mistakes in the Bush administration where, unfortunately, as time went on, the administration didn't honor the conservative commitments that the campaign had made at the front end. But-- but number two, listen, I would've been-- if I had gotten that job, I-- I mostly assuredly b-- would've been quite impressed with myself.

And here's a simple reality. If you run a grassroots campaign-- our campaign for the Senate, we were opposed by all of the money, all of the donors, all of the establishment. It came from the people. It came from-- from young people and Hispanics and-- and Republican women. It came from hundreds of VFW halls and Dennys' and IHOPs. You can't run and win a grassroots campaign if you're an arrogant little snot. And as I discussed in the book, A Time for Truth, I needed to get my teeth kicked in.

CHUCK TODD:

So we have a new Facebook partnership with all our presidential interviews. So I promised that I would ask one of their questions. Jeff Patterson wants me to ask you this. What issue or issues that you've voted on in the Senate would it most surprise people to know that you are actually in philosophical agreement with President Obama? And what do you most admire about President Obama?

TED CRUZ:

I tell you I admire that he is a true believer. The second part of the question I can answer. You know, there are some people in the grassroots who-- who-- who view him, ascribe bad motives to him and I will often dispute that. I think he believes in all of his heart in his principles. I think he fights for them relentlessly. If I were a leftist, I would love Barack Obama because he has advanced the left wing progressive agenda more than any president in history. Now, I think the problem is the ideas he believes are profoundly dangerous. That millions of Americans have-- been hurt by exploding government regulations and taxes that have taken away jobs and opportunity. But I admire that he stands and fights for his principles.

CHUCK TODD:

Senator Cruz, I gotta leave it there. We could've gone another half hour just on foreign policy. So I hope to have you back.

TED CRUZ:

Excellent.

CHUCK TODD:

Senator Cruz, thank you, sir.

TED CRUZ:

Thank you.

CHUCK TODD:

And there's a lot more from my sit down with Ted Cruz on the Meet the Press' Facebook page as well as MeetThePressNBC.com you can see the full, unedited interview there. When we come back even Donald Trump admits he's hurting his own brand. But is he hurting the Republican Party's brand a lot more?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 09:15:17 am by Once-Ler »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Interesting.

Of course Cruz is correct. You stop the leak before you deal with the water in the basement. Close the border first. Do it properly and make sure it's working. Then think about the ones already there.

Personally, if they've kept their nose clean, worked, got an education for their kids, well, I'd be inclined to work out a deal for their kids at least, and maybe something like our permanent foreign resident status we have here for the parents. Any serious crime - bounce them out and their entire family too, doesn't matter if they have been in the US for 5 minutes or 50 years. Remove anchor baby status from any children who have it, also.

It's about the best I can come up with.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Interesting.

Of course Cruz is correct. You stop the leak before you deal with the water in the basement. Close the border first. Do it properly and make sure it's working. Then think about the ones already there.

Personally, if they've kept their nose clean, worked, got an education for their kids, well, I'd be inclined to work out a deal for their kids at least, and maybe something like our permanent foreign resident status we have here for the parents. Any serious crime - bounce them out and their entire family too, doesn't matter if they have been in the US for 5 minutes or 50 years. Remove anchor baby status from any children who have it, also.

It's not a leak it is a vacuum.  The need for cheap labor sucks in the illegals.  We would need more than a fence to close the border.  A tight seal can prevent large amount of pressure from penetrating, but I'm not sure I want an airtight seal around the land of the free. 

Right now the US is not replacing it's population.  Families are smaller and we abort 1 million future workers a year.  Without illegal immigration we would have negative population growth.  Even more troubling, much of our population is poised to retire.  This is causing a shrinking American workforce. 

There is a huge demand for low skilled workers.  Conservatives would suggest those jobs could be filled by Americans currently collecting welfare but US business does not want the mother of nine who gets called to school twice a week, or the drug addict who can't show up on time, or the newly paroled tattoo aficionado...so eager illegals are sometimes more attractive to American businesses than Americans with no social skills or work ethics.  As long as the magnet of gainful employment exists illegals will climb over, cut through, and dig under any fence.  Our humanity prevents lethal methods of deterrence.

A fence is a waste of time and resources, IMO.

A big chunk of illegals are people who overstayed their visas.  You can mine every border state and won't stop that traffic at all. 

So what does "close the border" mean anyways?  Where is Trump's or Cruz's plan to close the border?  A militarized shoot to kill zone?  How many border patrol do we need to "close the border"...something we have never had the power to actually do in our history?  We have passed increased budgets to deal with this problem for decades.  The current border patrol budget is $3.5 Billion Do we need 5, 10, or 100 times the resources to solve this problem?

I'm not asking you to come up with these answers, EC.  The questions are rhetorical.  The point is "close the border" is a slogan that doesn't have any tangible substance.  We are not Israel or the USSR and we can't close the border...at least it can't be done without Americans giving up more freedom than it is worth.

What we need is replace illegal immigration with more legal immigration.  Something Cruz has suggested in the past.  http://hotair.com/archives/2015/04/30/ted-cruz-there-is-no-stronger-advocate-for-legal-immigration-in-the-u-s-senate-than-i-am/  We should make it easier for low skilled immigrant workers to fill those low skilled jobs. 

If we can supplant 90% of illegal immigration with legal immigration then we can better watch for the terrorists and criminals that Donald Trump calls Mexicans.

Offline EdinVA

It's not a leak it is a vacuum.  The need for cheap labor sucks in the illegals.  We would need more than a fence to close the border.  A tight seal can prevent large amount of pressure from penetrating, but I'm not sure I want an airtight seal around the land of the free. 

Right now the US is not replacing it's population.  Families are smaller and we abort 1 million future workers a year.  Without illegal immigration we would have negative population growth.  Even more troubling, much of our population is poised to retire.  This is causing a shrinking American workforce. 

There is a huge demand for low skilled workers.  Conservatives would suggest those jobs could be filled by Americans currently collecting welfare but US business does not want the mother of nine who gets called to school twice a week, or the drug addict who can't show up on time, or the newly paroled tattoo aficionado...so eager illegals are sometimes more attractive to American businesses than Americans with no social skills or work ethics.  As long as the magnet of gainful employment exists illegals will climb over, cut through, and dig under any fence.  Our humanity prevents lethal methods of deterrence.

A big chunk of illegals are people who overstayed their visas.  You can mine every border state and won't stop that traffic at all. 

So what does "close the border" mean anyways?  Where is Trump's or Cruz's plan to close the border?  A militarized shoot to kill zone?  How many border patrol do we need to "close the border"...something we have never had the power to actually do in our history?  We have passed increased budgets to deal with this problem for decades.  The current border patrol budget is $3.5 Billion Do we need 5, 10, or 100 times the resources to solve this problem?

I'm not asking you to come up with these answers, EC.  The questions are rhetorical.  The point is "close the border" is a slogan that doesn't have any tangible substance.  We are not Israel or the USSR and we can't close the border...at least it can't be done without Americans giving up more freedom than it is worth.

What we need is replace illegal immigration with more legal immigration.  Something Cruz has suggested in the past.  http://hotair.com/archives/2015/04/30/ted-cruz-there-is-no-stronger-advocate-for-legal-immigration-in-the-u-s-senate-than-i-am/  We should make it easier for low skilled immigrant workers to fill those low skilled jobs. 

If we can supplant 90% of illegal immigration with legal immigration then we can better watch for the terrorists and criminals that Donald Trump calls Mexicans.

Cruz never said "close the border", he said SECURE the border.

Cruz never said "close the border", he said SECURE the border.
EC said close the border and I was responding to him.  "Secure the border" is meaningless, and never been done before also.  Just replace "close the border" with "secure the border" and everything I wrote still applies.

Offline EdinVA

EC said close the border and I was responding to him.  "Secure the border" is meaningless, and never been done before also.  Just replace "close the border" with "secure the border" and everything I wrote still applies.

Well, secure the border means to control access and identify who comes in and who leaves.  It does not mean stop anyone from crossing.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I recall Alan Dershowitz, a Harvard professor, saying that Ted Cruz was the most intelligent and best in any debate format...in all the students he'd ever seen at Harvard.

Not being to paint him as a dunce...so they try to make him a devil and enemy to his Hispanic heritage.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

Cruz is Golden!  His education is stellar, he has political experience not only as a U.S. Senator but as Solicitor General and worked on W's campaign.  In addition he is Latino. 

From Wikipedia:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Cruz

Cruz attended high school at Faith West Academy in Katy, Texas,[27] and later graduated from Second Baptist High School in Houston as valedictorian in 1988.[26][28][29] During high school, Cruz participated in a Houston-based group called the Free Market Education Foundation where he learned about free-market economic philosophers such as Milton Friedman, Friedrich Hayek, Frédéric Bastiat and Ludwig von Mises.[30] The program was run by Rolland Storey and Cruz entered the program at the age of 13.[24][/u]

Cruz graduated cum laude from Princeton University with a Bachelor of Arts in Public Policy[31] from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs in 1992.[4][6] While at Princeton, he competed for the American Whig-Cliosophic Society's Debate Panel and won the top speaker award at both the 1992 U.S. National Debating Championship and the 1992 North American Debating Championship.[32] In 1992, he was named U.S. National Speaker of the Year, as well as Team of the Year, with his debate partner, David Panton.[32] Cruz and Panton represented Harvard Law School at the 1995 World Debating Championship, making it to the semi-finals, where they lost to a team from Australia.[33][34][35] Princeton's debate team later named their annual novice championship after Cruz.[35]

Cruz's senior thesis on the separation of powers, titled "Clipping the Wings of Angels," draws its inspiration from a passage attributed to President James Madison: "If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary." Cruz argued that the drafters of the Constitution intended to protect the rights of their constituents, and that the last two items in the Bill of Rights offer an explicit stop against an all-powerful state. Cruz wrote: "They simply do so from different directions. The Tenth stops new powers, and the Ninth fortifies all other rights, or non-powers."[36][37]

After graduating from Princeton, Cruz attended Harvard Law School, graduating magna cum laude in 1995 with a Juris Doctor degree.[6][38] While at Harvard Law, he was a primary editor of the Harvard Law Review, and executive editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, and a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review.[4] Referring to Cruz's time as a student at Harvard Law, Professor Alan Dershowitz said, "Cruz was off-the-charts brilliant."[39][40] At Harvard Law, Cruz was a John M. Olin Fellow in Law and Economics.[10]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:37:15 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

Boston's "big dig" cost 12b to construct. It's estimated a state-of-the-art fence (actually a double walled, high tech surveillance-type structure) across our southern border will cost 4b.

Peanuts compared to the cost of illegals to American society.

Offline DCPatriot

Boston's "big dig" cost 12b to construct. It's estimated a state-of-the-art fence (actually a double walled, high tech surveillance-type structure) across our southern border will cost 4b.

IMO, the hardcore among them shouldn't get to live in anything "state of the art".

And that's who you're suggesting needs to be put there.  Ones like Mr. Sanchez.

It's all BS.

Put the damned Immigration Control Service there.  The entire lot...all the way up the chain.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

I'm trying to understand your post, buddy....

Read what I said again.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Interesting.

ABSOFEEKINLOUTELY!!!!!!!!!

Turn off the damned water before ANYTHING else including repairing the leak!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

I'm trying to understand your post, buddy....

Read what I said again.

I apologize, AC.

Came here from running all day and for some strange reason, I interpreted your post to refer to a new prison under construction.

Don't ask me why..... :laugh:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Where can I look at Cruz' "Plan" to "Secure the Border?"

What are the metrics, which determine if it is "secure" or not, both now and after Cruz' Plan?

How many times under Republican and democrat Presidents, have you learned in the news about "interior enforcement" activities?

etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

Wow.  I did a "google" search and Cruz suggests land mines --- yep -- I've said that several times myself.  IMO it not only sends a clear message to those sneaking across our borders but once the Mexican government and people were warned that our borders were secure with land mines; it would greatly curtail anymore illegals coming across; especially after the first one was set off. Some I'm sure would see this as inhumane, but we need to defend this country and protect its citizens.

Ted Cruz Announces Presidential Bid, Pledges to Secure U.S. Border With Land Mines
Posted on March 23, 2015   

LYNCHBURG, Va. – Republican Senator Ted Cruz announced his bid for the White House today in a speech delivered during a student convocation at Liberty University, the largest Christian university in the world, located in Lynchburg, Virginia. Senator Cruz spoke before a packed auditorium, saying he wants to “reignite the promise of America.”

Following the first of many standing ovations, Mr. Cruz, who is a vocal opponent of Obama’s immigration policies, told the evangelical audience that if he is elected President he will “rebuild American immigration policy from the ground up.” To start, the senator said he will immediately halt Obama’s proposed plan to grant amnesty to the roughly 20 million undocumented aliens currently residing in the United States.

Back in 2012 Senator Cruz said he would support deploying American troops along the U.S.-Mexican border, but today he laid out a new plan for border security, one that he says will “significantly reduce the cost to American taxpayers.” The first phase of the senator’s immigration strategy, following the liquidation of the amnesty program, is to mine the 1,989 mile long border between the U.S. and Mexico. “We’ve got over eleven million land mines sitting in storage, paid for by taxpayers like yourselves,” Cruz told the audience, adding, “It’s time we put them to use.”

In 1997 the United States signed the Convention on the Prohibition and Use, Stockpiling, Production, and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and On Their Destruction, otherwise known as the Mine Ban Treaty. However, the U.S. continues to maintain a stockpile of an estimated 11.3 million anti-personnel mines and has admitted to deploying a number of them along the DMZ that separates North and South Korea.

Senator Cruz said the deployment of mines along the border would help free up manpower for other national security issues and also serve as a deterrent to those who might be planning to cross into the United States illegally. “If we grant people citizenship who came here illegally,” Cruz told supporters, “we’re doing a disservice to others, people like my father, Rafael Bienvenido Cruz, who did the right thing by coming here legally...

http://realnewsrightnow.com/2015/03/23/ted-cruz-announces-presidential-bid-pledges-to-secure-u-s-border-with-land-mines/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Wow.  I did a "google" search and Cruz suggests land mines --- yep -- I've said that several times myself. 

Wow, indeed.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Eh, why not land mines.

I doubt there is a single nation left on the planet that trusts the USA to honor treaties when inconvenient to do so.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

The fence of course built by Mexican immigrants.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
"What do you do with the 11 million?"

There are only two answers to that question:

• Round them up and deport them, or
  • let them stay.

Either response will destroy any GOP candidate, so few will give any sort of an honest, straightforward response.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:59:43 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
"What do you do with the 11 million?"

There are only two answers to that question:

• Round them up and deport them, or
  • let them stay.

Either response will destroy any GOP candidate, so few will give any sort of an honest, straightforward response.

I don't have a problem with law-abiding people receiving something like a work visa, as long as they don't break any of our laws and support themselves.  I am against doing it for illegals, they need to come in the right way.  Anyone already here needs to have to go back home and apply for the visa from their homeland.  If they can get themselves here, they can get themselves back.  We really should stop rewarding people for bad behaviour.  They should have to pass a background check too. 

It's the system that needs to be fixed. 

Having said that, I do believe that many of these illegals came at the behest of our government - for a long time now.  So I'm open to trying to work with otherwise law-abiding people to have a way that they can receive a visa too.  If they want to become citizens, they can work toward that, the same way my British brother-in-law did. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Eh, why not land mines.

I doubt there is a single nation left on the planet that trusts the USA to honor treaties when inconvenient to do so.

Very well, mines it is, but US tax payers shouldn't have to pay for the little prosthetic limbs for the flocks of illegal kids who get their legs blown off on US soil.  And what about funeral costs?  If we can't get Mexico to pay for a fence maybe they will pay for some large trenches and bulldozers to push the bodies in?

Why don't we just declare war on Mexico?  After all those people are an "invading" force of disease spreading, drug dealing, rapists who want to steal American jobs, collect welfare, and vote.

Mine the border Senator Cruz? WTF? 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Very well, mines it is, but US tax payers shouldn't have to pay for the little prosthetic limbs for the flocks of illegal kids who get their legs blown off on US soil.  And what about funeral costs?  If we can't get Mexico to pay for a fence maybe they will pay for some large trenches and bulldozers to push the bodies in?

Why don't we just declare war on Mexico?  After all those people are an "invading" force of disease spreading, drug dealing, rapists who want to steal American jobs, collect welfare, and vote.

Mine the border Senator Cruz? WTF?

I have wondered if it would be unthinkable to just take over Mexico and annex it. 

I'm half serious.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline DCPatriot

Perhaps a take-off on Reagan's famous words in Berlin.

"El Presidente, Enrique Peña Nieto....BUILD THAT WALL!"      :whistle:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I have wondered if it would be unthinkable to just take over Mexico and annex it. 

I'm half serious.
My deceased father used to go fishing at Cabo San Lucas with a subcontractor that he used a lot.

The guy was a legal Mexican immigrant, and with his brother in Cabo, owned a fishing boat.

They had many great times. My father often opined that California should annex Baja.

There were some colonies of Americans, including retired types who reside there year round, and some weekenders who had manufactured homes there in parks.

My brother-in-law had a weekend place, and enjoyed it for years. But it started to get worse, then worse. Vandalism and theft. He effectively abandoned it and walked away. Rosarito Beach, it was, just a short drive below the border.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln