Author Topic: Romney: Trump’s comments have hurt GOP  (Read 1291 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Romney: Trump’s comments have hurt GOP
« on: July 04, 2015, 11:08:18 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/246871-romney-trumps-comments-have-hurt-gop

July 04, 2015, 01:22 pm

By Elliot Smilowitz
Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney on Saturday said Donald Trump’s comments on immigration have hurt the GOP.

Speaking at a Fourth of July parade in Wolfeboro, N.H., Romney was asked whether Trump’s statements about Mexico have hurt the party’s cause. He replied “Yes," according to CNN.

"I think he made a severe error in saying what he did about Mexican-Americans," the 2012 nominee said.

Romney noted that several of Trump’s competitors in the 2016 GOP race have denounced his comments.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie on Thursday called the remarks “inappropriate” and said they had no place in the GOP race for the White House.

Christie followed Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who called Trump’s comments “wrong” on Thursday.

“I don’t think he’s reflecting the Republican Party with his statements about Mexicans,” Perry told Fox News. “I think that was a huge error on his part and, number one, it’s wrong.”

Former New York Gov. George Pataki has sharply denounced Trump’s statements and called on other GOP presidential candidates to do so as well.

Trump for two weeks has been engulfed in controversy over comments he made about Mexico at his presidential launch from Trump Tower in New York City.

“They’re sending people who have a lot of problems,” he said of the country.

“They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists,” Trump added. “And some, I assume, are good people.”

NBC and Macy’s both cited the comments in breaking with Trump. Hispanic activists have also ripped Trump over the remarks, and celebrities such as “Ugly Betty” star America Ferrera have criticized him while arguing that Trump will help elect a Democratic president in 2016.

Romney was joined at the Wolfeboro parade by Christie and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.). Romney told reporters he doesn’t intend to endorse any candidate this early in the race.

"A lot of these folks helped me during my campaign. I'm going to be as loyal to them as they were to me," he told CNN.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Romney: Trump’s comments have hurt GOP
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:53:14 am »
No offense, Mitt, but your pathetic campaign didn't do much to help the GOP's cause, either.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:02:52 am »
Lol.
No offense, Mitt, but your pathetic campaign didn't do much to help the GOP's cause, either
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 01:02:00 pm »
Mittens knows! He a fighter against conservatives but against Libs and Dems he has the name Mittens for a reason? Please kepp advising the RINOGOP . The conservatives need the help! :tongue2:

Offline raml

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 07:18:44 pm »
Personally I think he is wrong plus Romney is the last person to be able to criticize anyone. I am hearing that many people think Trump is at least being honest and that he is also right.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 10:11:46 pm »
No offense, Mitt, but your pathetic campaign didn't do much to help the GOP's cause, either.

Ya gotta remember that (to Mitt) RINOs are the GOP...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 05:54:28 pm »
Trump's comments hurting the GOP? How much more can the GOP hurt with RINO's like Bush, Rubio, McConnell, Boehner, Christie, etc?  After all, actions speak louder than words.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 06:06:39 pm »

BS!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 06:18:53 pm »
Republicans will continue to spin their wheels in the mud until they come to the realization that no amount of capitulation, not even 100% capitulation, to the preferred policy positions of most Hispanics and virtually all blacks will make a damned bit of difference to their political fortunes.

Were the GOP to adopt the preferred policy agenda of a majority of either group, they wouldn't crack 10% polling in black communities, or 25% in Hispanic ones. Voting for Democrats among these groups is now a matter of fixed, generational social identification that will not change, absent a catastrophic catalyst.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:22:09 pm »
Sad to say, I believe you're correct, Andy. Some folks just don't want to have to think for themselves.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 06:34:17 pm »
Republicans will continue to spin their wheels in the mud until they come to the realization that no amount of capitulation, not even 100% capitulation, to the preferred policy positions of most Hispanics and virtually all blacks will make a damned bit of difference to their political fortunes.

Were the GOP to adopt the preferred policy agenda of a majority of either group, they wouldn't crack 10% polling in black communities, or 25% in Hispanic ones. Voting for Democrats among these groups is now a matter of fixed, generational social identification that will not change, absent a catastrophic catalyst.
GW Bush got 40% in Texas in 2004.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 09:27:01 pm »
We need a person like Trump, right now.

A brash populist politician that is an icon in our [pathetic] culture today.  He found niches and filled them.

NOTE:  Even the LIV 'knows' Donald Trump.   And his message is resonating.  At least it gives us an opportunity to point out the total disregard of any duty to enforce our immigration laws. 

It's unfortunate that they would realize political capital from such a scenario, but nobody said they were politically numb. 

But it's a chance to hold the tide if we can just win the Presidency in 2016.  The key is the Supreme Court, whose average in 75+ years.  The next POTUS will nominate at least 3, IMO.

It's high time to get the activism out of the SCOTUS.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Paladin

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 10:30:32 pm »

But it's a chance to hold the tide if we can just win the Presidency in 2016.  The key is the Supreme Court, whose average in 75+ years.  The next POTUS will nominate at least 3, IMO.

But don't you think it possible Ginsburg, Breyer, and even Kennedy would resign if the election goes the wrong way and thus give Obama the power to make new appointments? That may not be politically popular but if it happens the fate of the court will be in the hands of (God help us) McConnell and Co.

Besides I don't expect Ruthie to be around that much longer. She obviously isn't well physically and may not be totally copacetic mentally.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 01:54:49 am »
Andy wrote above:
[[ Were the GOP to adopt the preferred policy agenda of a majority of either group, they wouldn't crack 10% polling in black communities, or 25% in Hispanic ones. Voting for Democrats among these groups is now a matter of fixed, generational social identification that will not change, absent a catastrophic catalyst. ]]

I've been saying as much since I came to this forum, Andy.
I get ridiculed when I say it, but your voice carries more gravitas.

The "black vote" is lost to conservatism, not a single dollar or a single minute's effort should be wasted on trying to get blacks to "vote Republican" again.
obama has driven that chance into the ground, for at least fifty years to come, perhaps forever.
Blacks who are thoughtful will come to the conservative side on their own volition.
The rest of them can go to h***.

The "Hispanic vote" is also a near-worthless effort.
I dare anyone on this forum -- and this is a direct challenge -- to tell me what the Republicans can "offer" to Hispanics other than amnesty?
What promises would you make to them?
What else would you "give them" that you would not give to any Euro-American?
Why do they deserve it?

I realize the reality of the coming demographic deluge, at least in certain areas of the country, but pandering to minorities won't help our lot. We aren't going to win the blue states again, short of a national catastrophe as Andy alluded to above.

Rather, we should hold out for as long as we can by building our own "new constituency" among Euro-Americans.

That means working to keep the red states red, and even more importantly protecting the purple states from "turning further blue" by trying to build as much of "the white vote" as possible within those battleground states.

The reality is that "The United States" is not growing more "united", but is headed in the opposite direction.

Eventually, the "mystic chords of memory" which created the bonds of affection that have held the Union together for the last 150 years are going to dissolve away. All you have to do is look around to see those chords unraveling -- like the cables that held up the Tacoma Narrows Bridge until the winds blew it down.

We should be anticipating that time, and planning for it...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 01:56:58 am by Fishrrman »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 02:03:32 am »
But don't you think it possible Ginsburg, Breyer, and even Kennedy would resign if the election goes the wrong way and thus give Obama the power to make new appointments? That may not be politically popular but if it happens the fate of the court will be in the hands of (God help us) McConnell and Co.

Besides I don't expect Ruthie to be around that much longer. She obviously isn't well physically and may not be totally copacetic mentally.

A GOP-controlled House and Senate should be able to put the kibosh on Obama two months.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald