Author Topic: Golfer Watson: I’ll paint over Confederate flag on ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ car  (Read 2222 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/246855-golfer-watson-ill-paint-over-confederate-flag-on-dukes-of

July 03, 2015, 04:39 pm
Golfer Watson: I’ll paint over Confederate flag on ‘Dukes of Hazzard’ car

By Ben Kamisar

Golf star Bubba Watson will paint over the Confederate flag on the General Lee, a prop car from the television show “The Dukes of Hazzard,” in light of the brewing controversy over the flag.

Watson tweeted the news Thursday afternoon.

bubba watson

@bubbawatson

All men ARE created equal, I believe that so I will be painting the American flag over the roof of the General Lee #USA
6:18 PM - 2 Jul 2015

Watson won the car after he paid $121,000 for it at an auction in 2012, according to the Associated Press.

There’s been significant backlash against the Confederate flag since last month’s shooting in a historically black church in South Carolina that killed nine.

Pictures of the alleged shooter, Dylann Roof, show him posing with the Confederate flag, and he reportedly told police he launched the attack in order to start a race war.

That’s prompted outcry in states that still fly the flag, including calls from South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) for the state to take the flag off of its statehouse grounds. The Legislature is considering that proposal.

A CNN/ORC poll from Thursday found a sharp racial divide over views of the Confederate flag. Two thirds of whites view the flag as a symbol of Southern pride, not racism. But 72 percent of blacks believe it symbolizes racism.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline MACVSOG68

Probably won't be worth much now.  Silly as his motives are, it is his car.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline aligncare

Was it Santayana who said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it?"

Of what benefit is it then to attempt to erase the past? History is what it is.

Offline MACVSOG68

Was it Santayana who said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it?"

Erasing history is a principal tactic of the left.  Fortunately it's harder today to do than ever before.

Offline evadR

Why can't people just "shut up"?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
All this Confederate flag crap? I feel like I'm back in the ME again.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Paladin

At what point will all this nonsense jump the shark?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Online mountaineer

At what point will all this nonsense jump the shark?
I was thinking maybe Bubba should keep the car in a garage for a few months until this nonsense blows over.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

I was thinking maybe Bubba should keep the car in a garage for a few months until this nonsense blows over.
I was thinking how upset I am with Bubba for making a public spectacle out of it.
Damn Bubba, just STFU!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

So we are due for a Dukes reboot?

Offline NavyCanDo

The Dukes of Hazzard has been on TV for 36 Years. Yet nobody was offended until Liberals told them to be.    Sheep with NO independent thought.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Paladin

DVD and download sales for “The Dukes of Hazzard” have soared like the General Lee since TV Land dumped the show off its schedule a few days ago.

Clearly, the publicity fueled people’s need to own the 1979-1985 series in perpetuity.

On Amazon’s list of the top DVD sales this morning, season box sets of “The Dukes of Hazzard” dominate the top five slots. Amazon also makes episodes available for download for $1.99 each or $19.99 per season. When all the sales are combined, including downloads, “The Dukes of Hazzard” still has five seasons in the top 10.

A few days ago, TV Land pulled “The Dukes of Hazzard,” which is set in the fictional Georgia county of Hazzard, from its schedule without explanation. But it’s obvious it was reacting to all the controversy over the Confederate battle flag after the Charleston shooter was shown with the flag. The orange 1969 Charger dubbed the General Lee on the show has a Confederate battle flag on its roof.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/04/dukes-of-hazzard-dvd-download-sales-soar-after-tv-land-ban/

It's patently obvious the sales of these DVDs and the downloads must be prohibited. In addition everyone who has made such a purchase must be investigated for incorrect flag attitudes. Confiscation of DVDs, deletion of downloads, fines, and even jail terms for the more recalcitrant may be appropriate.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline evadR

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/04/dukes-of-hazzard-dvd-download-sales-soar-after-tv-land-ban/

It's patently obvious the sales of these DVDs and the downloads must be prohibited. In addition everyone who has made such a purchase must be investigated for incorrect flag attitudes. Confiscation of DVDs, deletion of downloads, fines, and even jail terms for the more recalcitrant may be appropriate.
Equilibrium

Offline evadR

...and don't forget to take your Prozium

Online mountaineer

Meanwhile, the "good ol boys" from Hazzard County must have been working overtime in Chicago this weekend.  Just look what they and their darned flag did!

7-year-old boy killed among 30 shot in 8 hours overnight
By Peter Nickeas, Alexandra Chachkevitch and Jeremy Gorner   Chicago Tribune
July 5, 2015, 5:14 AM

A 7-year-old boy and two men were killed overnight and at least 27 other people were injured during an 8-hour stretch that started not long after dark..

Someone opened fire in the 1100 block of North Harding Street about 11:55 p.m., hitting the 7-year-old boy and a 26-year-old woman.

The boy was with his father after spending the day at his grandmother's house at a July 4th celebration.

The boy was hit in the right side of the chest and was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition.

His grandmother, Vedia Hailey, said she learned about the shooting when she got a phone call from her daughter -- Amari's mother -- who had spoken to his father.

"It's crazy. Who would shoot a 7-year-old in the chest?" Hailey, 52, said in an incredulous tone as tears streamed down her face early Sunday outside Stroger Hospital. "Who would do that to a baby? When is it going to stop?"

He was later pronounced dead, according to police. The woman was hit in the chest and was also taken to Stroger where her condition stabilized.

Police officers blocked off an intersection of Harding Avenue and Thomas Street with yellow and red tape. The crime scene extended half block on Harding north of Thomas. Several neighbors gathered at each side of the scene, watching police officers.

Hollie Williams, 38, a nearby resident, walked up to the yellow tape, wondering if a friend who lived on the block was the one who got shot. She said she was washing dishes in the kitchen when her 9-year-old son ran in, scared, saying he heard gunshots.

"I didn't even hear anything with all the fireworks," Williams said. "I was shocked he knew the difference between gunshots and fireworks."

A man was killed and two others were wounded in the Albany Park neighborhood about 2:45 a.m. The three were sitting in a van when someone walked up and started shooting, police said. A 26-year-old man shot in the chest was pronounced dead at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. A 26-year-old woman was shot in the finger and a 17-year-old boy was shot in the right leg.

Around 12:55 a.m. Sunday, a 26-year-old man was shot to death in the South Shore neighborhood on the South Side, police said, citing preliminary information. The shooting happened on the 7700 block of South South Shore Drive. The man was taken to South Shore Hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said. No additional information was immediately available.

A man walked into Mount Sinai Hospital with a gunshot wound to his back but wouldn't tell police where he was shot.

About 4 a.m., a man was shot in the 400 block of North Cicero Avenue in the Austin neighborhood. The 25-year-old was hit in the left leg and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition, police said.

Two men on a porch in the Fuller Park neighborhood were shot about 3:55 a.m., police said. Both men, 31, were taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County. One jumped over the edge of the bridge from 51st Street onto the Dan Ryan Expressway where police found him laying on a median wall. They

Four men were shot after an argument in the Austin neighborhood about 3:20 a.m. A 24-year-old was shot in the right leg. Three other men - 25, 29, and 31 - were taken to West Suburban Medical Center. The 25-year-old was left in critical condition with a wound to his right leg. The 29-year-old was shot in the right shoulder and the 31-year-old in the left foot. They were on the sidewalk when someone shot them, police said.

A 33-year-old woman was wounded in the 11100 block of South Parnell Avenue in the Roseland neighborhood about 2:45 a.m. She was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in serious condition with a head wound.

A 22-year-old man was shot in the ankle in the Marquette Park neighborhood about 2:25 a.m. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in good condition. Someone fired on him from a gangway, police said. The shooting happened in the 7000 block of South Artesian Avenue.

Someone shot a 27-year-old man in the chest in the 1900 block of East 71st Place about 2:02 a.m. in the South Shore neighborhood. The man was taken to an area hospital with a chest wound. One person is in custody and a weapon was recovered.

A 32-year-old man was wounded in a shooting around 1 a.m. in the Back of the Yards neighborhood, police said. The man was on a sidewalk in the 600 block of West 54th Street when a gunman walked up to him and fired shots, striking him in the chest and right leg, police said. The man was taken to Stroger Hospital where his condition stabilized, police said.

A 25-year-old man was shot in the Brighton Park neighborhood about 1:02 a.m. He was shot in the 3200 block of West 38th Street and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital.

A 26-year-old man was killed about 1 a.m. in the South Shore neighborhood. He was shot multiple times in the 7700 block of South South Shore Drive and taken to South Shore Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A 34-year-old man lighting fireworks was shot in the arm about 12:40 a.m. in the 4200 block of West 24th Street in the Little Village neighborhood. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where he's expected to recover from his wounds.

A 24-year-old man was shot about 12:15 a.m. in the 1100 block of West Chicago Avenue in the River West neighborhood. The man was taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County with chest wounds.

Two teens were shot in the Old Town neighorhood about 12:10 a.m. A 16-year-old boy was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center with a leg wound and a 15-year-old girl was taken to Lurie Children's Hospital with wounds to both her legs. Both of their conditions had been stabilized. They were walking when someone shot them, police said.

About 12:10 a.m., a 24-year-old man was seriously hurt in a shooting in the Goose Island neighborhood, police said. The man was standing on a sidewalk near the intersection on Chicago and Milwaukee avenues when a gunman walked up to him and fired shots, police said. The man was hit in the chest and arm and was taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition, police said.

An 18-year-old woman was shot in the 9700 block of South Greenwood Avenue in the Cottage Grove Heights neighborhood a couple minutes after midnight. She was shot by someone who fired from a passing silver Chevy Trailblazer. She was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition. She suffered a leg wound.

About 10:50 p.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the 4800 block of South Kilbourn Avenue in the Archer Heights neighborhood. He walked into a nearby firehouse and was taken to MacNeal Hospital in stable condition, police said. He suffered a forearm wound.

A man was shot downtown about 10 p.m. Saturday near where thousands of people had gathered to watch the fireworks display from Navy Pier. The man, in his late teens, lay in a pool of blood outside a condominium building in the 200 block of East Ohio about 10 p.m. and a shell casing was found nearby. Police said the man was shot twice in the abdomen after two groups of people got into a fight on the sidewalk outside the building. The man was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital where he was listed in critical-to-serious condition, according to police and fire officials. A person who was possibly responsible for the shooting was taken into custody, and a weapon was recovered at the scene, police said.

About 10:20 p.m., a 19-year-old man was wounded in a shooting about 10:20 p.m. in the Little Village neighborhood on the West Side, police said. The man was walking in the 3000 block of South Trumbull Avenue when someone fired shots from a passing green minivan, police said. He was struck in the armpit and was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital where his condition stabilized.

Earlier, two people walked into Roseland Hospital with gunshot wounds about 9:20 p.m. Saturday, according to police. They were shot in the 9200 block of South Forest Avenue in the Chesterfield neighborhood. Police parked in front of a brown home and stretched tape around a car parked in the driveway. Additional information wasn't immediately available. Check back for more information.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline aligncare

And yet the media insidiously redirects attention away from the wholesale slaughter of young black men, and the pathology behind it, and onto an historical artifact, the Confederate flag.

We are living through a liberal psychosis.

Can we just let go, please? I don't want my grandchildren having to deal with the slavery issue ad nauseam halfway through the 21st century.

Offline MACVSOG68

And yet the media insidiously redirects attention away from the wholesale slaughter of young black men, and the pathology behind it, and onto an historical artifact, the Confederate flag.

We are living through a liberal psychosis.

Can we just let go, please? I don't want my grandchildren having to deal with the slavery issue ad nauseam halfway through the 21st century.

But you know deep down they will have to deal with it.  :shrug:

Offline aligncare

But you know deep down they will have to deal with it.  :shrug:

Unfortunately, yes.

I'm hoping blacks will eventually catch the gist of what's going on with their democrat party, and recognize the utility of their vote within the democrat party's power structure.

Until blacks start voting Republican, nothing in this country is gonna change.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:16:43 pm by aligncare »

Online Lando Lincoln

I think the solution in places like Chicago is for the government to control my guns. Better yet, they need to confiscate them.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

Unfortunately, yes.

I'm hoping blacks will eventually catch the gist of what's going on with their democrat party, and recognize the utility of their vote within the democrat party's power structure.

Until blacks start voting Republican, nothing in this country is gonna change.

I feel the same about my grandchildren.  But their mom is a liberal, so we stay away from political discussions.

Offline evadR

"I'm hoping blacks will eventually catch the gist of what's going on with their democrat party, and recognize the value of their vote within the democrat party's power structure.

Until blacks start voting Republican, nothing in this country is gonna change."

You would think they would look back on the past 6 decades and see that their oppressors have been in charge and they still have gone nowhere but backwards. 
With the constant insidious attack on family values, fatherless homes, gang culture, etc..what are the chances that any of them "escape"? Based on statistics, the odds are 20 to 1.

Take a look at the muzzie culture and ask yourself why they haven't advance from their 6th century culture in 14 centuries. Then ask yourself why would we expect blacks to figg'r it out in just 6 decades?

I would say the chances that the majority or even a healthy minority of blacks will escape their slave culture in this century are slim and none.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 03:43:24 pm by evadR² »