Author Topic: Final order: Sweet Cakes bakery must pay $135,000 to lesbian couple  (Read 10695 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Final-order-Oregon-Bureau-of-Labor-and-Industries-BOLI-Gresham-Sweet-Cakes-Melissa-bakery-must-pay-135000-to-lesbian-couple-311494301.html

Final order: Sweet Cakes bakery must pay $135,000 to lesbian couple
By KATU.com Staff and the Associated Press Published: Jul 2, 2015 at 1:30 PM PDT

PORTLAND, Ore.  — The owners of a Gresham bakery must pay $135,000 to a lesbian couple who were refused service more than two years ago, the Bureau of Labor and Industries ruled Thursday.

In January, a judge ruled that Sweet Cakes by Melissa unlawfully discriminated against a same-sex couple by refusing to bake a cake for their wedding.

The final order awards a combined $135,000  for emotional damages to the victims, Rachel Bowman-Cryer and her wife, Laurel.

“This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage. It is about a business’s refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal," the bureau's final order states.

"Within Oregon’s public accommodations law is the basic principle of human decency that every person, regardless of their sexual orientation, has the freedom to fully participate in society. The ability to enter public places, to shop, to dine, to move about unfettered by bigotry.”

The Oregon Equality Act of 2007 says businesses cannot discriminate or refuse service based on sexual orientation - just as they cannot turn away customers because of their race, sex, diability, age, or religion.

It provides an exemption for religious organizations, schools, and serving alcohol to minors, but does not allow private businesses to discriminate based on sexual orientation.

The defendants, bakery owners Aaron and Melissa Klein, can now file with the Oregon Court of Appeal.

The Kleins closed their Gresham store in 2013 and operate their business from home. One of their attorneys, Anna Harmon, criticized the order, noting that same-sex marriage was not legal in Oregon at the time of the cake request.

"This is a shocking result which shows the state's relentless campaign to punish Oregonians who live and work according to their faith," Harmon said.

"Aaron and Melissa have worked hard for what they have," she added. "They are living on the fruits of American entrepreneurship. Now the State of Oregon, through an administrative agency, has ordered that all they worked for should be taken away simply because they declined to participate in an event which violated their religious beliefs."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Final order: Sweet Cakes bakery must pay $135,000 to lesbian couple
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 12:04:14 am »
Why is this couple still residing in Oregon?

For that matter, why are they still residing in the United States?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 01:26:46 am »
This queer couple could have had a cake baked by any number of other bakers in the area but chose to impose their will on this store because of the owners religious objections.

It's no accident. The Kline's were targeted by both the couple and Oregon's bureau of labor.

It's apparent people of faith must be forced into abandoning conscience and cowered into submission by government edicts – first Amendment be damned.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:48:32 am »
They are also under a gag order not to talk about it to the media either.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 02:32:59 am »
no comment I want to publicly make :chairbang:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 02:41:50 am »
This queer couple could have had a cake baked by any number of other bakers in the area but chose to impose their will on this store because of the owners religious objections.

It's no accident. The Kline's were targeted by both the couple and Oregon's bureau of labor.

It's apparent people of faith must be forced into abandoning conscience and cowered into submission by government edicts – first Amendment be damned.

A few things.

The couple established this business the same year that Oregon passed a law saying that businesses can't refuse service to people based on their sexual orientation. There are exemptions to that law, but for-profit businesses are not exempted.

This couple should take this all the way to the SCOTUS, but making the argument that you've operated the business under that law and that only now you've decided to stand on your religious beliefs, will be difficult.

The long and the short of it is that if your State Laws are not to your liking, you need to move to a more politically suitable State.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:47:46 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 02:44:26 am »
The Gaystapo:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 02:46:24 am »
"Now the State of Oregon, through an administrative agency, has ordered that all they worked for should be taken away simply because they declined to participate in an event which violated their religious beliefs."

So, if a baker bakes a cake for an after gang bang celebration, does that insinuate that they participated in the gang bang?

Are bakers now going to start demanding to know what it is that we're celebrating with the baked goods that we're ordering so that they can decide whether or not that falls in line with their religious and moral beliefs?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:48:06 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 02:59:03 am »
Don't pretend to be stupid, Luis. You are no good at it.

If someone orders a cake from a baker, the baker knows exactly what it is for. Has to, for the decoration, if nothing else.

So, if a baker bakes a cake for an after gang bang murder celebration, does that insinuate that they participated in the gang bang murder?

Yes. Ethically, morally, and, most important from this perspective, legally.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 04:15:15 am »
Don't pretend to be stupid, Luis. You are no good at it.

If someone orders a cake from a baker, the baker knows exactly what it is for. Has to, for the decoration, if nothing else.

Yes. Ethically, morally, and, most important from this perspective, legally.

I'm not playing stupid. This is stupid.

These people live and own a business in Oregon. The single most liberal State in the Union.

The law in Oregon, a law coincidentally enacted the same year that this bakery opened its doors for business, clearly states that businesses may not deny services to anyone based on (among others) their sexual orientation, and that while some religious organizations are exempted from this law, for-profit businesses are not. Yet, they remained in business in Oregon in spite of that law.

Then they denied to make a wedding cake for a couple of people and openly stated that they did so because both people getting married were of the same sex.

We are all free to engage in acts of civil disobedience, but we're not free from the consequences of that civil disobedience.The consequences of their act of civil disobedience is $135K in fines.

If you are a baker with strong religious convictions living in a State where sexual orientation is protected by law, and you don't want to move or change your career, then I highly recommend that you stop baking wedding cakes altogether until all this sorts itself out or be ready to fight the long and costly legal battle.

I've never heard of a devout baker Catholic asking anyone ordering a wedding cake whether or not they engaged in premarital sex, a sin, or any other sins that would violate his the baker's religious values.

Have you?   

I think this case should be pushed through to the SCOTUS, but I'm not sure of the outcome simply because the bakers may have to offer some sort of proof that they deny services to ALL people who may engage in activities contrary to their religious beliefs.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:33:37 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 05:15:54 am »
Yes, of course I will bake your cake.

You have a choice. I can make it with urine, or fecal matter, or (which i know you people love) a little sperm. You guys will love it no matter which one you choose.

HURRAY FOR PERVERTS! Hurray for Sodomy!

Wedding song:

Sodom me, Sodom you, Sodom us, Maximus...
Sodom me, Sodom you....

well screw this. Just do me in my butthole and it is all good.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »
Yes, of course I will bake your cake.

You have a choice. I can make it with urine, or fecal matter, or (which i know you people love) a little sperm. You guys will love it no matter which one you choose.

HURRAY FOR PERVERTS! Hurray for Sodomy!

Wedding song:

Sodom me, Sodom you, Sodom us, Maximus...
Sodom me, Sodom you....

well screw this. Just do me in my butthole and it is all good.

Some people here have suggested that homosexuality is a mental illness.

Reading your posts on this subject...

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 02:50:27 pm »
Yep, you are right Luis. My post is intended to be provocative and provoking. It is meant to be shocking.

However, believe it or not, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with gay people or homosexuals or whatever they are calling themselves.

But the idea of forcing their sexual preference down my throat, and idea that I must agree with it by force of government and law, brings out the rebel in me.

I do not take well to coercion and force. I do not like the government forcing what my opinion 'must' be on any subject. That makes me, as you would say, mad.

I am a free citizen. And I will think whatever I want. Without the government dictating my opinions and thoughts to me.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 03:00:30 pm »
Yep, you are right Luis. My post is intended to be provocative and provoking. It is meant to be shocking.

However, believe it or not, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with gay people or homosexuals or whatever they are calling themselves.

But the idea of forcing their sexual preference down my throat, and idea that I must agree with it by force of government and law, brings out the rebel in me.

I do not take well to coercion and force. I do not like the government forcing what my opinion 'must' be on any subject. That makes me, as you would say, mad.

I am a free citizen. And I will think whatever I want. Without the government dictating my opinions and thoughts to me.

Who, or what law is forcing you to be gay, accept gay people, be friends with gay people, or marry a gay person?

And it's not that your posts are provocative. They're a little sophomoric, improper and somewhat demented.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:02:15 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 03:12:50 pm »
Who, or what law is forcing you to be gay, accept gay people, be friends with gay people, or marry a gay person?

Are you stupid? What law is forcing me to bake a cake for homos? Well I don't know? It might be the very topic of this post.

Luis, if can't see what is happening, then I feel sorry for you, hemano corazon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:01:08 pm by 240B »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 03:47:41 pm »
A few things.

This couple should take this all the way to the SCOTUS......

I was wondering about the appeal's process, but considering the fine was not assessed by a court but by the Bureau of Labor and Industries, it may be difficult to get an appeal heard by a court. The alternative is to sue the Bureau on the grounds of due process under the 4th Amendment as the fine was assessed not through the judicial system but through another government agency. They can make the argument they were deprived of property without due process under the law.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 04:41:08 pm »
Are you stupid? What law is forcing me to bake a cake for homos? Well I don't know? It might be the very topic of this post.

Luis, if can't see what is happening, then I feel sorry for you, hemano corazon.

No one forcing anyone to bake any cakes at all.

If you don't want to bake cakes for homosexuals then you shouldn't operate a wedding cake business in a State where you're not allowed to deny services to anyone based on their sexual orientation. If you operate a business in a State under those laws, then you either accept the law and bake cakes for homosexuals or accept the penalty when you refuse to.

What I see happening is the laws making it illegal for for-profit commerces to discriminate based on sexual orientation, and people who believe that homosexuals should still be treated as second class citizens because of their sexual orientation being extremely upset that they can no longer do that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 04:42:45 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 05:00:07 pm »

If you don't want to bake cakes for homosexuals then you shouldn't operate a wedding cake business in a State where you're not allowed to deny services to anyone based on their sexual orientation. If you operate a business in a State under those laws, then you either accept the law and bake cakes for homosexuals or accept the penalty when you refuse to.

What I see happening is the laws making it illegal for for-profit commerces to discriminate based on sexual orientation, and people who believe that homosexuals should still be treated as second class citizens because of their sexual orientation being extremely upset that they can no longer do that.

And polygamists? Pedophiles? Human non-human weddings? Satanists? Muslims? Any other wacko bird belief or 'orientation'?
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 05:00:54 pm »
If you run a shoe store, you must sell shoes to people of all races, faiths and sexual orientations.

If you run a bakery, you must sell baked goods to people of all races, faiths, and sexual orientations.

Like it or not.

Christian owned/operated businesses including Chick Filet, In N Out Burgers and Hobby Lobby all sell their products, according to the rules I listed above. They ALL know to do otherwise would invite problems.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 05:02:36 pm »
And the radical left cheers its latest victory in their bullying campaign.

Hurrah for being forced to violate ones religious beliefs.

Good going, leftist morons.....  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 05:03:22 pm »
And polygamists? Pedophiles? Human non-human weddings? Satanists? Muslims? Any other wacko bird belief or 'orientation'?

Yep.

The controls have been removed.  Katy bar the door......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »

The easy solution is they bake for everyone, regardless of orientation, beliefs, etc. What they do though, is limit their product line. If they don't believe in gay marriage, maybe they don't carry a guy/guy topper? They can't be forced to carry specific products. They also limit what messages are available in their product line from a catalog of items. If a gay couple wants to get married, they should be free to buy a cake, but the baker can't be forced to carry any specific product. The couple can go out and buy it on their own. That way, they aren't refusing service, they just are offering what is in their product line. No beliefs are challenged and all can be served.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 07:18:38 pm »

Laws outlawing religious polygamy are unconstitutional under the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Consentual sex can only happen between consenting adults, children cannot consent to sex so I'm not all that concerned by what pedophiles may want.

Human non-human weddings... more hysteria. If you can figure out how to get your goat to convey consent and a willingness to enter into all the legal and economic responsibilities of marriage, then marry that goat.

If you can't marry your goat because your State frowns on it then move to Texas. Common Law marriage rules there are rather lax.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 07:19:45 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 08:07:53 pm »
It was suppose to be too much

That was the whole point.