Author Topic: July 4 Celebrations Canceled at U.S. Air Force Base in U.K.  (Read 548 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
 LONDON — Annual July 4 celebrations for personnel at Britain's largest U.S. Air Force base have been canceled amid heightened fears of a terrorist attack, military officials said.

Traditionally attended by thousands of service members and their families, the two-day event was organized by RAF Lakenheath — home to the 48th Fighter Wing — and nearby RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, England.

However, it was canceled "due to the most current, local threat assessments," the base announced Thursday.

It comes amid worldwide fears of lone-wolf terrorist attacks inspired by an ISIS spokesman who urged supporters to unleash "a month of disaster" during the current Muslim holy period of Ramadan.

And while the military did not mention a specific terror threat, Britain is preparing to mark the 10th anniversary of the 7/7 London transit bombings that killed 52 people.

In the U.S., authorities say there is no specific threat but the New York Police Department was already stepping up patrols after last week's deadly terror attacks in France, Tunisia and Kuwait.

In New York, where people will turn toward the East River to view Macy's annual Fourth of July fireworks show, "enhanced counterterrorism and security measures" will be greater than in past years, police said.

Read more: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/july-4-celebrations-canceled-u-s-air-force-base-over-n386301

There is no specific terror threat, our level is still pegged at high, yet for the first time in years there are military personnel at tube and train stations throughout London.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

Re: July 4 Celebrations Canceled at U.S. Air Force Base in U.K.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 02:20:58 pm »
I find it difficult to believe it was cancelled because of a terror threat.  What would that say about our military?  I find it more likely it was cancelled as some sort of message of "tolerance" during Ramadan.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 02:43:21 pm »
That is what stood out for me.

We never cancel ANYTHING for a terror threat. Never have, never will. But it's not exactly our call.

The USA has a lot of leeway on the bases it uses here to apply whatever rules they see fit. No complaints, that's as it should be. You have a friend staying over in your spare bedroom, you knock and wait to be invited before entering, right? Same rules of guest privilege apply.

So the decision most likely came from your side of the pond.

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 08:23:59 pm »
I'd venture to say it wasn't from Arlington, Va.  My guess would be Pennsylvania Ave.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:33 pm »
I was in Yorkshire. I do not want to be the guy who says, I have been there. I have done that.

July 4 in England is like taking a cold shower in a cold bath. They tried to make it American. But it was cold as hell, wind, and raining. It is a little difficult to do a BBQ, which they did do BTW, even in those conditions

July 4 in England, where I was, it will maybe get up to 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and then we all go to the beach.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 09:00:19 pm »
You'd like it this year :) Even Yorkshire is supposed to edge into the mid 70s for the 4th :laugh:

But yeah, it's not the same. Part the weather, part the people. The English have fun, certainly, but Americans know how to PARTY!!!!!!!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 09:19:57 pm »
You'd like it this year :) Even Yorkshire is supposed to edge into the mid 70s for the 4th :laugh:

But yeah, it's not the same. Part the weather, part the people. The English have fun, certainly, but Americans know how to PARTY!!!!!!!

I have done that. I have been there. Yeah! Absolutely, let's go! I have done this in England/Scotland. And then that 70 degree weather turned into darkness and cold in the space of a couple of hours. 
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.