Author Topic: McConnell: Congress can't roll back gay marriage decision  (Read 13912 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell: Congress can't roll back gay marriage decision
« on: July 01, 2015, 05:21:55 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/246637-mcconnell-congress-cant-roll-back-gay-marriage-decision

July 01, 2015, 10:56 am

By Jordain Carney

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) said there's little lawmakers can do to overturn a Supreme Court ruling allowing same-sex marriages in every state, suggesting any further action will rest largely with the courts.

"I don't think so. I think the courts have pretty well spoken. We'll be taking a look at whether or not religious liberty needs to be enhanced by statue," the Republican leader told WDRB, a local Kentucky TV station, on Tuesday evening, when asked if there was anything Congress could do to reverse the court's decision.

McConnell added, "What I worry about at this point is the potential problems with regard to religious liberty. … There's a possibility of legislation, but I think most of this is going to be in the courts."

His comments come in the wake of the Supreme Court's ruling that legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states.

McConnell's Republican colleagues quickly vowed to try to protect religious freedom in light of last week's decision.

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) vowed to get his legislation, the First Amendment Defense Act, passed. The Utah Republican said the bill would "prevent the federal government from discriminating against anyone who believes that marriage is a union between one man and one woman." 

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who is running for president, also previously called for a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

But McConnell shot down his effort, saying it wouldn't make it through Congress.

"It isn't going to pass. It's one thing to talk about a constitutional amendment," he said. "We've only done that 27 times in the history of our country. It's not going to pass."

McConnell and Cruz were part of a group of six senators who signed on to an amicus brief calling on the court to protect state bans on same-sex marriage.

"I've always felt that marriage was between one man and one woman," he said Tuesday night. "The Supreme Court has held otherwise, that's the law of the land."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: McConnell: Congress can't roll back gay marriage decision
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:35 pm »

Translation: The senate isn't going to do a damned thing about it as longs as I'm in charge!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:26:46 pm »
Mitch McConnell: This SCOTUS decision on gay marriage is the law of the land and there’s not much we can do

posted at 4:01 pm on July 1, 2015 by Allahpundit

Via Newsmax, skip to 4:20 for the key part. He’s not saying anything here that, say, Marco Rubio hasn’t but the McConnell endorsement surely cinches this among grassroots righties as the official RINO position. (Sorry, Marco!) Meekly submitting to the will of the Court isn’t what warriors do. Which raises the question: What should the GOP, as a party, do to resist?

Should they encourage county clerks to refuse to issue marriage licenses to gays? That might work short-term, until other state officials can be found who’ll grant the licenses, but it’s likely to bring a lot of legal grief upon the holdout clerks.

Two things can happen if a Kentucky clerk won’t issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple: They can resign, or go to jail, said Sam Marcosson, a constitutional law professor at the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville…

Clerks and probate judges hold the keys to marriage in counties around the country, and in many rural areas, there are few alternatives for hundreds of miles. Couples turned away could seek a court order, and a clerk who still refuses to issue a license could be jailed for contempt, Marcosson said.

They also risk criminal official misconduct charges, said Warren County Attorney Ann Milliken, president of the Kentucky County Attorneys Association. The misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail, is committed when a public servant “refrains from performing a duty imposed upon him by law or clearly inherent in the nature of his office.”

Declining to issue a license is a good way for an individual clerk to opt out of a system he or she believes is immoral but it’s not a sustainable strategy for resisting SCOTUS’s decision en masse. Most clerks won’t risk their jobs by quitting, even if they’re leery of SSM, and the ones who do will be replaced. A comprehensive solution would require a constitutional amendment of some sort, as Ted Cruz has been urging. McConnell’s asked about that below and he dismisses it out of hand: Realistically, he says, there’s no amendment that the public will support to punish the Supreme Court for this decision. Public backing of SSM is consistently above 50 percent in polls; if you believe yesterday’s CNN survey, 59 percent give thumbs up to SCOTUS’s ruling. Cruz himself was asked about that recently by Jorge Ramos and he laughed off the polling. Don’t go by what the polls say, he argued, go by what the states themselves have actually done. Traditional marriage laws have passed repeatedly by popular referendum. True enough, but to overturn SCOTUS now, you’d need not just three-quarters of the states but two-thirds of Congress at a moment when supporting SSM has become an absolute moral litmus test for Democratic pols among the lefty base. How is McConnell going to find 67 votes in the Senate to pass some sort of Federal Marriage Amendment? There were, in fact, four members of his own caucus who supported gay marriage as of last June. He might have trouble getting to 50 votes to overturn SCOTUS, let alone 67.

What about Cruz’s other idea, for an amendment that would make Supreme Court justices periodically answerable to the public in the form of retention elections? Megyn Kelly confronted him on the air about that last night. Why do you think that John Roberts or Anthony Kennedy would be jeopardized by a retention election, Kelly asked him, rather than Antonin Scalia or Clarence Thomas? A country that elected Barack Obama twice by landslide margins is a country capable of ousting one or more conservatives on the Court. Cruz has no answer for that, and he offers no reason to think that passing some earth-shaking Supreme Court overhaul like this would be any easier than simply impeaching Roberts or Kennedy for their poor decisions (an outcome which he concedes is impossible given Congress’s reluctance to impeach anyone). Even if all Senate Republicans backed the idea, which they wouldn’t, are there 13 Democrats who’d join with them, knowing that it’s very likely Hillary Clinton will be the next president and that one of the Court’s aging conservatives is apt to retire soon? Why would they risk the chance of a new, enduring liberal Court majority by exposing the current liberal justices to retention elections? Meanwhile, Republicans would balk at the thought that even young appointees like Alito and Roberts, who have decades ahead of them on the Court, could be forcibly retired by liberal voters in an election. Retention elections are a supremely risky (no pun intended) strategy for punishing the Court over ObamaCare and gay marriage and they’d be seen as such in Congress. That amendment’s going nowhere either, even though it makes for a nifty soundbite for Cruz on the presidential trail. So what now?

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/01/mitch-mcconnell-this-scotus-decision-on-gay-marriage-is-the-law-of-the-land-and-theres-not-much-we-can-do/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:27:27 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:31 pm »
Mitch McConnell: This SCOTUS decision on gay marriage is the law of the land and there’s not much we can do

Other definition:  I'm a spineless wimp and have no taste for a battle. 888what

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 09:29:42 pm »
They also risk criminal official misconduct charges, said Warren County Attorney Ann Milliken, president of the Kentucky County Attorneys Association. The misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail, is committed when a public servant “refrains from performing a duty imposed upon him by law or clearly inherent in the nature of his office.”

If that were true, 'public servants' would be going to jail left and right...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »
Other definition:  I'm a spineless wimp and have no taste for a battle. 888what

Just another example of...

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party."

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:20:49 am »
[[ Re: McConnell: Congress can't roll back gay marriage decision ]]

Perhaps not, but the states can.

Either through "nullification" or perhaps an Article V amendment.

I was thinking about something earlier this eve, while watching Bill O'Reilly (which I don't usually do) expounding on how the homosexual marriage decision will lead to the revocation of religious organizations' tax exemptions.

Of course, we know that Congress can not now pass a "marriage Amendment" to the Constitution. For them, that window of opportunity has come... and gone.

But...

We also seem to be coming to the realization that the same queer brigade that used the Supreme Court to force homosexual marriage on Americans, is now going to use that decision to try to degrade and destroy the First Amendment's remaining protections of religious freedom. This is a virtual certainty.

Of course, the assault on religion (particularly the Catholic church) will endeavor to strip churches of not only their tax exemptions, but their freedoms to practice their beliefs in the real world as they see fit.

Why not a -different- Constitutional Amendment, that further enumerates the rights of religious individuals and organizations?
Could such an amendment simply state that religious groups will not be subject to taxation?
How might that be worded?
====
"Neither the United States, nor the Several States will subject religious denominations and organizations to taxation under this Constitution."
====

I sense that right now the "iron is hot" to strike for such a blow.

Do you, dear readers, think that 34 states would agree to such language?

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:53:38 am »
That was fast.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Paladin

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 05:00:34 am »
The misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in jail, is committed when a public servant “refrains from performing a duty imposed upon him by law or clearly inherent in the nature of his office.”

Ok, but then why isn't Bambi in the slammer?
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:17:09 pm »
McConnell added, "What I worry about at this point is the potential problems with regard to religious liberty. … There's a possibility of legislation, but I think most of this is going to be in the courts."   

I'd like McConnell to explain why the he!! we need a Congress.   :#@$%:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:58:02 pm »
If the Republicans are smart, they'll focus on religious liberty; that's an issue that Americans support and is easily understandable.

McConnell's right: gay marriage is the law of the land and is supported by the majority of the country and it would be foolhardy to spend any time at all trying to overturn the SC.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 03:29:34 pm »

McConnell's right: gay marriage is the law of the land and is supported by the majority of the country and it would be foolhardy to spend any time at all trying to overturn the SC.

BS! How the hell do you know that gay marriage is supported by the majority of the country?  Because some POLL says so???

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 05:16:58 pm »
BS! How the hell do you know that gay marriage is supported by the majority of the country?  Because some POLL says so???

Not just some poll, almost every poll:

http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

Having a strong opinion on an issue is one thing; refusing to believe any evidence to the contrary is yet another.

"Ted Cruz says Supreme Court on same-sex marriage is out of step with public, but polls don’t agree":

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jul/01/ted-cruz/ted-cruz-says-supreme-court-same-sex-marriage-out-/
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »
Not just some poll, almost every poll:

http://www.pollingreport.com/civil.htm

Having a strong opinion on an issue is one thing; refusing to believe any evidence to the contrary is yet another.

"Ted Cruz says Supreme Court on same-sex marriage is out of step with public, but polls don’t agree":

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/jul/01/ted-cruz/ted-cruz-says-supreme-court-same-sex-marriage-out-/

Yep! Polls constructed to DRIVE opinions on the subject rather than measure them! I do not believe for one second that the majority of Americans support gay marriage!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:51:40 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 07:31:51 pm »
My brother, I am willing to bet the majority of Americans simply don't care either way any more.

That skews the numbers - if you really don't give a toss either way and you are surveyed, you'll give the answer that makes you look like you belong to the herd. You know well that people are timid about standing for anything, never mind standing against what they see as the current.
 :shrug:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:35:23 pm by EC »
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 08:24:26 pm »
My brother, I am willing to bet the majority of Americans simply don't care either way any more.

That skews the numbers - if you really don't give a toss either way and you are surveyed, you'll give the answer that makes you look like you belong to the herd. You know well that people are timid about standing for anything, never mind standing against what they see as the current.
 :shrug:

People don't care because they see that it's not going to affect them personally. They looked around at states that had approved gay marriage and saw that nothing had changed.  Most people have a live-and-let-live attitude, so that's why there's no massive outcry after last Friday.

Forcing churches and religious institutions to PERFORM gay weddings  is something else and there will be major pushback to that.  But that's where Big Gay will be going next.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 11:05:58 pm »
Yep! Polls constructed to DRIVE opinions on the subject rather than measure them! I do not believe for one second that the majority of Americans support gay marriage!

Did you ever look at any of the questions on any of those polls?

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 11:07:17 pm »
People don't care because they see that it's not going to affect them personally. They looked around at states that had approved gay marriage and saw that nothing had changed.  Most people have a live-and-let-live attitude, so that's why there's no massive outcry after last Friday.

Forcing churches and religious institutions to PERFORM gay weddings  is something else and there will be major pushback to that.  But that's where Big Gay will be going next.

Couldn't agree more.  Well said.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »
Did you ever look at any of the questions on any of those polls?

No I haven't because I know what they are doing and don't see the need. 

I have  however noticed that some people around here seem really intent on helping them.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 01:29:45 pm »
No I haven't because I know what they are doing and don't see the need. 

I have  however noticed that some people around here seem really intent on helping them.

Helping what or who?

So let me know if I understand.  You don't pay any attention to any poll because they are all phony and the questions designed to elicit a particular answer.  But you've never looked at any of the questions.  And you know what most Americans want.  Johnny Carson...eat your heart out!   :smokin:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:33:13 pm by MACVSOG68 »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 01:52:32 pm »
Helping what or who?

So let me know if I understand.  You don't pay any attention to any poll because they are all phony and the questions designed to elicit a particular answer.  But you've never looked at any of the questions.  And you know what most Americans want.  Johnny Carson...eat your heart out!   :smokin:

NO! You don't understand or are being purposefully obtuse. I've been in the game long enough to know how polling is used to push an issue like this but if you want to believe that the majority of the American people are in favor of Gay marriage help yourself. I don't care.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 02:19:23 pm »
NO! You don't understand or are being purposefully obtuse. I've been in the game long enough to know how polling is used to push an issue like this but if you want to believe that the majority of the American people are in favor of Gay marriage help yourself. I don't care.

That's exactly what the left says about all the polling on gun ownership in America.  An example from an organization that's hardly conservative:

Growing Public Support for Gun Rights

More Say Guns Do More to Protect Than Put People at Risk

http://www.people-press.org/2014/12/10/growing-public-support-for-gun-rights/

And then there's all those polls showing a majority do not support Obama, and even greater majorities disagree with how he's handling each issue.  And then there's the absolute majority who believe abortion should be legal only under certain circumstances. 

But the gay marriage is different because in spite of all the evidence, some here believe most Americans are against it.

And I'm the obtuse one here?   :shrug:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 02:22:59 pm »
Helping what or who?

Humbert Humbert.

Solipsists question anything outside their own minds and hold that anything outside their mind doesn't actually exist or is a façade put up by others to distort or destroy the reality of their solipsism. To them their perception of reality is reality every other indication to the contrary notwithstanding, because every other indication to the contrary is not real.

Then, when their solipsized reality crumbles under the weight of true reality, they generate imagined conspiracies to explain the fall.

https://thelastwire.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/t-e-a-and-solipsism-with-lolita/

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 02:53:28 pm »

And I'm the obtuse one here?   :shrug:

Yes! And helping to push the agenda as well!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 03:14:47 pm »
Yes! And helping to push the agenda as well!

:silly:  So from your "intellectual" viewpoint, there is only one side of any issue...yours?  I guess reality doesn't trump the 'castle in the air'.   Please oh swami, help me to know what to believe...:nometalk: