Author Topic: Obama announces opening of US Embassy in Cuba  (Read 2307 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama announces opening of US Embassy in Cuba
« on: July 01, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/01/obama-announces-opening-embassy-in-cuba/

Published July 01, 2015FoxNews.com
Facebook9 Twitter4 livefyre4 Email Print   

President Obama formally announced on Wednesday that the United States and Cuba have both agreed to open embassies in each other’s capitals following more than a half-century of hostilities between the two nations. 

"This is an historic step," Obama said.

The U.S. Embassy in Havana is scheduled to open on July 20.

The U.S. and Cuba have been negotiating the re-establishment of embassies following a surprise announcement in December that secret talks between the global foes had led to a landmark agreement.

Not everyone is on board with the U.S.-Cuba thaw.

Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., has vowed to oppose the confirmation of an ambassador unless “substantive progress is made” on human rights issues that have dogged Cuba for decades.

“Establishing diplomatic relations with the Castro regime without verified improvements in the [human rights] situation faced by the Cuban people would not be consistent with our values as a nation and the intent of the U.S. Congress, as codified in law,” Rubio wrote in a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry.

While the president has power over establishing embassies, nominations for ambassador must go through a Senate confirmation vote.

That would not stop the reopening of the embassies, which would, in such a case, be headed by a "mission chief" instead of "ambassador." The duties, however, would be largely similar, William LeoGrande, a professor of government at the American University School of Public Affairs and a former staff member of the U.S. Senate Democratic Policy Committee, told Fox News Latino.

LeoGrande, author of “Back Channel to Cuba: The Hidden History of Negotiations between Washington and Havana,” called the announcement a “major step” toward normalizing relations between the two long-time adversaries.

The U.S. had imposed sanctions and then broke off diplomatic relations entirely with Fidel Castro’s communist regime in the early 1960s.

In the decades that followed, the U.S. actively tried to either overthrow the Cuban government or isolate the island altogether through tough economic sanctions first put in place by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.

President George W. Bush’s administration increased travel restrictions and tightened the embargo with Cuba, but when Obama took office in 2009 he loosened them. Obama took it even further in 2011 when he undid even more Bush-era restrictions, which led to Americans being able to communicate more freely with friends and loved ones in Cuba as well as travel there for educational and religious purposes.

Obama has long argued that freezing out Cuba, a communist island 90 miles off the coast of Florida, has been ineffective.

Since the 1970s, the U.S. and Cuba have operated diplomatic missions -- called interests sections -- in each other’s capitals. The missions are technically under the protection of Switzerland but don’t enjoy the same status as embassies.

Not everyone is onboard with the U.S.-Cuba thaw.

Rep. Illeana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., said that opening a U.S. Embassy in Cuba misses the mark and “will do nothing to help the Cuban people and is just another trivial attempt for President Obama to go legacy shopping.”

The top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sen. Ben Cardin of Maryland,  said even though opening the embassies was part of a “common sense approach to Cuba,” that the U.S. must be cautious about the move. He called on Cuba to admit to being out of step with the international community on human rights.  He also said Cuba must stop its “arrests and detention of dissidents” and said “genuine political pluralism is long overdue.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Obama announces opening of US Embassy in Cuba
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:08:10 pm »
Since Nixon went to China decades ago, opening relations with Cuba is long overdue.

Wait until collectors in America start bidding on some of those 1950's automobile beauties. That alone should boost their GDP.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Cruz calls Cuba move 'a serious mistake'
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:15:12 pm »
Cruz calls Cuba move 'a serious mistake'

Rebecca Elliott
Houston Chronicle
July 1, 2015

Sen. Ted Cruz criticized the Obama administration's decision to reopen U.S. and Cuban embassies in the countries' respective capitals Wednesday, calling the move "a serious mistake."

Cruz's comments followed President Barack Obama's announcement Wednesday that the United States formally will restore diplomatic ties with Cuba.
More, with reader comments

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Cruz: Cuba embassy a 'slap in the face' to Israel
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:31:09 pm »
Cruz: Cuba embassy a 'slap in the face' to Israel

Jordain Carney
The Hill
July 1, 2015

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) slammed Obama's decision to reopen the U.S. embassy in Cuba, suggesting that it was a "slap in the face" to Israel.

The administration announced on Wednesday that it has told lawmakers that a deal has been reached to re-establish diplomatic ties with Cuba and reopen embassies.

Cruz, who is running for president, called Obama's announcement "unacceptable and a slap in the face of a close ally that the United States will have an embassy in Havana before one in Jerusalem."
More, with reader comments

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:53:38 pm »
There seems to be no dictator or murderous regime Obama doesn't love.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 11:15:51 pm »
There seems to be no dictator or murderous regime Obama doesn't love.

Except Putin, but he did kind of put Obama in his place.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 11:18:03 pm »
Except Putin, but he did kind of put Obama in his place.

Actually, when it comes to Obama vs. Putin, I definitely root for Putin.  I would root for Iran against Obama except they are on the same side.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 11:18:55 pm »
Actually, when it comes to Obama vs. Putin, I definitely root for Putin.  I would root for Iran against Obama except they are on the same side.

Same here. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:49 pm »
Geesh....who didn't see this coming?    :whistle:

I am dumbfounded by the lack of perception when it comes to 'seeing' these Commies for what they are.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 11:25:08 pm »
At least Putin respects Russia's religious tradition... Zero, not so much.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 11:27:42 pm »
At least Putin respects Russia's religious tradition... Zero, not so much.

Not only that, I think Putin does love his country.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 12:14:27 am »
DCPatriot wrote above:
[[ I am dumbfounded by the lack of perception when it comes to 'seeing' these Commies for what they are. ]]

There is absolutely NO "lack of perception" amongst the administration when it comes to "seeing these commies for what they are".

They see them, they understand them, they know them.

Because they ARE them.

Fellow travelers...

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 12:59:56 am »
DCPatriot wrote above:
[[ I am dumbfounded by the lack of perception when it comes to 'seeing' these Commies for what they are. ]]

There is absolutely NO "lack of perception" amongst the administration when it comes to "seeing these commies for what they are".

They see them, they understand them, they know them.

Because they ARE them.

Fellow travelers...

EXACTLY right my friend!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 01:21:05 am »
warroom ‏@warroom  · 9h9 hours ago 
Obama treats Cuba better than Israel. Why not? They're both communist. Did we GET anything for this? #CubaPolicy

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 02:11:51 am »
We have diplomatic relations with other communist countries, you know.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 03:34:09 am »
We have diplomatic relations with other communist countries, you know.

Name them.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 03:55:39 am »
Vietnam, China.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 04:35:07 am »
What has been the benefit of the US attempting to isolate Cuba for over 50 years accomplished for us, or for the people of Cuba?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 04:42:23 am »
Vietnam, China.

Neither country is Communist..

From Forbes, March 25, 2013:

On a brilliant morning last October Dong Khoi Street, the premier commercial thoroughfare in Saigon, was closed for nearly two hours to celebrate the opening of Vincom Center A, a precisely, if infelicitously, named shopping center. The development was remarkable, not just for its scale (410,000 square feet of commercial space; three floors of underground parking; a 300-room, five-star hotel) or for its high-end tenants (Versace, Hermès, Dior) but simply because it was opening at all. Vietnam’s real estate market had been frozen hard since crashing in 2011, with at least 13.5% of the country’s $10 billion in real estate loans having gone bad.

But Pham Nhat Vuong, the man most responsible for this $500 million commercial triumph in the heart of what is still officially called Ho Chi Minh City, wasn’t drinking any champagne, cutting any ribbons or giving any speeches. Rather, the 44-year-old quietly watched the ceremony from a front-row seat. “I prefer sipping happiness by myself,” Pham explains later, in a rare interview from his elegant new offices in Hanoi’s Vincom Village, another of his projects.

Pham’s given name translates as “prosperity,” and he is often described as the Vietnamese Donald Trump. He’s now also the first billionaire in the history of Vietnam

Real estate billionaires in a Communist country?

From CNBC, March 5, 2014:

A new report from London real estate firm Knight Frank says the number of multimillionaires in the world will surge by more than 25 percent over the next decade. But that's much slower growth than the past decade, when the pace of multimillionaire growth topped 50 percent.

The report, conducted with WealthInsight, found that there are now 167,000 people worldwide worth $30 million or more, up 59 percent since 2003. There are 37,104 people worth $100 million or more (up 62 percent since 2003) and 1,682 billionaires (up 82 percent over the same period).

In 2023, the report predicts there will be 215,113 people in the world worth $30 million or more, up 29 percent. The ranks of those worth $100 million or more will grow 31 percent, to 48,473, while the number of billionaires will grow 38 percent, to 2,315.

Asia and emerging markets will drive much of the growth. The report said the country expected to see the fastest growth in millionaires is Vietnam, with a projected growth rate for $30 million-plus residents of 166 percent.

Communism doesn't allow for rich people outside government.

China, List of richest Chinese by net worth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_by_net_worth

China is not a Communist nation, hasn't been one in a long time.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 04:45:12 am »
What has been the benefit of the US attempting to isolate Cuba for over 50 years accomplished for us, or for the people of Cuba?

Other than the fact that they haven't stuck the US with massive bad debt like they did the rest of the world?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 04:47:17 am »
China is not a Communist nation, hasn't been one in a long time.

Do you feel that way about Russia too?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 04:50:56 am »
Do you feel that way about Russia too?

"Feel"?

Opinions are not emotional reactions.

Or at least not in my case.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:51:25 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 04:56:45 am »
"Feel"?

Opinions are not emotional reactions.

Or at least not in my case.

You didn't answer my question.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Paladin

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 04:57:49 am »
What's the problem here?

President calls for Congress to lift embargo, says U.S. will continue to raise human-rights concerns

Given how Bambi always keeps his word that's enough reassurance for me.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.