Author Topic: The Supreme Court Ratifies a New Civic Religion That Is Incompatible with Christianity  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The Supreme Court Ratifies a New Civic Religion That Is Incompatible with Christianity

By David French   — June 26, 2015

The most striking aspect of Justice Kennedy’s majority opinion in Obergefell v. Hodges, which created a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, was its deep emotion. This was no mere legal opinion. Indeed, the law and Constitution had little to do with it. (To Justice Kennedy, the most persuasive legal precedents were his own prior opinions protecting gay rights.) This was a statement of belief, written with the passion of a preacher, meant to inspire.

Consider the already much-quoted closing:

As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization’s oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right.

Or this: “Marriage responds to the universal fear that a lonely person might call out only to find no one there.”

This isn’t constitutional law, it’s theology — a secular theology of self-actualization — crafted in such a way that its adherents will no doubt ask, “What decent person can disagree?” This is about love, and the law can’t fight love. Justice Kennedy’s opinion was nine parts romantic poetry and one part legal analysis (if that).

And that’s what makes it so dangerous for religious liberty and free speech. Practitioners of constitutional law know that there is no such thing as an “absolute” right to free speech or religious freedom in any context — virtually all cases involve balancing the asserted right against the asserted state interest, with “compelling” state interests typically trumping even the strongest assertions of First Amendment rights. And what is more compelling than this ode to love?

RELATED: Supreme Court Forces States to Perform Gay Marriage, 5-4

The challenge for orthodox religious believers is now abundantly clear: For years, they’ve been standing against “history,” “equality,” and — yes — love itself. Now, all of that rhetoric has been constitutionalized, embedded in the secular scripture of our land.

To be sure, Justice Kennedy did at least nod in the direction of the orthodox, declaring:

Finally, it must be emphasized that religions, and those who adhere to religious doctrines, may continue to advocate with utmost, sincere conviction that, by divine precepts, same-sex marriage should not be condoned. The First Amendment ensures that religious organizations and persons are given proper protection as they seek to teach the principles that are so fulfilling and so central to their lives and faiths, and to their own deep aspirations to continue the family structure they have long revered.

But this rhetoric, as he knows, is legally meaningless in the face of the potent combination of emotion and legal doctrines that have long deemphasized religious freedom. Justice Kennedy’s rhetoric will slide neatly into existing balancing tests, leaving defenders of religious liberty grasping for persuasive rhetoric to counter the irresistible tide of the new, civic religion.

For many believers, this new era will present a unique challenge. Christians often strive to be seen as the “nicest” or “most loving” people in their communities. Especially among Evangelicals, there is a naïve belief that if only we were winsome enough, kind enough, and compassionate enough, the culture would welcome us with open arms. But now our love — expressed in the fullness of a Gospel that identifies homosexual conduct as sin but then provides eternal hope through justification and sanctification — is hate.

Christians who’ve not suffered for their faith often romanticize persecution. They imagine themselves willing to lose their jobs, their liberty, or even their lives for standing up for the Gospel. Yet when the moment comes, at least here in the United States, they often find that they simply can’t abide being called “hateful.” It creates a desperate, panicked response. “No, you don’t understand. I’m not like those people — the religious right.” Thus, at the end of the day, a church that descends from apostles who withstood beatings finds itself unable to withstand tweetings. Social scorn is worse than the lash.

This is the era of sexual liberty — the marriage of hedonism to meaning — and the establishment of a new civic religion. The black-robed priesthood has spoken. Will the church bow before their new masters?

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/420376/print
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Money quote!

"Justice Kennedy’s opinion was nine parts romantic poetry and one part legal analysis (if that)." -- David French

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

I came across this commentary online:
They Played the Flute for Me – But I Couldn’t Dance   
Jonathan Barlow  |  6.29.2015  |  Same-Sex Marriage

The ruling on Obergefell v. Hodges “came down” on Friday morning, June 26, 2015, like a bolt from Zeus. Many who refuse to bow to the dictates of our Olympians will write trenchant legal, theological, and cultural/political analyses of the court’s ruling. What I’m comfortable contributing to the historical record, however, is simply how this all feels to a forty-something, orthodox Christian in what are probably the waning years of the American empire.

This bolt was inevitable, a predictable convergence of American vices powered clumsily by American virtues. When the bolt landed, it wasn’t as painful to me as it could have been. About a half-year ago, I killed my Facebook account. It was hard to leave. I no longer know what my nieces and nephews are doing, and I’m left out of most of the celebrations and milestones of friends and family. But on Friday, I was blessedly isolated from the reactions of those for whom this decision was a cause for celebration. What is, for Christian eyes, a great enormity is a source of joy and celebration for many of my fellow Americans. My friends tell me that Facebook is very hard to take right now, with pressure to change one’s profile image to contain rainbow imagery. I awoke on Saturday to find images online of the White House, bathed in a rainbow of colored lights, marking the occasion.

I feel left out of the celebration. I feel like fastidious Mr. Darcy at the ball, finding it “insupportable” to dance. I hate feeling this way.

In the past few years leading up to the decision, a great many Christians put forth quite valid natural law arguments for traditional marriage, and these were skillfully woven around the status of children or around metaphysical teleology. Some of the arguments required the hearer to buy into an entire metaphysics to be persuaded; it was either abandon belief that homosexual marriage is licit or abandon reason. These arguments proved impotent.

My own boldly naive biblicism would prove impotent as well, because it requires the hearer to embrace the claim that God caused a book to be written that: contains no errors, expresses the divine will by the power of his Spirit when interpreted in the context of the church, and is the final and perpetual authority on moral and ethical issues. Don’t laugh; it’s hard work to maintain belief in something so apparently ludicrous.

But whether on the basis of natural law or biblical authority, the very fact that these arguments have to be made in such a comprehensive way shows that we stand against a totalizing cultural shift that brings its own rationality, informed by its own hierarchy of values. We have few resources to draw upon from American culture that would empower a critique of American culture. How are we going to handle the mandate to be salt and light when even the weight of the edifice of scholastic Christian philosophy cannot best something as flimsy as the implicit argument of ABC’s Modern Family?

I picture the worker at the White House who screwed in the multicolored light bulbs as a forty-something guy like me, completing a work order and then marking the yellow ticket “complete.” Maybe he didn’t want to know the purpose of the change; it was just one more task to complete between breakfast and beer thirty.

So much of our Christian lives in the new United States will resemble this, hopefully sans apathy. We’ll bank, shop, clothe ourselves, feed ourselves, text, and swipe by patronizing (and working for) the funders of this cultural revolution, but we’ll simply avert our eyes when they call evil “good” and celebrate things that set our teeth on edge. In so many settings, we’ll find ourselves struggling to suppress a dour and censorious feeling on the inside as we serve others.

My heart yearns to celebrate something good and beautiful with other humans. I want to shake a tambourine, sing, feast, drink, and cut flowers for centerpieces at banquets. Perhaps the new cultural normal will renew the church’s resolve to celebrate and feast en famille, among people who share a vision for the good and the praiseworthy. We’ll have to relearn how to rejoice with each other, in the Spirit of Christ, so that when the culture’s party winds down, we’ll have a rager already going strong—a party worth inviting the wounded to join.

Jonathan Barlow (Ph.D., Historical Theology from Saint Louis University) is a Software Architect in Starkville, Mississippi.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Some sound advice from G.K. Chesterton:

In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.”

To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.”

This paradox rests on the most elementary common sense. The gate or fence did not grow there. It was not set up by somnambulists who built it in their sleep. It is highly improbable that it was put there by escaped lunatics who were for some reason loose in the street. Some person had some reason for thinking it would be a good thing for somebody. And until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable.

It is extremely probable that we have overlooked some whole aspect of the question, if something set up by human beings like ourselves seems to be entirely meaningless and mysterious. There are reformers who get over this difficulty by assuming that all their fathers were fools; but if that be so, we can only say that folly appears to be a hereditary disease.

But the truth is that nobody has any business to destroy a social institution until he has really seen it as an historical institution. If he knows how it arose, and what purposes it was supposed to serve, he may really be able to say that they were bad purposes, or that they have since become bad purposes, or that they are purposes which are no longer served. But if he simply stares at the thing as a senseless monstrosity that has somehow sprung up in his path, it is he and not the traditionalist who is suffering from an illusion.

Stand to Reason

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

People seem to be quite vocal.  Have you other suggestions?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
People seem to be quite vocal.  Have you other suggestions?

Yes! Several in fact! Starting with the Congress actually doing THEIR job! And every one of us doing ours by DEMANDING that our state governments stand up to this tyranny!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:39:55 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

Yes! Several in fact! Starting with the Congress actually doing THEIR job! And every one of us doing ours by DEMANDING that our state governments stand up to this tyranny!

Nullification?  Wasn't terribly successful before.  And then there's the issue of 60% of the people favoring Same-sex marriage now too. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Nullification?  Wasn't terribly successful before.  And then there's the issue of 60% of the people favoring Same-sex marriage now too.

But do 1/4 of the states favor it? THAT is the question!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:36:53 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

But do 1/4 of the states favor it? THAT is the question!

Haven't seen any polls by state, but with 60% of Americans favoring SSM, I doubt 3/4th of the states would pursue the issue.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Haven't seen any polls by state, but with 60% of Americans favoring SSM, I doubt 3/4th of the states would pursue the issue.

Several county clerks here in Texas announced today that they will refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples and our AG has said that his office will defend them. Oklahoma has already repealed it's marriage license requirements and it's only day one!

And BTW: I do not believe you 60% number for one second! PURE USDA Grade A PROPAGANDA!

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:44:55 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
OH! One more thing!

I personally am SICK to death of SC Justices finding things in penumbras that no one else can read!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

OH! One more thing!

I personally am SICK to death of SC Justices finding things in penumbras that no one else can read!

Yet, interestingly the only things they fail to discover are found in what the Constitution actually says, in plain English.

When words have no fixed meaning, then policy can be made to trump law. And when policy trumps law, representative government becomes impossible.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Yet, interestingly the only things they fail to discover are found in what the Constitution actually says, in plain English.

When words have no fixed meaning, then policy can be made to trump law. And when policy trumps law, representative government becomes impossible.

Absolutely right Andy! Across the board!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

Several county clerks here in Texas announced today that they will refuse to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples and our AG has said that his office will defend them. Oklahoma has already repealed it's marriage license requirements and it's only day one!

And BTW: I do not believe you 60% number for one second! PURE USDA Grade A PROPAGANDA!

Of course, the only legitimate polls are those that ratify my own beliefs.  For example, most polls find a majority disapprove of Obama.  They're okay.  Most polls find a majority believe in private ownership of guns.  They're okay.  Every legitimate poll shows an increasing majority supporting gay marriage.  They're not okay.   :pondering:

Anyway, any state that wants to fight the issue doesn't need my approval.  I'll sit back and :pop41:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Of course, the only legitimate polls are those that ratify my own beliefs.  For example, most polls find a majority disapprove of Obama.  They're okay.  Most polls find a majority believe in private ownership of guns.  They're okay.  Every legitimate poll shows an increasing majority supporting gay marriage.  They're not okay.   :pondering:

Anyway, any state that wants to fight the issue doesn't need my approval.  I'll sit back and :pop41:

I only believe in ONE poll ( I know how those things are done). It takes place on election day!  :bullie smokin:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

I only believe in ONE poll ( I know how those things are done). It takes place on election day!  :bullie smokin:

So in reality a majority of people may actually not want to allow private ownership of guns.  All those polls may have been created...by leftist media...to what end?   And then maybe Obama could in fact be tremendously popular.  But then why would the lefty media create polls showing a majority of Americans don't think he's doing a good job with most of his policies? 

We could get into the whole immigration scene, but then I know you wouldn't like those polls... :whistle:

Offline mountaineer

The problem with relying on polls is that  the majority of people may be just plain stupid.  :whistle:

Offline MACVSOG68

The problem with relying on polls is that  the majority of people may be just plain stupid.  :whistle:

...especially if they don't agree with us on the issues.   :pondering:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The reliability of ANY poll depends entirely on how the poll is constructed and the data gathered.  These days they are mostly about advancing agendas and NOT measuring public opinion honestly.

Let me ask you Mac. Have YOU ever been polled on any of these questions? 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:05:44 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

The reliability of ANY poll depends entirely on how the poll is constructed and the data gathered.  These days they are mostly about advancing agendas and NOT measuring public opinion honestly.

Let me ask you Mac. Have YOU ever been polled on any of these questions?

Only during a presidential election.  Never been polled on issues.  Having said that, when many polls show similar results on an issue, I tend to leave my tinfoil hat at home.  There are what, about 320 million of us here, and a typical poll is around 1000 respondents.  One need only look the question asked and the margin of error.  I do think most of professional polling organizations do try to poll in a responsible manner.  It's why many results seem to favor liberals while others seem to favor conservatives.  I can write off one or two, but when poll after poll lead to similar results, one has to consider that there's some realistic basis for those results in the population.

Immigration polling is a good case in point.  Since around 2005 poll after poll from different polling organizations reflected that a majority of Americans were ready to accept immigration reform.  But it was also clear that they wanted to see stronger border security, better employer sanctions and some type of legalization of those already here illegally.

When Obama began his "children's crusade" by dispersing illegal children all over the Country, several polls turned around and showed Americans were less than pleased with Obama's actions.  After a while though, the polls came back around, but when Obama announced his plan on legalizing millions, most of the polls reflected dissatisfaction with his plan.

Anyway, back to the gay marriage polls.  Enough of them show growing support for SSM from across the Nation to tell me that opposition policy to it as part of the next election is likely to be a losing proposition.  Politicians can have their values, but need also understand what the electorate is looking for. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
OH! One more thing!

Where is "marriage" to be found in the Constitution or Amendments?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Then wouldn't it follow that "conservatism" has done a poor job of educating, informing, converting and persuading those people of the benefits of conservative governance?

Did you know that Republican party identification is decreasing for college grads and post college degreed voters?

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/party-identification-trends-1992-2014/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

There could be many reasons for this "60%" favoring SSM.  But it's tough to sign on to do battle when no one in leadership has (or will, apparently) develop a battle plan.  Without one the opposition is simply overwhelmed--as planned.

Offline MACVSOG68

There could be many reasons for this "60%" favoring SSM.  But it's tough to sign on to do battle when no one in leadership has (or will, apparently) develop a battle plan.  Without one the opposition is simply overwhelmed--as planned.

I'm not at all sure what the battle plan would be.  In 2004 there was a move to pass a marriage amendment to the Constitution, which failed.  That was a time when a majority of Americans were against same-sex marriage.  I notice a few states are going to try to ignore the recent SCOTUS ruling, but I doubt any of the candidates for next year will touch it.  In the reality of economic issues facing us, social issues like this aren't high on most voters' agendas.