Author Topic: Methodist Church Apologises After Almost 2,000 Reports Of Abuse Revealed In Shocking Report  (Read 484 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Methodist Church in Britain has apologised for failing to protect children and adults following nearly 2,000 reports of physical and sexual abuse within the institution dating back to the 1950s.

Publishing a 100-page report today, the church said it wanted to be "open" about the past and to have stronger safeguarding procedures in the future.

Rev Dr Martyn Atkins, general secretary of the church's governing body, the Methodist Conference, said: "On behalf of the Methodist Church in Britain I want to express an unreserved apology for the failure of its current and earlier processes fully to protect children, young people and adults from physical and sexual abuse inflicted by some ministers[...] and members of the Methodist Church.

Read more: http://report24.co.uk/article/200744/methodist-church-apologises-after-almost-2000-reports-of-abuse-revealed-in-shocking-report
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'll say this much: there was an abuse scandal at the United Methodist Church where I attended a little over a decade ago. I ended up leaving the church, but at least they caught wind of it very quickly and got rid of the pastor in question almost as soon as the abuse was discovered.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024