Author Topic: Steve Wozniak: Edward Snowden is 'a hero to me'  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Steve Wozniak: Edward Snowden is 'a hero to me'
« on: May 26, 2015, 06:04:22 pm »
http://fortune.com/2015/05/26/steve-wozniak-edward-snowden/

Steve Wozniak reaffirmed his staunch support for digital privacy in an interview over the weekend in which the Apple co-founder called National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden “a hero.” Wozniak, who helped build Apple with Steve Jobs before leaving the tech giant in the mid-1980’s, has expressed an affinity for Snowden in the past. Over the weekend, Wozniak reiterated his admiration for Snowden in an interview with ArabianBusiness.com in which the inventor said Snowden “gave up his own life . . . to help the rest of us.” Wozniak went on to tell the publication more on his feelings about Snowden: “‘Total hero to me; total hero,’ he gushes. ‘Not necessarily [for] what he exposed, but the fact that he internally came from his own heart, his own belief in the United States Constitution, what democracy and freedom was about. And now a federal judge has said that NSA data collection was unconstitutional.'”
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Steve Wozniak: Edward Snowden is 'a hero to me'
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:21:07 pm »
I guess since I was drafted  and served, with a Secret Clearance, I place no value or credibility on views of rich lucky civilians, who naively discout risks of wartime losses.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 12:18:39 am »
I was also drafted, and I also was given a "Secret" clearance for cryptographic material back in "wartime" (Vietnam era).

But I agree with Wozniak on this one.

Snowden put himself on the line (and paid a heavy price) for having the courage to expose the NSA and its totalitarian and Orwellian work to gather information on Americans.

I wonder if Mr. Wozniak would agree with this (of my own composition):
==================
Citizens protected by this Constitution possess an inalienable right to privacy in their persons, businesses, and homes, and while they are in public.

It shall be a violation of this Constitution for the United States or for the several States to violate or invade the individual privacy of citizens by use of physical, mechanical, or electronic means or by the use of devices on land, on water, below the ground, or from the air.

This protection shall extend to all lawful communications and acts by an individual citizen or between two or more citizens, including content that is spoken, written, or electronically transmitted. It shall extend to citizens regardless of their location, whether in private or in public.

The only exceptions will be as governed by the Fourth Amendment of this Constitution.
===================

Would you?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 12:52:18 am »
I don't like Snowden, simple as that.

If Snowden is a hero, what does that make Manning? Same thing - put himself on the line and paid a heavy price to expose the crap going on. Snowden was just smart enough to run, lucky enough to get to a safe zone and wise enough to most likely hold enough back to negotiate with.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 01:10:13 am »
I don't like Snowden, simple as that.

If Snowden is a hero, what does that make Manning? Same thing - put himself on the line and paid a heavy price to expose the crap going on. Snowden was just smart enough to run, lucky enough to get to a safe zone and wise enough to most likely hold enough back to negotiate with.

I see a big difference between Snowden and Manning.

The most important difference was that Manning leaked actionable intelligence about ongoing field operations including clandestine agents and soldiers on the ground, jeopardizing their lives and mission. He was under oath as a member of the United States Armed Forces. This, by all definition is treason.

Snowden was not under oath in the United States Armed Forces. The information he leaked was general, illegal activities by agencies of the United States against her own citizens. It did not directly jeopardize our military or defense capacity, agents, nor soldiers.  However, Snowden did make the mistake of how he released this and to whom. There were channels he could have released it to that would be less legally questionable. By that, I find neither a hero but I won't damn Snowden while at the same time, believe Manning should face a firing squad.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 01:38:00 am »
Individual citizens don't get to pick and choose, when they do or do not break into secure national security systems, and reveal that data to our enemies.

Especially not with a government security clearance, and contract of employment, etc.

Snowden is a traitor, plain and simple. If asked, I would serve on the firing squad to execute him.

I stood armed guard, over US Army crypto equipment. The enemy would like to have had greater ease and access, of our systems, data, etc.

If I had handed keys to the facilities over to an East German of Soviet operative, the US Army could have prosecuted me for treason, justifiably.

There are no other nuances, period. I could not then decide I disagreed with the Cold War, or US Army security classification or data components.

If the laws and practices about bulk data need revision, it is up to the duly authorized people to do it, not individual citizens. Not then and not now.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 02:37:28 am »
I see a big difference between Snowden and Manning.

The most important difference was that Manning leaked actionable intelligence about ongoing field operations including clandestine agents and soldiers on the ground, jeopardizing their lives and mission. He was under oath as a member of the United States Armed Forces. This, by all definition is treason.

Snowden was not under oath in the United States Armed Forces. The information he leaked was general, illegal activities by agencies of the United States against her own citizens. It did not directly jeopardize our military or defense capacity, agents, nor soldiers.  However, Snowden did make the mistake of how he released this and to whom. There were channels he could have released it to that would be less legally questionable. By that, I find neither a hero but I won't damn Snowden while at the same time, believe Manning should face a firing squad.

You think Putin's letting Snowden stay in Russia to show his support for a vibrant First Amendment? Think again. Snowden, and Chelsea Manning should be put against the wall and shot.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 02:41:28 am »
You think Putin's letting Snowden stay in Russia to show his support for a vibrant First Amendment? Think again. Snowden, and Chelsea Manning should be put against the wall and shot.

No, that goes to the point I made at the end regarding the 'how' he released it and to whom. Manning was overt treason, Snowden was whistleblowing done wrong.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:37 pm »
Name one person, of the military or otherwise, who has suffered injury as a result of Snowden's actions.

What renumeration has Snowden received as a result of his actions?

Did Snowden's actions advance the cause of liberty, or did they damage same?

Were you in favor of the government spying against its own citizens (pre-Snowden), or are you against it?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 02:07:27 pm »
Name one person, of the military or otherwise, who has suffered injury as a result of Snowden's actions.

Were you in favor of the government spying against its own citizens (pre-Snowden), or are you against it?

:thumbsup:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:45:53 pm »

Couldn't have expressed it any better, Fishrrman!     :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald