Author Topic: Americans Vastly Overstate Gay Population  (Read 417 times)

rangerrebew

Americans Vastly Overstate Gay Population
« on: May 22, 2015, 09:34:25 am »
- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

Americans Vastly Overstate Gay Population

Posted By Blake Neff On 6:55 PM 05/21/2015 In | No Comments

Americans think 23 percent of their fellow citizens are gay, according to a new poll by Gallup. That’s an exaggeration so strong, it’s close to ten times as high as the actual figure.

The 23 percent estimate is down slightly from a 25 percent estimate in 2011, but still much, much higher than current research indicates the actual rate to be, which, according to research by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is about 3 percent of Americans. Gallup’s own daily polling finds that 3.8 percent of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender.

However, only 9 percent of those polled by Gallup even believed the gay population to be less than five percent. Thirty-three percent of respondents believed the figure to be above 25 percent.

The exaggeration of America’s gay population is apparent across many different demographics. Those with more education were less off with their estimates, but even those with postgraduate degrees placed the gay population at 15 percent, four to five times its actual figure.

Overall, those from groups more sympathetic to gays exaggerated their population to a greater degree. Social liberals thought 24 percent of the population was gay, compared to just 19 percent of social conservatives, and supporters of gay marriage believe that 25 percent of their fellow Americans are gay, compared to a 21 percent estimate from gay marriage opponents.

Wildly off-the-mark beliefs about the makeup of America’s population are nothing new. Earlier polls by Gallup have found that Americans believe the country is one-third black (blacks are about 14 percent of the country) and 30 percent Hispanic (they are a little over half that).

The poll was conducted from May 6-10, used a sample of 1,024 U.S. adults, and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Follow Blake on Twitter

Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact licensing@dailycallernewsfoundation.org.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/21/americans-vastly-overstate-gay-population/

Offline aligncare

Re: Americans Vastly Overstate Gay Population
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:47 am »
Entertainment industry (film, TV, music), news media, and education, primarily college and university gender studies, are solely to blame for this spread of ignorance and misperceptions.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Americans Vastly Overstate Gay Population
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 07:51:36 pm »
I once took a sociology class in college as a graduation requirement. The adjunct professor, a social worker of some sort, tossed out Alfred Kinsey's 10% estimate and tried to tell the class that she believed it was far more than that.

I was dubious of that stat. I can say as much as I know, given there's a fairly prominent lesbian community where I live, that it still isn't much more than the 1 in 30 or so that other researchers have figured. The doubters and naysayers claim that's because the rest are in the closet. I don't think so.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024