Author Topic: Little GOP appetite for immigration fight on homeland bill  (Read 452 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/republicans-immigration-bill-homeland-security-117621.html?hp=l1_3

Little GOP appetite for immigration fight on homeland bill

Last year’s bid to undo Obama’s immigration actions deemed a failure, time to move on to other priorities.

By Seung Min Kim

5/5/15 5:36 AM EDT

Hill Republicans have all but surrendered the fight against President Barack Obama’s executive actions on immigration.

A handful of GOP firebrands are still agitating to use Congress’ power of the purse to reverse Obama’s move to shield millions of immigrants here illegally from deportations.

But top Republicans say they’re not about to go there again: They tried that earlier this year with the Department of Homeland Security appropriations bill but were forced to capitulate on the eve of a department shutdown, having won no concessions on immigration. Better to let the issue play out in the courts, the GOP reasoning goes, especially since a judge has already halted the president’s November executive actions — at least for now.

“The avenue that we took last time was a losing battle, and we knew it was a losing battle going into it,” said Rep. John Carter (R-Texas), the man writing this year’s DHS funding bill. “There might be other things we can figure out. We’re putting our heads together on that — but it won’t be what we did last time because what we did last time won’t win.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/republicans-immigration-bill-homeland-security-117621.html#ixzz3ZGr4hQBA

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Little GOP appetite for immigration fight on homeland bill
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:29:54 pm »
Worthless inside the beltway whores! Every last one of them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 05:45:42 pm »
Worthless inside the beltway whores! Every last one of them!
yep the invasion is occurring daily......they do nothing.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »
A determinedly lawless President cannot be checked by Congress, absent a two-thirds majority in opposition. The Supreme Court is the only remedy, and that's no guarantee, either.

After that... We, The People are on our own.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:24:11 pm »
A determinedly lawless President cannot be checked by Congress, absent a two-thirds majority in opposition. The Supreme Court is the only remedy, and that's no guarantee, either.
I agree.  2005 and 2006 proved even a GOP Congress and President can't fix illegal immigration.  I remain hopeful the GOP can get this monkey off it's back before 2016 but I don't see how that will occur.