Author Topic: 'Trust me' isn't going to turn Latino vote for Cruz, GOP  (Read 758 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/sns-201505011530--tms--msanchezctnms-a20150501-20150501-column.html

Mary Sanchez

It's unlikely any Republican nominee will win the presidency in 2016 without a sizable bloc of Latino voters behind him.

The minority of Latinos that supported Republicans in the past abandoned the party in 2012, and that goes a long way toward explaining why Mitt Romney is a private citizen today.

Yet one GOP contender thinks he has the problem figured out. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas told a session of the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce that he knows what quality resonates most with voters, and it is trust. They will back the candidate who they trust to come through on campaign promises.

I hope he was listening to himself because, from where I'm sitting, that is not exactly his strong suit with Latino voters. Trust has a lot to do with authenticity. It's about whether a candidate speaks with deep conviction or delivers a sales pitch scripted by consultants.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: 'Trust me' isn't going to turn Latino vote for Cruz, GOP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 06:28:09 pm »
I don't think Romney had a huge Latino vote and he didn't get beat by all that much. Unless they are voting illegally, the Latino vote isn't that big, yet.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:39:03 am »
They will back the candidate who they trust to come through on campaign promises.

How about also trusting that "Latinos" want to be a part of the American promise of economic opportunity and security against an intrusive and overbearing government?

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:58:18 am »
How about also trusting that "Latinos" want to be a part of the American promise of economic opportunity and security against an intrusive and overbearing government?

Exactly.  Thank you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:46:57 am »
The majority of Hispanics are native born citizens. 

Rubio is a far more authentic guy, born is the US, not Canada. Plus his wife didn't work for Holman Sachs.

Plus Cruz is making unforced errors.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:52:58 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln