Author Topic: UC Santa Cruz Apologizes For Serving Mexican Food  (Read 720 times)

rangerrebew

UC Santa Cruz Apologizes For Serving Mexican Food
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:31:38 am »
UC Santa Cruz Apologizes For Serving Mexican Food

4.17.2015 |

News

| Peter Malcolm |

After offering Mexican food during its “Intergalactic” night, Stevenson College at the University of California, Santa Cruz found that some students took offense, calling the action racist because of a perceived link between intergalactic aliens and Mexican illegal immigrants.

Pundit Press, which first reported the incident, reports that the College apologized for its “Mexican food buffet,” as Dr. Carolyn Golz, a College Administrative Officer for Cowell & Stevenson Colleges, stated in a letter to students, “We would never want to make a connection between individuals of Latino heritage or undocumented students and ‘aliens’ and I am so sorry that our College Night appeared to do exactly that.”

In 2013-2014, the undergraduate student population at the University of Santa Cruz was 28% Latino; 11% of graduate students were Latino.

Golz added that the incident “demonstrated a cultural insensitivity on the part of the program planners and, though it was an unintentional mistake, I recognize that this incident caused harm within our community and negatively impacted students.” She insisted that that she “will require cultural competence training for Programs staff, in addition to implementing mechanisms for future program planning that will ensure college programs are culturally sensitive and inclusive.” Golz pointed out that she is “an ally for students of color and, in particular, undocumented students … (and) committed to ensuring that student life staff receive the training necessary to make sure that this type of incident does not happen again at Stevenson.”

Golz asserted, “I am working closing (sic) with Donnae Smith, Coordinator for Diversity and Inclusion for Colleges, Housing and Educational Services (CHES) to continue to increase the cultural intelligence (CQ) of our staff,” and concluded by urging students to report “hate” to http://reporthate.ucsc.edu/.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/uc-santa-cruz-apologizes-serving-mexican-food
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:32:28 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: UC Santa Cruz Apologizes For Serving Mexican Food
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:13:05 pm »
Yeah, right.

We would never want to make a connection between individuals of Latino heritage or undocumented students and ‘aliens’ and I am so sorry that our College Night appeared to do exactly that.”

If that is correct, students have become a lot more reverent and wimpish since my day.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:21:38 pm »
Yeah, right.

If that is correct, students have become a lot more reverent and wimpish since my day.

In the US, that they have.  You should listen to the whinging on about "microaggression".

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:19 pm »
“demonstrated a cultural insensitivity on the part of the program planners
How about going after the "cultural oversensitivity" of the complaining parties?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 06:10:14 pm »
How about going after the "cultural oversensitivity" of the complaining parties?

I'll second that!