Author Topic: The Kurdish News  (Read 30686 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: The Kurdish News
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 01:16:16 pm »
Great thread.  Very informative.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »
Thanks!  :laugh:

Zuttish is by way of being friends of mine (it's about 8 of them run that account). One almost got nabbed by the Turkish Police today during house to house searches in Silvan looking for Kurds - was hiding out in a cellar with 4 kids. Heartbreaking.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2015, 11:20:10 pm »
Aftermath of ISIS' failed attack to retake Mt Kizwan (Abdulaziz) from YPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-uploademail&v=cobp8n9l53Q

Note: some bodies.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2015, 11:24:26 pm »
Aftermath of ISIS' failed attack to retake Mt Kizwan (Abdulaziz) from YPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-uploademail&v=cobp8n9l53Q

Note: some bodies.

I hope those are all ISIS bodies. 

I can't imagine having to live your life in a war zone.  I pray that these people's hellish suffering is over someday soon.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2015, 11:28:59 pm »
All ISIS. According to the commander the Kurds had minor injuries (I think. He's talking some bastard dialect of Sorani that is horrible to make out.)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2015, 07:01:23 am »
International brigade of Rojava

Finlay our documentary online !

These are the women fighting Islamic State - and, says former SAS soldier 'Big Phil', you "wouldn't want to mess with them".
Play Video
October 14 at 10:39pm · Public
Like Page · More

Comment

52 people like this.

Film is 43 minutes. https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/12074250_1731600930458669_622263771_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InNkIn0%3D&oh=ad3c89754657bb671f4260a9b1b73faa&oe=5620B956

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2015, 09:42:43 pm »
I enjoyed this tweet

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2015, 12:12:16 am »
I enjoyed this tweet

I love this, may I save the picture to my files and use it elsewhere?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2015, 12:44:22 am »
I love this, may I save the picture to my files and use it elsewhere?

I definitely would but my main computer is on the fritz at the moment and I am confined to this damned tablet!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:11 am »
Please do! It's from one of the Kurdish twitter accounts - can't remember which one.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2015, 01:03:35 am »
Please do! It's from one of the Kurdish twitter accounts - can't remember which one.

Thanks EC!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2015, 11:03:07 pm »
Video military operation of the Peshmerga and US Army in Hawija

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNvs0dvtoc0&feature=youtu.be

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2015, 12:27:28 pm »
Rojava Defense Units ‏@DefenseUnits 10m10 minutes ago

1/3 #Syria'n Democratic Forces #QSD clear remaining extent near Tishrin Dam as they pushed #ISIS off the strategic region today in S #Kobane
17 retweets 16 likes

Rojava Defense Units ‏@DefenseUnits 7m7 minutes ago

2/3 Large numbers of IEDs are set up in the area as this turns into #ISIS’ last resort, #QSD units continue a quick advance since Dec. 23
9 retweets 9 likes

Rojava Defense Units ‏@DefenseUnits 2m2 minutes ago

3/3 After losing the dam, #ISIS elements are reported to be fleeing the town #Manbij in #Aleppo, western Euphrates. Statements to follow.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 12:28:44 pm by EC »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2016, 08:22:01 am »
Given this article it's own thread, seeing as the antics of the Turks have gotten worse.

Turkish Security Forces Attack Newroz Celebrations Across the Country
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,199486.msg818547.html#msg818547

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2016, 09:19:30 am »
Euphrates front line against ISIS - The foreign volunteers

15 minute video:
https://vimeo.com/160044143

The report takes us into the new front against ISIS on the Euphrates River in Syria (Rojava for the Kurds).
On the east bank of the river the Kurdish guerrilla - YPG. On the west bank - ISIS in the city of Jarabulus .
Kurdish women are firing across the river on the positions of ISIS and explain the added value of the women in the battle against Jihadists.

We focus on volunteers who came to Syria to fight alongside YPG against ISIS.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
http://ekurd.net/  Kurdish news.

http://www.aina.org/news.html  Assyrian news.

Kurdish Forces to Keep Territory Taken From Syrian Govt Forces Under Qamishli Truce

Posted 2016-04-24 17:49 GMT

(Reuters) -- Regional Kurdish security forces will keep territory taken from pro-Syrian government forces during a three-day outbreak of violence in northeastern Syria, a truce document announced on April 24 showed, with both sides to release prisoners taken during the clashes.

Fighting broke out between Kurdish Asayish forces and pro-Syrian government security forces on April 20 in Qamishli, near the Turkish border. A peace accord took effect at 3:30 p.m. (1230 GMT) on April 22 and the truce was holding on April 24.

A Syrian Kurdish YPG official said this was the second biggest outbreak of fighting between President Bashar al-Assad's government and regional Kurdish forces since Syria's civil war began in 2011.

During the fighting, Asayish forces seized control of a number of government-controlled positions in the city of Qamishli in Hasaka province as well as its main prison.

The truce agreement said "the prevailing military situation will be maintained as it is," indicating territory taken from government control will not be returned.

Syrian Kurdish regional interior minister Canaan Barakat, speaking in Qamishli on April 24 to announce the terms of the truce, said 17 civilians, 7 Asayish members and 3 YPG members had been killed in the clashes.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based group tracking the five-year-old war in Syria, said 22 members of Syrian government forces died and 80 were taken prisoner. It said 23 civilians died during government shelling of Kurdish-controlled areas.

Read more at: http://www.aina.org/news/20160424134916.htm

The Assyrian International News Agency is good, Ekurd is okay but not too easy to navigate for me.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 03:00:37 am »
Assyrians, who are Christians seem to largely be in the same boat as the Kurds. I follow the news on AINA.org, the Assyrian International News Agency; so perhaps some of their stories can be posted here as well.

Assyrian Genocide Documentary to Premiere in US Theaters

Posted 2016-04-26 17:36 GMT

(AINA) -- Silence After The Storm, a 25-minute reflective documentary about the current Assyrian Genocide, will premiere in Chicago at the Logan Theater on May 7th, In Phoenix at the Super Saver Cinemas on May 14th, and in Beverly Hills at the Laemmle's Music Hall on May 22nd.

Directed by Sargon Saadi, the film was shot on the ground in Iraq, Turkey, and Syria over two months in spring of 2015 immediately after ISIS invaded the 33 Assyrian villages of Khabour.

The film features many exceptional characters who give great insight into the condition of the Assyrian people in the Middle East. Fadi Khiyo, a struggling local artist from Syria, Savina Dawood, a charismatic young activist from Iraq, and Dr. Nicholas Al-Jeloo, a socio-cultural historian from Australia.

Sargon Saadi is an LA-based cinematographer born and raised in Syria. His latest film is an award-winning documentary called The Last Plight.

The film is sponsored by Kanusoft, Assyrian Aid Society, A Demand For Action, and Institute for Global Engagement.

The Chicago Premiere is sponsored by Iraqi Christian Relief Council. The LA Premiere is sponsored by the Assyrian American Association of Southern California, and the Phoenix Premiere is sponsored by Assyrian Student Association of Arizona and Assyrian American Cultural Organization of Arizona. Events are managed by Marodin Thomas-Zadeh, the film Associate Producer.

For tickets and info on the film visit Silence After the Storm.

http://aina.org/news/20160426133622.htm

Offline WAC

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 03:29:39 am »
If you're interested this is how ISIS fights against the Kurds.......just to show how disorganized they are when they go out on their own......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

Offline TomSea

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 09:35:26 pm »
Bill on genocide of Yazidi Kurds (In Iraq) submitted to Armenian Parliament

YEREVAN,— A draft law condemning the genocide of Iraqi Yazidi Kurds has been submitted to the Armenian National Assembly. The Sinjar Yazidi National Union participated in the elaboration of the bill.

Boris Murazi, who heads the public organization, said today “the Yazidi people will benefit both if the bill passes and if it fails to pass.”

“The document is not vulnerable in any respect, because it refers to international resolutions and laws adopted by the UN, which Armenia has also joined,” he told reporters in Yerevan.

He said the genocide continues today, as people are denied entry to their homes.

“If Armenia recognizes this genocide, it will provide Yazidis with an opportunity to present themselves on the international arena with concrete documents, to say that the US and Armenia have recognized the genocide,” he said.

The EU, US and UK parliament recognize Islamic State killing of Yazidi Kurds as ‘Genocide’.

Islamic State group (IS) has captured most parts of the Yazidi Sinjar (Shingal) district in northwest Iraq on August 3, 2014 which led thousands of Kurdish families to flee to Mount Sinjar, where they were trapped in it and suffered from significant lack of water and food, killing and abduction of thousands of Yazidis as well as rape and captivity of thousands of women.

http://ekurd.net/genocide-yazidi-kurds-armenia-2016-05-19

Offline TomSea

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2016, 02:04:29 pm »
67 PKK militants surrender in Turkey's southeast

A total of 67 militants of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) surrendered to Turkish security forces on May 26 as clashes intensified in two neighborhoods of the southeastern district of Nusaybin despite a statement from the group announcing a redeployment outside the district.

Some 42 PKK militants, including 10 women and 32 men, reportedly surrendered to the authorities on May 26 as operations intensified in Nusaybin’s Fırat and Yenişehir neighborhoods.

The militants surrendered following repeated calls from security forces, reports said, adding that a total 10 were injured.

The wounded militants were brought to Nusaybin State Hospital for treatment.

The surrender on May 26 was the highest number of PKK militants to yield to security forces in the district, just a day after 25 militants surrendered on May 24.

The 25 militants surrendered after reportedly being cornered in Nusaybin’s Fırat neighborhood. Reports indicate that initially only one militant waved the white flag and that she later convinced 24 others to follow.

More At: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/67-pkk-militants-surrender-in-turkeys-southeast.aspx?pageID=238&nID=99711&NewsCatID=341

Offline TomSea

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2016, 01:06:15 pm »
Senator McCain Sends Letter on Assyrians to Kurdish President

President Massoud Barzani,

I write to you to express my concerns regarding alarming new reports that allege the mistreatment of the Christian Assyrian community in the Nineveh Plains region by the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG). Despite heightened political instability and violence in the region, it remains essential to not only protect, but also respect the fundamental rights and freedoms of the Assyrian community and similarly vulnerable peoples in Iraq.

I recently had the pleasure to meet with the Christian Assyrian community in Phoenix, Arizona, many of whom have relatives and loved ones living in Iraq, and they expressed their collective concerns regarding the treatment of Christians in Northern Iraq. While listening to their testimony, I was troubled by their reports that the KRG has denied basic services to the Assyrian community, prevented their freedom of movement and assembly, and confiscated weapons desperately needed to defend the community from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). Of further concern were their reports of land confiscation and statements you have made regarding Kurdish territorial claims to the Nineveh Plains region. I hope you will address these allegations and I ask for your clarification on these important issues.

The Christian Assyrian community has a long history in Iraq and they have contributed significantly to the country's unique social fabric. They deserve the same rights and protection as other groups and minority communities in the region, including the Kurdish community. Therefore, I encourage you and your government to respect and protect their fundamental rights and freedom, and work with local Assyrian community leaders on communal governance initiatives.

The United States deeply values its strong relationship with the KRG and Peshmerga forces, and we are proud to provide assistance to your government including up to $480 million for food, fuel, medical supplies and stipends for Peshmerga fighters as well as two brigade sets of equipment. The Peshmerga forces have been instrumental in the fight against ISIL, and the KRG has routinely proven itself a reliable ally. But as ISIL continues to threaten our collective security, we cannot afford to endanger our partnership through actions that could undermine the shared values at its foundation. I hope you will work towards a more cooperative relationship with the Christian Assyrian community and honor the commitment you made to protect the Assyrians and similarly vulnerable peoples in the Nineveh Plains. I look forward to continuing my support for your government's efforts and working with you to fulfill our collective humanitarian obligations.

Sincerely,
John McCain
United States Senator

http://aina.org/releases/20160528013501.htm

Offline TomSea

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2016, 01:13:06 pm »
No More Talks With The PKK?

An ethnic Kurdish parliamentarian, Orhan Miroglu, himself a member of Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), recently told a Turkish TV channel that in this “new era” there will be no talks whatsoever with the PKK or the HDP, unlike the last two years. The “dialogue will now be with all the layers of the people and the Kurdish population,” he said.

“It is not only PKK terror that we are fighting against,” Miroglu said. The PKK has become “an organization of the Iranians, of Syrians, Europeans, Americans, and of the Assad regime and [they plot to] dismember Turkey.”

Confidential talks between the Turkish government and PKK officials broke down last summer. Unconfirmed reports from the government side indicated that the Kurdish side was raising demands that included a separate region with a separate flag and security force that, in the Turkish view, came close to de facto independence. The collapse of talks ended a cease-fire agreement between the two parties and the PKK resumed its terror attacks, with the Turkish military and security forces fiercely hitting back.

Kurdish militants increased their bombings of public and civilian targets in urban centers. According to an International Crisis Group survey, 350 Turkish police and security forces and 250 civilians have been killed in hostilities related to Kurdish militantcy since July 2015. The HDP, though publicly expressing regret about “all kinds of violence,” has demonstrated a reluctance to clearly condemn terrorist attacks, maintaining its rhetoric that such attacks are a “reaction” to the “just and suppressed” demands of the Kurdish population.

Read More At: http://www.rferl.org/content/turkey-kurdish-talks-pkk-akp-hdp-kurdistan-workers-party/27765156.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2016, 03:34:23 pm »
VOA video of the Syrian Democratic Forces up at the front lines, no violence.

http://www.voanews.com/media/video/islamic-state-using-civilians-as-human-shields-in-syria/3361515.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:34:42 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2016, 11:51:04 pm »
Germany starts trial of alleged Turkish and Kurdish militants

MUNICH,— Ten people with Turkish and Kurdish backgrounds went on trial in Germany on Friday accused of belonging to a left-wing militant group in Turkey, a case defense lawyers say is politically motivated.

The nine men and one woman face charges of organizing propaganda events, raising funds and recruiting for the Communist Party of Turkey/Marxist-Leninist (TKP/ML), founded in 1972 and listed among a dozen active militant groups in Turkey.

Defense lawyers say the trial panders to President Tayyip Erdogan, whose relations with Germany are under strain after the German parliament labeled the 1915 mass killings of Armenians an act of genocide. The lawyers have told German media that a large part of the files presented in court were supplied by Turkish authorities.

More At: http://ekurd.net/germany-trial-turkish-kurdish-2016-06-17

Offline TomSea

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2016, 04:21:34 pm »
Assyrians Demonstrate in Sweden, Germany Against Kurdish Land Grabs in North Iraq

Stockholm (AINA) -- Assyrians in Europe took to the streets on Saturday, May 28 to protest the ongoing Kurdish expropriation of Assyrian lands in North Iraq (AINA 2016-04-14). Demonstrations were held in Gutersloh, Germany and in Stockholm and Gothenburg in Sweden. The street protests were organized by the Assyrian Confederation of Europe, an umbrella for the national Assyrian federations in EU countries.

The issue of Kurdish land expropriation in Assyrian areas in North Iraq was recently highlighted by Human Rights Watch in a report on the most recent case which took place in April this year in an area called Nahla valley. Following a familiar pattern, an influential Kurdish businessman with ties to the ruling Barzani clan started building on Assyrian owned lands in the Nahla valley. When Assyrians of the area tried to stage a protest outside the regional parliament in Arbil they were met with armed peshmerga and Kurdish security known as Asayish.

More At: http://www.aina.org/news/20160530134729.htm
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 04:21:55 pm by TomSea »