Author Topic: Bataan: Surrender, Liberation, and Repatriation  (Read 827 times)

rangerrebew

Bataan: Surrender, Liberation, and Repatriation
« on: April 04, 2015, 04:28:42 pm »
Surrender, Liberation, and Repatriation

When did the bombing campaign begin against Japan?

The actual bombing started at the end of 1944. It really intensified in 1945! The Americans had started bombing close by our camp. We could hear the bombs! We couldn't see the planes because bombing usually occurred at night and at a very high level.

B-29 Bombers Drop Their Payloads -- Photo: Courtesy of the 500th Bomb Group The B-29s bombers mined an entire inlet close to our camp with magnetic mines. The Japanese had a large steel manufacturing plant there. Every once in a while, we would hear a "boom" when a mine detonated. We didn't know whether a ship detonated one or it just detonated itself.

Did the Americans bomb close to you?
 One night, the steel plant in the town of Takaoka was firebombed. It was about fifteen miles from the POW camp. We knew bombing was happening because we knew what bombing was! Everyone left the barracks. The Japanese guards tried to run us back in but they couldn't. Then they left us alone. We even climbed on top of the roof. We could see the flames in the distance and hear the reverberations. We cheered. It was a real high point for us!

When did you start thinking your captivity may be coming to an end?
 I'm not sure when I actually did. But, it was much different in Japan than in the Philippines. In Japan, I think everybody felt deep down we were eventually going to get out of there.

Why was that?
 We had lived this long and we had indications things were getting better. A batch of British prisoners arrived from Singapore in early 1945. I don't know what their job assignments were. They didn't work with us. They didn't have much to do with us either. They did run a tight ship; I'll say that for them.

In fact, their officers tried to make us salute but we told them to "shove it." We didn't even salute our own officers and they didn't expect it. On their work details, the British prisoners would come back with smuggled newspapers. Some of their guys could read and speak Japanese. They would share some of the anecdotes with us, like, for instance, the Japanese never retreated. They advanced to the rear to prepare positions. From this information, we could figure out the Americans were on the way! The newspapers discussed a certain island, and then the next time it would be about this island, and then this island, etc. We knew step-by-step the Americans were getting closer and closer.

Prior to those British POWs, you really didn't have any idea of what was going on outside the camp?
 That's right.

Surrender, Liberation, and Repatriation

<<< Previous Page Page 2 Next Page >>>

The massive air bombardment continued on Japan?
 Yes. When low-level bombing began at about 5,000 feet, we knew the end was pretty dog gone close. When the first bombing started, we saw Japanese fighters taking off to intercept the American bombers. We never saw any Japanese fighters in the air after the beginning of 1945. We knew the end was coming because the Americans were flying with virtually no air opposition.

Why did bombing occur at night instead of during the day?
 With nighttime bombing, opposition from the enemy wasn't there. At night, the antiaircraft was totally dependent on radar and theirs wasn't that accurate. It was very difficult, at that time, for fighters to be effective during night bombing, especially since they didn't have very many left.

After the bombing started, were you or fellow prisoners feeling scared and anxious?
We weren't really scared or anxious. In fact, we would look forward to the bombing. When it started, everybody's spirits rose.

We knew the end was coming otherwise the Americans wouldn't be able to bomb with such intensity. Towards the end of the war, bombng was around the clock.

The B-29 Bomber -- Photo Courtesy of C. Holvenstot When did the firebombing of Japan start?
 The firebombing started about three months before the surrender. By that time, we knew darned well the end of the war was getting close!

Did you work at the machine shop during the bombing?
 Yes. The bombing didn't change camp routine at all. The machine shop and manganese smelting plant in our area were drops in the bucket compared to other targets. The Americans weren't interested and didn't bother bombing them.

Did you see changes in the civilians and guards over the ninth-month bombing campaign?
 Yes. The civilians became friendlier. The military guards didn't change.

What about the Red Cross? (Jane)
 They never came to visit the camp. We each got one Red Cross package in Japan. The Japanese, not the Red Cross, delivered them. We got cigarettes towards the end of the war in Red Cross packages.

I didn't smoke so I traded my cigarettes for coffee. I finally got my coffee! The first Red Cross people I saw were in the Philippines after we were repatriated.

You liked your coffee! You didn't have any before this?
 No, not in Japan. I had coffee in my Red Cross package at Clark Field in the Philippines.

This was the only time you got a Red Cross package in Japan?
 Yes.

You received two Red Cross packages your entire time in captivity?

http://www.bataansurvivor.com/content/surrender_liberation_and_repatriation/2.php
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 04:31:28 pm by rangerrebew »