Author Topic: Charlie Chaplin's divorce papers reveal film star's 'cruel and inhumane' treatment of his teenage bride during their short-lived marriage  (Read 884 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3021828/Charlie-Chaplin-s-divorce-papers-reveal-film-star-s-cruel-inhumane-treatment-teenage-bride-short-lived-marriage.html

Charlie Chaplin's divorce papers lay bare the film star's 'cruel and inhumane' treatment of his teenage bride during their short-lived marriage.

Chaplin's union to Lita Grey, who was nearly 20 years his junior, lasted just three years. 

The iconic film star was said have bedded the impressionable 16-year-old after promising her marriage and then tried to convince her to have an abortion when she fell pregnant.

On the pairs wedding night Chaplin was also said to have confided in friends that the union was a better prospect than prison.

An original copy of the couples 50-page divorce papers was set to fetch an estimated £15,000 when it goes under the hammer, after being found in America.

She got $800k as a settlement in 1927. Anyone know what $800k would be worth  today?

Offline musiclady

Hollywood.  Misogynistic and corrupt, then and now.

Who's surprised?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

Hollywood.  Misogynistic and corrupt, then and now.

Who's surprised?
Not me, yet I had heard years ago how awful of a human being he was.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Charlie married a 16 year-old?

That little tramp.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx