Author Topic: Milk: End of EU quota heightens farmers' fears  (Read 442 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Milk: End of EU quota heightens farmers' fears
« on: March 31, 2015, 11:25:50 pm »
EU milk quotas have been scrapped after more than three decades of efforts to prevent overproduction.

The system is ending to allow EU dairy businesses to compete with international rivals in supplying fast-growing markets in Asia and Africa.

The Irish Republic, the Netherlands and Germany are all expected to increase production sharply.

UK farmers have said it could lead to further falls in the price they receive for their milk.

EU Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development Phil Hogan said the ending of quotas was both a challenge and an opportunity for the EU.

"It is a challenge because an entire generation of dairy farmers will have to live under completely new circumstances and volatility will surely accompany them along the road," he said.

"But it certainly is an opportunity in terms of growth and jobs."
'Huge milk pools'

The National Farmers' Union (NFU) urged all countries to "act responsibly and collectively" and said the lifting of quotas could mean fresh price falls for English and Welsh farmers, who have operated within the system for the past 15 years.

NFU dairy board chairman Rob Harrison said: "With milk prices yet to show any strong signs of recovery, this could push farm gate milk prices down further in the EU and stall any recovery in the dairy markets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32136218

The timing is interesting, to say the least. Farmers here tend conservative.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Milk: End of EU quota heightens farmers' fears
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:03:00 am »
Don't know if this is related, but this past Christmas was the first time I'd ever seen Irish butter in our local Walmart.  First time I've tried it - and it was very good!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

Re: Milk: End of EU quota heightens farmers' fears
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:36:12 am »
UK farmers have said it could lead to further falls in the price they receive for their milk.

Then find something more productive to do with your herds and land.