Author Topic: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law  (Read 17590 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Indiana governor backs down, calls for fix to religious law
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 08:01:56 pm »
I don't think Bastiat would have liked Martin Luther....

Martin Luther was the Alpha from whence all religious collectivists descended from.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Relic

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 08:03:42 pm »
I have you on ignore for a good reason but unfortunately I looked in on the thread without signing in to the site and there you were.

Your posts make no sense, and this one is no exception.

It's good that you started out with a personal attack. I find that almost always makes anything that follows carry more weight with my intended audience. /s

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2015, 08:06:40 pm »
It's good that you started out with a personal attack. I find that almost always makes anything that follows carry more weight with my intended audience. /s

He makes no sense and your selective vision gives you no credibility.

Here's the first of Dan's post that caught my eye.

It's interesting that the more liberal members of the forum follow in the true liberal tradition of arguing over terms rather than substance.

Since you add nothing to most discussions, like Dan adds nothing,you'll go on the dustbin of ignore as well.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 08:15:32 pm »
Cyber Liberty wrote:
[[ Actually, R-I-N-O isn't the dirty word the forum software should be scrubbing.  It's S-O-C-O-N. ]]

Kudos and applause to you!

Is it really, really necessary to introduce into this forum the same kind of censorship that has become de riguer over at "that other place"....?

I believe in free speech. In my impetulant youth, I remember signing a petition in Westport (CT) to get the communist party on the ballot. I think I got investigated by the FBI for that one. That was about 43 years ago or so.

I've wised up a bit since then, but not insofar as speech is concerned.
If the black muslims want to chant, "Black Power", that's fine with me.
If the white supremecists want to respond, "White Power", well, that's fine with me, too.

If you want to call me names, such as "bigot", "racis'", "sexist", "homophobe", "xenophobe", "intolerant", "judgmental" and "discriminatory", well .... go right ahead! I'll nod to every one.

Do so if you wish, but if you do, better be ready for me to call YOU some names in return.

As far as politics goes, I -like it- "down and dirty". Save the politeness and gentlemanly behavior for somewhere else. Back around the time of the Civil War (or was it shortly afterwards), there were some instances of physical assaults by one Congressman on another. Fine with me. I WANT to be represented by guys (no women, thank you very much) who will FIGHT for what they believe in!

How much "fight" are we seeing from the entire Republican party, lately ????

Offline Relic

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 08:18:16 pm »

It's interesting that the more liberal members of the forum follow in the true liberal tradition of arguing over terms rather than substance.

Since you add nothing to most discussions, like Dan adds nothing,you'll go on the dustbin of ignore as well.

I'm heartbroken.
At least when I'm not contributing, I make it short. You are a typical liberal, verbose, venomous and vacuous.

Poor Luis.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 08:29:04 pm »

I don't know what to say...I'm as prone to making silly posts as anybody.  Sometimes I think people read me just to see what dumbass thing I'm pumping out now....  :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2015, 08:39:23 pm »
But he is the guy who began the process of turning marriage from a sacrament to a civil entity.

In other words, Martin Luther is the guy standing at the top of the slide in that "slippery slope" that everyone talks about when it comes to the degradation of the sacrament of marriage.

That may, or may not be the case, but please point out where the Founders were German Lutherans, or even Calvinists, and then we'll talk......

My previous point was that Luther said a lot of things that have no bearing on how we now live.

Scapegoating him because he broke away from an extremely corrupt (at the time) Catholic Church, won't take you very far among logical Americans, Luis.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2015, 08:47:17 pm »
I don't wish to get embroiled in this aspect of the conversation, but I don't think it's a personal attack to say an argument makes no sense. My arguments often fail. If someone points that out to me, well, good for them. They caught the flaw in my logic. I consider that helpful.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 08:48:36 pm »

After getting called on engaging in personal attacks, Luis responds with... (wait for it)... personal attacks...      :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 08:55:03 pm »
After getting called on engaging in personal attacks, Luis responds with... (wait for it)... personal attacks...      :silly:

I'm actually kind of flattered to be grouped with you.  :beer:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:03 pm »
I don't wish to get embroiled in this aspect of the conversation, but I don't think it's a personal attack to say an argument makes no sense. My arguments often fail. If someone points that out to me, well, good for them. They caught the flaw in my logic. I consider that helpful.

Agree.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:45 pm »

Oh you are a bad boy...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline musiclady

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2015, 09:01:44 pm »

Oh, don't go there, Relic.

You're in a whole different universe!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2015, 09:49:08 pm »
That may, or may not be the case, but please point out where the Founders were German Lutherans, or even Calvinists, and then we'll talk......

My previous point was that Luther said a lot of things that have no bearing on how we now live.

Scapegoating him because he broke away from an extremely corrupt (at the time) Catholic Church, won't take you very far among logical Americans, Luis.

Well, they were Protestants, so not Catholics, and all Protestants are fruit from Marin Luther's tree.

P.S. There were so many Germans in the US during the days of the Founders that they made Ben Franklin concerned about the future of the future nation.

"I am perfectly of your mind, that measures of great Temper are necessary with the Germans: and am not without Apprehensions, that thro’ their indiscretion or Ours, or both, great disorders and inconveniences may one day arise among us; Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation, and as Ignorance is often attended with Credulity when Knavery would mislead it, and with Suspicion when Honesty would set it right; and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain. Their own Clergy have very little influence over the people; who seem to take an uncommon pleasure in abusing and discharging the Minister on every trivial occasion. Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it; and as Kolben says of the young Hottentots, that they are not esteemed men till they have shewn their manhood by beating their mothers, so these seem to think themselves not free, till they can feel their liberty in abusing and insulting their Teachers. Thus they are under no restraint of Ecclesiastical Government; They behave, however, submissively enough at present to the Civil Government which I wish they may continue to do: For I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties; Few of their children in the Country learn English; they import many Books from Germany; and of the six printing houses in the Province, two are entirely German, two half German half English, and but two entirely English; They have one German News-paper, and one half German. Advertisements intended to be general are now printed in Dutch and English; the Signs in our Streets have inscriptions in both languages, and in some places only German: They begin of late to make all their Bonds and other legal Writings in their own Language, which (though I think it ought not to be) are allowed good in our Courts, where the German Business so encreases that there is continual need of Interpreters; and I suppose in a few years they will be also necessary in the Assembly, to tell one half of our Legislators what the other half say; In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious." - Benjamin Franklin, excerpted from a letter to Peter Collinson, May, 9 1753

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:49:37 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2015, 09:51:32 pm »

It's not so much that he broke away from the Church, but that he took what was a sacrament and gave the control over it to government, and here we are, all upset about what the government is doing to marriage.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:51:50 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2015, 09:54:29 pm »
It's not so much that he broke away from the Church, but that he took what was a sacrament and gave the control over it to government, and here we are, all upset about what the government is doing to marriage.

P.S. And making the argument that the only solution and the only way to save the institution of marriage, is to take it from the government and return it to the Church.

Offline evadR

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:38 pm »
I was going to make a comment but it looks like the conversation has degenerated to a farce.

I'll try another thread at another time.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2015, 10:02:57 pm »
I was going to make a comment but it looks like the conversation has degenerated to a farce.

Yep..... **nononono*
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2015, 10:19:45 pm »

Don't label a well-mannered and thoughtful three-page conversation a "farce" because of a few posts that add nothing to anything being discussed.

That's myopic.

Three pages of polite and even insightful commentary dismissed because some people decided to comment on the posters rather than the topic?

And yes... if you walk into a thread in a right-wing forum and your your entire contribution is likening those with whom you don't agree with to "liberals", you have zero to add to the discussion and you are guilty of trying to derail the thread.

I called it and moved on.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2015, 11:03:59 pm »
Yep..... **nononono*

I'm sorry Myst, but I got quite a lot out of this thread.  I'm sorry if I said anything n it to make you think it was sub par.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2015, 11:06:23 pm »
I'm sorry Myst, but I got quite a lot out of this thread.  I'm sorry if I said anything n it to make you think it was sub par.

Me thinks some of us are getting a bit tired of the bullsh*t that seems to appear whenever there's a philosophical difference of opinions.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2015, 11:12:13 pm »
Me thinks some of us are getting a bit tired of the bullsh*t that seems to appear whenever there's a philosophical difference of opinions.

Totally believable to me.  It's why I left for a few months.
I will NOT comply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2015, 11:17:52 pm »

No problem Cyber...this thread has remained more civil then some I've seen...lol...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2015, 12:26:55 am »

Are you referring to the high minded, well thought out philosophy of blaming of Protestants and Germans?

How is a similar treatment of Mexicans received?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2015, 12:59:48 am »
Well, they were Protestants, so not Catholics, and all Protestants are fruit from Marin Luther's tree.

P.S. There were so many Germans in the US during the days of the Founders that they made Ben Franklin concerned about the future of the future nation.

Most of them were Deists, and as such didn't have much in common with Martin Luther.

Frankly, Luther was more of a Catholic than a Deist.

I think you're going nowhere with this line of attack, Luis.....

(Oh, and I know about the German thing too, but Mennonites are a far cry from Lutherans, as well).