Author Topic: Seattle Mayor bans city-funded travel to Indiana  (Read 526 times)

rangerrebew

Seattle Mayor bans city-funded travel to Indiana
« on: March 29, 2015, 09:58:21 am »
Seattle Mayor bans city-funded travel to Indiana

Alison Morrow reports

Alison Morrow, KING 5 News 6:46 p.m. PDT March 28, 2015

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray is banning city-funded travel to Indiana. He plans to sign an executive order next week.

"Laws that say you can discriminate have no place in this country," he told reporters Saturday.

Indiana's governor Mike Pence signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act last week. It protects businesses from lawsuits if they refuse service to customers based on religious values.

It's received national criticism for opening the legal door to discrimination against LGBT people.

Murray's opinion on the order has company. San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee is making a similar move.

Businesses like Angie's List are canceling plans for expansion in the state. Some liken the RFRA to lunch counter segregation based on race.

KING5

Thousands protest 'religious freedom' law in Indiana

"I think it's dumb Indiana passed a law like that," Amanda Clark said.

Though Clark is opposed to the RFRA, she's also a Seattle resident who questions the efficacy of Murray's decision.

The city is still evaluating how often officials travel to Indiana. It does nothing to prevent private dollars from investing there.

"I think it's a childish stab, like, 'I don't want people going to that state,'" Clark said.

Seattle tax-payers disagree about the decision. Some believe Murray is acting proactively against a discriminatory state law by enacting economic sanctions. Others support the freedom of religious choice for business owners, even if those choices aren't what they would choose.

USA TODAY

Gov. seeks to 'clarify' Indiana 'religious freedom' law

This isn't personal, Murray says. He'd do the same for other groups of people like women and racial minorities and likens Indiana's law to the the same discrimination outlawed in 1964.

"I'm not doing this because I'm a gay man," he said. "You cannot say, 'You can't come into my restaurant because you're black and it's my religious belief not to serve you. That is a settled question."

The U.S. Conference of Mayors is scheduled to be held in Indiana next year, but Mayor Murray plans to request a change of venue if the RFRA is still in place.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/03/28/seattle-mayor-prohibits-indiana-travel-for-city-employees/70593920/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:59:07 am by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Seattle Mayor bans city-funded travel to Indiana
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 10:25:10 am »
Um .... doesn't the State of Washington have a similar law on the books?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink