Author Topic: Louie Gohmert: 'I Haven't Ruled Out' Running for President  (Read 980 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=634793

Newsmax
Louie Gohmert: 'I Haven't Ruled Out' Running for President
Thursday, March 26, 2015 08:34 PM

By: Cathy Burke

Firebrand Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has already announced his presidential bid – and now fellow Texas conservative Rep. Louie Gohmert says he might jump into the 2016 race too, The Hill reports.

"Ted is a good friend and would be an outstanding president," Gohmert said in a statement to The Hill, before dropping the bombshell.

"However, I haven't ruled out an exploratory committee myself."

Gohmert made a long-shot bid for speaker of the House in January, managing only to collect three votes — including his own.

But he's carved out an impressive 29 hours of speeches on the House floor in 2014, the most of any congressman, a C-SPAN tally shows.

The subjects frequently touch upon Middle East foreign policy, President Barack Obama's Justice Department, and illegal immigration, The Hill reports. He's also been known to use props, particularly posters of crucifixions that he'll display when talking about the persecution of Christians.

Gohmert also famously clashed with Attorney General Eric Holder at a 2013 House Judiciary Committee hearing , where Gohmert criticized the Justice Department for not doing enough to stop the Boston Marathon bombing.

Gohmert's response to Holder's pushback was, "The attorney general will not cast aspersions on my asparagus."

Before his election to the House in 2005, Gohmert was a Texas district court judge and chief justice on the Texas court of appeals, The Hill reports.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WAYNE

Re: Louie Gohmert: 'I Haven't Ruled Out' Running for President
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:34:53 pm »
 :patriot:  Only 46 to go then..

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:24:19 pm »
Love Gohmert - but please don't do it!  Please don't crowd the field, you and I both know you don't have a chance to win - and if you just want to do it to get "conservative" issues to the forefront, I'm quite sure Ted Cruz will be doing that for you.  Please!

To Rick Santorum, Ben Carson, and any other bottom-tier people considering a run - STOP!  For the love of God - STOP crowding the field and splitting up the conservative vote!  I have to wonder if most of you aren't being encouraged to do so by Democrats and the old-timers in the Republican Establishment.  It is not helping!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Longiron

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:14 pm »
Love Gohmert - but please don't do it!  Please don't crowd the field, you and I both know you don't have a chance to win - and if you just want to do it to get "conservative" issues to the forefront, I'm quite sure Ted Cruz will be doing that for you.  Please!

To Rick Santorum, Ben Carson, and any other bottom-tier people considering a run - STOP!  For the love of God - STOP crowding the field and splitting up the conservative vote!  I have to wonder if most of you aren't being encouraged to do so by Democrats and the old-timers in the Republican Establishment.  It is not helping!

Agree. We do not need to split the Conservative vote especially since Walker is not the person he projects himself to be. Telling the private meetings one thing and the public another and meeting PRIVETELY with the Chamber of Commence in Phoenix. Louie set your sights on the Speaker of the House under the TC Presidency, Please.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:47:48 am »
But he's carved out an impressive 29 hours of speeches on the House floor in 2014, the most of any congressman, a C-SPAN tally shows.

Talking impresses Cathy Burke.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 02:55:06 am »
From a personal note as someone who knows Louie, I really doubt he would ever run (albeit, I said that about Cruz and I'm eating crow for that).  He seems happiest being local and doing what he is doing. He also has a pretty realist impression of how he is viewed on the national level. He knows he is disliked outside the Tea Party or liberty camps. He has said all he cares about is representing the people who elected him and why they did. This may be a non-answer to keep the media reporting on what he says.

On the other hand (and I doubt this with Louie), power and attention are additive. Still, he comes to local, small churches in the area for things like private school graduations with zero media so I still have faith in him.