Author Topic: Scientists say same-sex couples may soon be able to produce biological children together  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Science/article1522406.ece

Scientists have shown for the first time that it is possible to make human egg and sperm cells using skin from two adults of the same sex.

The breakthrough raises the prospect of the first fully “manufactured” baby made in a laboratory dish from the skin cells of two adults of the same gender.

The researchers admitted that the development raised serious ethical issues, but said it would help people who had become infertile through disease and had also prompted interest from gay people.

The breakthrough, funded by the Wellcome Trust, was achieved at Cambridge University in a project with Israel’s Weizmann Institute of Science.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline PzLdr

Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Scientists have shown for the first time that it is possible to make human egg and sperm cells using skin from two adults of the same sex.
From skin? Yeah, the shortest-lived of all cells in the human body. That couldn't POSSIBLY go wrong. /sarc
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

Question: if the couple in question is male-male, where does the womb come from?

Offline Dexter

Question: if the couple in question is male-male, where does the womb come from?

They would probably have to find a host mother to carry a child that was not biologically her own. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point down the road they were able to create an artificial womb for the embryo to grow in.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 03:09:03 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
From skin? Yeah, the shortest-lived of all cells in the human body. That couldn't POSSIBLY go wrong. /sarc

It's alive!  It's ALIVE!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

Oceander

They would probably have to find a host mother to carry a child that was not biologically her own. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point down the road they were able to create an artificial womb for the embryo to grow in.

Then it wouldn't be "their" child, now would it? 

Offline Dexter

Genetically yes, it would be their child. They would just be using a womb that shares no genetic relation to the child.
-Socrates

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Just as much as it would be with any surrogate mother.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

It just gets sicker and sicker......   **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.