Author Topic: Young Jupiter wiped out solar system's early inner planets, study says  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Karen Kaplan
Los Angeles Times
March 23, 2015

Before Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars occupied the inner solar system, there may have been a previous generation of planets that were bigger and more numerous – but were ultimately doomed by Jupiter, according to a new study.

If indeed the early solar system was crowded with so-called super-Earths, it would have looked a lot more like the planetary systems found elsewhere in the galaxy, scientists wrote Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More

Oceander

We need to find an enterprising prosecutor at the International Criminal Court to bring charges of planet-cide against Jupiter!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I never did like Jupiter. Always thought there was something a little shady about that planet. I got my eye on you.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

Bush's fault...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

Offline kevindavis007

I never did like Jupiter. Always thought there was something a little shady about that planet. I got my eye on you.

Never mind for god knows how long Jupiter has protecting this planet from various comets and asteroids..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It's just a gentle gas giant, come on. #handsupdontshoot
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024