Author Topic: Marijuana far more potent than it used to be, tests find  (Read 624 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Marijuana far more potent than it used to be, tests find
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:15:02 am »
This is not your parents' pot.

Today's marijuana is more potent by far than the weed sold a generation ago, according to new data being presented Monday at the national meeting of the American Chemical Society (ACS).

The research comes from Charas Scientific, one of a handful of labs certified to test the potency of marijuana in Colorado, where recreational use of the drug became legal last year.

"We've seen a big increase in marijuana potency compared to where it was 20 or 30 years ago," lab founder and director of research Andy LaFrate, Ph.D., said in a video released by ACS. Based on testing in laboratory equipment, "I would say the average potency of marijuana has probably increased by a factor of at least three. We're looking at average potencies right now of around 20 percent THC."

THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the psychoactive compound in marijuana that acts on the brain to produce the feeling of being high.

"As far as potency goes, it's been surprising how strong a lot of the marijuana is," LaFrate said of the samples his lab has tested in recent months. "We've seen potency values close to 30 percent THC, which is huge."

The National Institute on Drug Abuse says the potency of marijuana has been steadily increasing over the past few decades, but a level of 20 or 30 percent THC is even greater than the institute has reported in the past. As of 2012, it said marijuana confiscated by police agencies nationwide had an average THC concentration of about 15 percent, up from about 4 percent in the 1980s.

According to the institute, higher concentrations of THC in marijuana could mean "a greater chance of an adverse or unpredictable reaction," especially in new users. And "for frequent users, it may mean a greater risk of addiction." Officials say more potent pot could also be one of the reasons behind a rise in emergency room visits involving marijuana use.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marijuana-far-more-potent-than-it-used-to-be-tests-find/

I do the odd joint from time to time and yes, the stuff now is WAY stronger than it was in my 20s.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Marijuana far more potent than it used to be, tests find
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:42:02 pm »
You just got to learn to roll smaller joints and you need to be responsible with it - same as alcohol.  There will always be irresponsible idiots - but it's the same with life.  I may get some flack by saying this, but what I've seen happening over my lifetime is that we  have encouraged irresponsible people to breed, while responsible people have held off.  We now see the consequences of too many stupid people mucking it up for everybody else. 

It's common sense that is sorely lacking.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!