Author Topic: 14 dead, 70 injured at Pakistan church bombings; riots ensue  (Read 321 times)

rangerrebew

14 dead, 70 injured at Pakistan church bombings; riots ensue
« on: March 16, 2015, 10:16:50 am »

14 dead, 70 injured at Pakistan church bombings; riots ensue

By Amy R. Connolly   |   Updated March 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM

LAHORE, Pakistan, March 15 (UPI) -- Two Taliban suicide bombers attacked two churches as worshippers gathered inside in a generally peaceful area of Pakistan early Sunday, leaving 14 people dead and another 70 injured.
Among the dead at the Roman Catholic Church and Christ Church in the eastern city of Lahore are a 12-year-old boy and two police officers. Angry mobs burned to death one person they believed involved in the attacks and tried to lynch another.

Authorities said Jamatul Ahrar, a Taliban splinter group, claimed responsibility for both the attacks. A spokesman for the group warned of future attacks.

"There will be more of such attacks," Ahsanullah Ahsan, a spokesman for the Taliban faction, said in a statement emailed to reporters.

Witnesses told Pakistan Today one of the bombers threw a hand grenade inside the Catholic Church during mass and then detonated more explosives.

"I was sitting at a shop near the church when a blast jolted the area. I rushed towards the spot and saw the security guard scuffle with a man who was trying to enter the church, after failing, he blew himself up," witness Amir Masih told Pakistan Today. "I saw his body parts flying through the air."

The churches are located in Youhanabad district of Lahore, considered a more peaceful area of Pakistan compared to other areas. There has been an uptick in violence after the government's failed attempts to hold successful peace talks with the Taliban last year. Youhanabad is home to some 100,000 Christians.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2015/03/15/14-dead-70-injured-at-Pakistan-church-bombings-riots-ensue/2631426418357/#ixzz3UXh1d7M8