Author Topic: GOP braces for ObamaCare win  (Read 1927 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP braces for ObamaCare win
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:00:04 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/234941-even-if-scotus-rules-its-way-gop-faces-obamacare-dilemma

By Sarah Ferris - 03/07/15 11:45 AM EST
Republicans are under pressure to prove they can avert a massive healthcare meltdown if the party wins its latest ObamaCare battle in the Supreme Court this spring.

Some of that pressure is being brought to bear, at least implicitly, by the justices themselves, who appear concerned over whether Congress can create a fully baked alternative plan if the court strikes down ObamaCare subsidies for 8 million people.

Skepticism has also been growing within the GOP itself.

"This is just going to be ugly no matter what we do," GOP strategist Rick Wilson said.

Conservative justices made it clear during arguments this week that they would be counting on Congress to limit the fallout in the event of a plaintiff victory in King v Burwell, an outcome that would erase billions of dollars worth of healthcare subsidies.
"If the consequences are as disastrous as you say, then yes, I think this Congress will act," Associate Justice Antonin Scalia told the Obama administration’s lawyer, Donald Verrilli Jr., during Wednesday’s arguments.

The conservative justice’s nod to Congress sends a strong signal that the court will be paying attention to the GOP’s moves before June, raising the stakes for action.

While top Republicans in the House and Senate said this week that they are nearing a consensus on their efforts to create a back-up plan for the subsidies, almost no details have been shared about the half-dozen plans unveiled in the last two weeks. Most of the proposals are drawing criticism from their fellow conservatives behind the scenes.

“It’s a couple lines in an op-ed. Who knows what it really means? In some of those, they may not know, frankly,” said one conservative strategist and former Hill healthcare staffer.

Creating even a temporary solution for ObamaCare subsidies is a huge dilemma for the GOP-controlled Congress.

Some Republicans have even said, albeit quietly, that the party could be better off if the administration’s policy survives the Supreme Court challenge.

“Then we won’t be put into a really difficult spot and can move on. There is something really appealing about that,” one GOP Senate aide said.

As a matter of political reality, no GOP fallback plan can appear to extend — or even sign off on — ObamaCare in any way. Any bill that would put Republicans on the record upholding the Affordable Care Act would be untenable.

Instead, many in the party believe their best hope is in finding a temporary “bridge” away from ObamaCare.

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) pitched a plan this week that would create 18 months of tax credits under a Reagan-era law called COBRA, intended for people who unexpectedly lose their jobs.

The credits would not be called “subsidies” but would serve much the same purpose.

Sasse said the debate over ObamaCare subsidies should not turn into a debate over how to replace the whole law. He said such an overall approach would have to wait until at least after the 2016 elections. 

“I absolutely think there’s an imperative that we would act,” Sasse said in an interview. “The national conversation of replacement needs to happen, but we need a Republican nominee to carry the mantle.”

The debate over subsidies is even more complex because so many unknowns still surround the court’s decision.

In its last decision on ObamaCare, the Supreme Court created a whole new set of rules that neither party had expected. Many believe the same thing could happen again.

“We can't really say, ‘This is the definitive answer,’ when we don't know what the Supreme Court's going to do, and they're not going to do anything for another three and a half months, probably,” Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) said.

Democrats have dismissed any new GOP strategies as attempts to sway the court. But that’s a strategy that their members are also trying.

This week, several Democratic members, as well as White House press secretary Josh Earnest, have tried to highlight Congress's recent logjams, such the near-shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security this month, as proof that any decision that depended upon subsequent action on Capitol Hill would be fraught with danger.

Republicans have answered the criticism with more attacks against the Obama administration, which continues to argue that it has "no plans" that could address the massive disruption if the subsidies are erased.

"While the administration has no alternative, Republicans are discussing thoughtful solutions to help middle-class families and give them more control over their health care.  We owe that to all those who have been hurt by this nightmare of a law,” Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) wrote in a statement after the arguments.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

Re: GOP braces for ObamaCare win
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 09:11:32 pm »
bfl

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 09:52:57 pm »
Instead, many in the party believe their best hope is in finding a temporary “bridge” away from ObamaCare.

Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) pitched a plan this week that would create 18 months of tax credits under a Reagan-era law called COBRA, intended for people who unexpectedly lose their jobs.

The credits would not be called “subsidies” but would serve much the same purpose.

One of the most sensible things I've heard out of a Republican in a month of Sundays.  But the so-called "conservative" republicans would rather waste everyone's time trying to defenestrate Boehner.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 10:50:50 pm »
One of the most sensible things I've heard out of a Republican in a month of Sundays.  But the so-called "conservative" republicans would rather waste everyone's time trying to defenestrate Boehner.

Ben Sasse IS one of those conservative Republicans.  Ted Cruz has put a plan out there too.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 03:50:56 am »
Ben Sasse IS one of those conservative Republicans.  Ted Cruz has put a plan out there too.

Hmm, mmm.  And what is that?  Repeal Obamacare and let the chips fall where they may?

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:34:21 am »
Hmm, mmm.  And what is that?  Repeal Obamacare and let the chips fall where they may?

http://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2251

Sen. Cruz Introduces the Health Care Choice Act
BILL WOULD ELIMINATE DESTRUCTIVE AND COSTLY INSURANCE MANDATES WHILE GIVING CONSUMERS MORE CHOICE AND FREEDOM

March 3, 2015   |  202-228-7561
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, today introduced the Health Care Choice Act, which would remove Obamacare's costly insurance mandates and allow residents in one state the option to purchase a health insurance plan of their choice in any other state. The bill is cosponsored by Sens. John Barrasso (R-WY), Mike Crapo (R-ID), Marco Rubio (R-FL), and David Vitter (R-LA). Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) has introduced companion legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives, H.R. 543.

"Every last word of Obamacare must be repealed," said Sen. Cruz. "And while we continue that fight, we must also send bill after bill to the President's desk to stop its harmful effects. The Health Care Choice Act will reduce costs, force insurers to compete for business and empower consumers to choose a health plan that meets their needs.

"The Administration has done absolutely nothing to prepare for an upcoming Supreme Court decision that could leave millions of Americans unable to afford insurance thanks to this failed law. Republicans must offer the American people alternatives that lower costs and break the status quo that favors big government and big health care business over hardworking Americans. The Health Care Choice Act is one step in that direction.

"This bill is a true market-based reform that will make health insurance more personal and affordable, giving consumers the freedom to select plans that fit their needs, anywhere from Alaska to Texas to Vermont."

Congressman Blackburn added: "Government-run health care has been foisted on the American public. Obamacare has promised a lot to millions of people - with no ability to deliver affordable medical care. That broken promise will be challenged in the Supreme Court on Wednesday. If the Supreme Court rules in favor of the Administration, these millions of people will be stuck with unaffordable health insurance and no guarantee of actual medical care. Sen. Cruz has offered help to these folks. I applaud his effort and I am pleased to see my legislation, H.R. 543, the Health Care Choice Act was included in this bill."

The Health Care Choice Act repeals Title I of Obamacare, which includes the law's most egregious insurance mandates that have caused premiums and out-of-pocket expenses to skyrocket while degrading the quality of Americans' health care choices. The act also amends the Public Health Service Act to provide that insurance policies approved and sold in one state (designated the "primary state") may be allowed to be sold in any other state (i.e. "secondary state") but only if the health plan and insurer comply with certain basic requirements of the secondary state. Some of these requirements include:

Paying (nondiscriminatory) premium taxes; providing copies of the plan of operation or a feasibility study; written notice of any change in its designation of its primary state and a quarterly financial statement.
Consumer protections such as complying with the secondary state's fraud and abuse and delinquency requirements.

See here for complete text of the Health Care Choice Act:
http://www.cruz.senate.gov/files/documents/Bills/20150302_Healthcare_Choice.pdf

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 05:31:26 am »
Repealing Obamacare is not going to happen until, at the earliest (if then), January 21, 2017.

Passing a bill that simply repeals Obamacare now is political grandstanding that will backfire and won't do a damned thing for the average American who's going to get slammed in the middle if the S. Court undoes the subsidies to federal exchanges.

And, considering how the DNC is so much better at propaganda, that will simply be spun as another instance of the GOP playing ideology while the Titanic sinks.

Any attempt to change the consequences may fail, but better to pass some simple, common-sense measures now that will tide people over while the law can be comprehensively revised - even if Obama vetoes it - than to play the fools' errand of trying to repeal Obamacare now.  It won't work and the average non-partisan American voter is not going to thank the GOP for trying right now.  Pocketbook issues trump ideology every time, and what's at issue is protecting peoples' pocketbooks from the fallout if the S. Court rules against subsidies.  Fail to protect the average American's pocketbook from immediate harm will garner the GOP more ill-will than it's collected in a long time.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 05:54:37 am »
Repealing Obamacare is not going to happen until, at the earliest (if then), January 21, 2017.

Passing a bill that simply repeals Obamacare now is political grandstanding that will backfire and won't do a damned thing for the average American who's going to get slammed in the middle if the S. Court undoes the subsidies to federal exchanges.

And, considering how the DNC is so much better at propaganda, that will simply be spun as another instance of the GOP playing ideology while the Titanic sinks.

Any attempt to change the consequences may fail, but better to pass some simple, common-sense measures now that will tide people over while the law can be comprehensively revised - even if Obama vetoes it - than to play the fools' errand of trying to repeal Obamacare now.  It won't work and the average non-partisan American voter is not going to thank the GOP for trying right now.  Pocketbook issues trump ideology every time, and what's at issue is protecting peoples' pocketbooks from the fallout if the S. Court rules against subsidies.  Fail to protect the average American's pocketbook from immediate harm will garner the GOP more ill-will than it's collected in a long time.

"Every last word of Obamacare must be repealed," said Sen. Cruz. "And while we continue that fight, we must also send bill after bill to the President's desk to stop its harmful effects. The Health Care Choice Act will reduce costs, force insurers to compete for business and empower consumers to choose a health plan that meets their needs."

I'm sorry Oceander, but I don't see where Cruz says he is going to try to repeal Obamacare - and then come up with an alternate plan.  The quote I posted above clearly says that "sending bill after bill" to the president's desk is the plan - while they continue to fight to repeal it.  I don't see where he says he is going to try to pass a bill to repeal it now.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 01:24:21 pm »
Once again the GOPe FEARS victory!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 01:51:03 pm »

And just what the hell is wrong with letting the 'free-market' Capitalism work?

It's what built the mammoth companies such as Blue-Cross/Blue Shield, Kaiser-Permanente, and Humana.  Does anybody think they simply destroyed all their 'old' software....the systems that were used before OBC?

Those supposedly 30 Million people without any insurance can be sent to an exchange where they can get BASIC heath coverage paid for by the government.

The only thing that pisses me off is that the economy will immediately explode and the DEMS and MSM will make it appear as if they deserve all the credit...making the 2016 election a bit more interesting.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 01:54:35 pm »
And just what the hell is wrong with letting the 'free-market' Capitalism work?

Not a damned thing! We really should give it a try since we haven't done that in a VERY long time!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 02:37:46 pm »
Not a damned thing! We really should give it a try since we haven't done that in a VERY long time!

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald