Author Topic: Why Won’t Republicans Get to the Bottom of Benghazi?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Why Won’t Republicans Get to the Bottom of Benghazi?
« on: March 06, 2015, 04:16:11 pm »
Why Won’t Republicans Get to the Bottom of Benghazi?

by ANDREW C. MCCARTHY October 11, 2014 4:00 AM It’s not just Democrats who don’t want a full public airing. Something bothers me about the first and only hearing of the House Select Committee on Benghazi. Something I haven’t been able to shake. It was a desultory hearing. That’s not the main thing that bothers me, but it grates. Many Americans still seek real accountability for the jihadist-empowering policies and recklessly irresponsible security arrangements that preceded the September 11, 2012, terrorist attack — to say nothing of the fraud and stonewalling that followed it. We were thus cheered when the GOP-controlled House finally appointed a select investigative committee . . . although we were equally puzzled why it took so much prodding, why Republican leadership seemed so reluctant. Five months have elapsed since then, and the committee has not exactly been a bundle of energy. The panel is chaired by Representative Trey Gowdy. We were buoyed by that, too: He is an impressive former prosecutor from South Carolina. To date, though, he has convened just the one, remarkably brief public hearing. It was on September 17, a few days after the second anniversary of the Benghazi massacre, during which terrorists killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans: Sean Smith, Ty Woods, and Glen Doherty. The hearing seemed to be a futile quest for buy-in from committee Democrats, whose mission is to undermine the legitimacy of an investigation their party opposed — one that, if thorough and competent, cannot but damage Hillary Clinton’s presidential ambitions. Representative Gowdy agreed to the minority’s request for a session that would explore the recommendations of the Obama State Department’s Accountability Review Board (ARB) and the administration’s diligent implementation thereof. The ARB probe, conducted by Washington fixtures handpicked by then–Secretary of State Clinton for damage-control purposes, was hopelessly conflicted. It failed to interview key witnesses — including, natch, Mrs. Clinton herself. Its recommendations are thus of dubious value. More to the point, they are far afield from the salient matter: accountability for the disastrous decisions, actions, and omissions before, during, and after the attack. It was obvious why Democrats wanted a hearing focused on the ARB recommendations. It could nicely frame their contention that Benghazi has already been thoroughly investigated by bipartisan Beltway eminences who found fault (though not much, and not by anyone of significance) and proposed fixes, which fixes the Obama administration anxiously and responsibly adopted. End of story, which after all, dude, was like two years ago. In spinning this yarn, Democrats could not have chosen a more perfect witness: Gregory Starr, assistant secretary of state for diplomatic security. Mr. Starr is a highly experienced diplomat, articulate with just the right edge of condescension, and, best of all, out of the loop on anything of consequence. He wasn’t at State when Benghazi happened. He was brought back to the Department by Mrs. Clinton’s successor, John Kerry, after a stint at the UN. He was therefore perfectly positioned to give forceful soliloquies about how crucial personnel security is to the State Department and the Obama administration, yet able to dodge any questions about the unconscionable security lapses in Benghazi under Secretary Clinton.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/390098/why-wont-republicans-get-bottom-benghazi-andrew-c-mccarthy
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:23:26 pm by mystery-ak »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Why Won’t Republicans Get to the Bottom of Benghazi?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30:08 pm »
McCarthy is onto something.  If the truth would ever be known, but I don't believe it will be.  Neither party wants that.

8888crybaby

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:39:47 pm »
McCarthy is onto something.  If the truth would ever be known, but I don't believe it will be.  Neither party wants that.

8888crybaby

Republicans are dirty on this one. So, it's being buried, slowly.

We live in a banana republic. If a member of the political elite does it, whatever it is, it's ok.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:37:10 pm »
Because then the camera lights shut off, and the newshounds go away.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:53:32 pm »
Trey Gowdy is the only one who seems to care but the way committee rules work, he can do little on his own.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 12:06:11 am »
Natch, Dude.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln