Author Topic: GOP giddy over Hillary’s problems  (Read 2649 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP giddy over Hillary’s problems
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:54:18 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/234829-gop-giddy-over-hilllarys-problems

By Niall Stanage - 03/06/15 06:00 AM EST
Republicans believe Hillary Clinton’s fundamental political weaknesses have been exposed by the controversy surrounding her use of personal email while secretary of State — and they couldn’t be more delighted.

GOP figures are happy to see troubles befall Democrats in general. But Clinton’s case is a special one because she is such a runaway favorite to become her party’s 2016 standard-bearer if, as expected, she enters the race for the White House.

Republican strategists say that Clinton’s political abilities have long been exaggerated. They contend she displays an unusual capacity to make trouble for herself and, unlike her husband, no great degree of nimbleness in getting out of it. They just hope the pattern continues.
“She’s a terrible politician,” said Florida-based GOP strategist Rick Wilson. “She has never won a genuinely contested election. She is spectacularly bad. If her name was ‘Hillary Jones’, she couldn’t get elected to a Mosquito Management Board in Florida. She is not a woman who has ever been able to win a hot race.”

It’s not just Republicans who have questioned Hillary Clinton’s political chops.

Even some Democrats have wondered why her team’s response to the email flap has been flat-footed.

Former Obama adviser David Axelrod told MSNBC earlier this week, “this problem is being exacerbated by the lack of answers from the Clinton campaign, or the nascent campaign, and it would be good to get out there and answer these questions.”

A tweet from Clinton’s official account late Wednesday answered few questions. “I want the public to see my email,” it asserted.

Put it all together and it’s a lot of grist for Republicans’ mill.

“The question of her political competence is definitely on display,” said Dan Judy of Republican firm North Star Opinion Research, which has previously worked with Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), but does not currently have an affiliation with a likely 2016 GOP candidate.

“The thing is, when people talk about the Clintons’ political talent, you think of Bill. She is not Bill. She has been very successful in politics but she is not a very talented politician — and I think that was on display in the 2008 primary, and it has been on display again since the time she left as secretary of State.”

Clinton’s main responsibility during her husband’s early years in the White House was shepherding health care reform, an effort which collapsed in ignominy.

And in 2008, she was upset in the Democratic primary by then-Sen. Barack Obama. He was an unusually compelling candidate but Clinton’s uncertain campaign, riven with infighting, also squandered some obvious advantages.

More recently, there have been several unforced errors from Clinton, notably her comment that she and President Clinton had left the White House “dead broke.” The revelation last month that the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation had once again begun accepting donations from foreign governments, which it had prohibited during her time at the State Department, deepened questions about her financial dealings.

One of Clinton’s biggest selling points to Democrats has been that she has been fully vetted, on account of having been on the political front-lines for so long. But that claim has now been called into question by the email controversy.

“It shows that there are still surprises with Hillary Clinton and that there are likely to be more to come,” said Ron Bonjean, a Republican consultant.

Bonjean professed to be perfectly happy about the dynamics of the Democratic nomination race, with Clinton so firmly favored to emerge as the party’s presidential candidate.

“It looks like the Democratic donor community would like to rally around Hillary Clinton if she would let them,” he said. “But with the type of fodder she is providing at the moment, I think Republicans would very much welcome her to the race.”

Such comments contain some element of bravado. But they also point to the fact that the GOP is able to train its fire on Clinton alone. The Republican National Committee has been blasting away at Clinton for months already, and it is sure to do so for the next two years, if it comes to that.

Even independent observers think that can exact a toll.

“You’re going to get attacked much longer if you don’t have an opponent,” said Susan MacManus, a professor of government at the University of South Florida. “In some sense, competition does minimize the focus on one particular person. If you’re one person, you get hit from all sides, including from people within your own party.”

Clinton defenders would argue that she has many powerful advantages, ranging from her formidable fundraising power to her status as by far the most credible female candidate to yet seek the presidency.

She’s also far ahead in the polls.

But, for the moment at least, Republicans are very far from running scared.

“She’s not a natural. She has the policy expertise but not the political skills,” said Judy. “She’s just not all that great.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Re: GOP giddy over Hillary’s problems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:52:40 pm »
Good grief!  I hardly call a few more strikes against Hillary as a reason to get giddy.  When Hillary is held accountable and responsible for Benghazi, Fast 'n Furious, Whitewater, etc., etc., then they have reason to be giddy.  The GOPe sees her as such a threat; otherwise Jeb wouldn't have come out of the woodwork so early.  If they'd just open their eyes to the conservatives that they have, they would realize that Hillary isn't a threat at all.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:56:36 pm »
Good grief!  I hardly call a few more strikes against Hillary as a reason to get giddy.  When Hillary is held accountable and responsible for Benghazi, Fast 'n Furious, Whitewater, etc., etc., then they have reason to be giddy.  The GOPe sees her as such a threat; otherwise Jeb wouldn't have come out of the woodwork so early.  If they'd just open their eyes to the conservatives that they have, they would realize that Hillary isn't a threat at all.

:amen: 

When and if they get ready it will ALL go away and Hillary will be sittin pretty!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:58:30 pm »
If I remember correctly, Sean Hannity was "giddy" with his Stop Hillary Express and Obama became the candidate - because it was going to be a piece of cake to defeat him.  I don't believe the Democrat party has any intention of letting Hillary be their next candidate, I'm sure they've got somebody else waiting in the wings - and I don't think it's even going to be a woman.

So, while the GOP and the rest of us are so "giddy" that Hillary's gettin' her come-uppance - and we're delighting in playing with the latest shiny thing - the Democrat party continues with their strategies.  We're going down the wrong road, forget Hillary - we had better be concentrating on our own woes.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:15:25 pm »
It really doesn't matter. Once amnesty is complete, a Republican won't be elected president, even if the Democrats run Charles Manson.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 05:49:01 pm »
It really doesn't matter. Once amnesty is complete, a Republican won't be elected president, even if the Democrats run Charles Manson.

Bingo.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:04:25 am »

Sadly, I agree.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 05:44:54 am »
It says the GOP is giddy...you guys no so much.
I am loving Hitlery bring upon herself another major blow.  She deserves it. :smokin:
I'm actually sorry to see nobody else here seems as delighted I am. :vote:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 05:55:58 am »
It says the GOP is giddy...you guys no so much.
I am loving Hitlery bring upon herself another major blow.  She deserves it. :smokin:
I'm actually sorry to see nobody else here seems as delighted I am. :vote:

Nothing will come of it Once-ler.  She will never be held responsible.  I said somewhere up-thread that I don't believe she will end up being the nominee, the party will stab her in the back again.  But it ain't going to be because of this stuff!

I used to get excited by this kind of revelation, but time after time, it's just a bunch of smoke - usually leaked out specifically to distract the unwashed masses while the powers are doing something REALLY evil.

I guess I've become cynical in my old age. 

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 06:41:45 am »
I guess I've become cynical in my old age.
I have gotten more optimistic as I have aged.  The GOP is going to deliberately investigate this.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/06/new-benghazi-panel-spooks-dems.html

A beautiful spectacle awaits.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:54:37 am »
I have gotten more optimistic as I have aged.  The GOP is going to deliberately investigate this.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/06/new-benghazi-panel-spooks-dems.html

I sincerely hope you are correct.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 03:29:28 pm »

I wish! But the TRUTH is that if they were serious there would be a JOINT select committee just like there was in Watergate!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 04:17:02 pm »
Where is Sen. Sam Ervin, when we need him?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 05:04:38 pm »
That is a fact!

Offline Carling

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 05:55:40 pm »
I wish! But the TRUTH is that if they were serious there would be a JOINT select committee just like there was in Watergate!

You were complaining about there being no Select committee for well over a year.  Now, that investigation is actually making progress, and you expect Dems to also want to join the committee?  For what reason?  So they can sabotage it?  Seems like a dumb idea to me.  There was a joint committee for Watergate because the GOP didn't want to go down with Nixon, mainly because they knew the media was on the Dems's side.  What possibe positive out ome would there be for a Dem to investigate Hillary, knowing the media is going to do all they can to protect her?  I think you're being unrealistic, and it's sad how you are already criticizing a select committee that you strongly advocated for in the past.  It makes me wonder if some of you are more angry at the GOP than you are the Dems.  If so, you're too far gone for me to have a reasonable conversation.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 05:58:45 pm by Carling »
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 05:57:46 pm »
Put it all together and it’s a lot of grist for Republicans’ mill.

Or it would be, if the Republicans had a mill.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 02:45:16 am »
truth_seeker wonders:
[[ Where is Sen. Sam Ervin, when we need him? ]]

Senator Ervin has left the building. He won't be back.

As have most elected officials who harbor much in the way of principles at all.

And that applies to BOTH parties!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 04:37:04 am »
truth_seeker wonders:
[[ Where is Sen. Sam Ervin, when we need him? ]]

Senator Ervin has left the building. He won't be back.

As have most elected officials who harbor much in the way of principles at all.

And that applies to BOTH parties!

I saddens me greatly to have to agree with you on this!

- J. R. R. Tolkien