Author Topic: Dems vow to protect Boehner from conservative coup  (Read 6583 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dems vow to protect Boehner from conservative coup
« on: March 06, 2015, 02:51:23 pm »
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/234766-dems-would-back-boehner-in-coup-attempt

By Mike Lillis - 03/06/15 06:00 AM EST
Tea Party Republicans contemplating a bid to oust Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) shouldn't count on Democrats to help them unseat the Speaker.

And without their support, there is no chance to topple Boehner in this Congress.

A number of right-wing Republicans, long-wary of Boehner's commitment to GOP efforts attacking President Obama's policy priorities, have openly considered a coup in an attempt to transfer the gavel into more conservative hands.
But Democrats from across an ideological spectrum say they'd rather see Boehner remain atop the House than replace him with a more conservative Speaker who would almost certainly be less willing to reach across the aisle in search of compromise. Replacing him with a Tea Party Speaker, they say, would only bring the legislative process — already limping along — to a screeching halt.

“I'd probably vote for Boehner [because] who the hell is going to replace him? [Ted] Yoho?,” Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) said Wednesday, referencing the Florida Tea Party Republican who’s fought Boehner on a host of bipartisan compromise bills.

“In terms of the institution, I would rather have John Boehner as the Speaker than some of these characters who came here thinking that they're going to change the world,” Pascrell added.

Liberal Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) agreed that for Democrats, replacing Boehner could lead to a worse situation. 

“Then we would get Scalise or somebody? Geez, come on,” said Grijalva, who referenced House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.). “We can be suicidal, but not stupid.”

Boehner, who has grappled with dissent from the Tea Party wing since he took the Speaker's gavel in 2011, has seen opposition to his reign grow this year, even as he commands the largest GOP majority since the Hoover administration.

That’s led to talk of a new coup, something that is more difficult to pull off after the election of a Speaker on each Congress’s first day of business.

Any lawmaker may file a motion to “vacate” a sitting Speaker, a move that would force a vote of the full House. The effort would almost certainly fail, as the conservatives would need the overwhelming support of Democrats to win a majority. But it would be an embarrassing setback to Boehner and his leadership team, who entered the year hoping their commanding new majority would alleviate some of the whipping problems that had plagued them in the past.

The new push-back against Boehner began in the earliest stages of the new Congress when 25 conservatives voted in January to strip him of the Speaker's gavel.

Boehner's troubles have only mounted since then, as conservatives have thwarted a number of his early legislative priorities, including a border security bill, an anti-abortion measure and a proposal to limit the federal government's role in public education — all considered by GOP leaders to be easy-pass bills that would highlight their new power in Obama's final two years in the White House.

More recently, Boehner's decision this week to pass a “clean” bill funding the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has exacerbated conservatives concerns about his leadership.

As proof of the discontent, 167 Republicans bucked their leadership by opposing the DHS package. Their votes protested Boehner's move to strip out provisions undoing Obama's executive actions shielding millions of undocumented immigrants from deportation.

Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) called Boehner's capitulation “a sad day for America.”

“If we aren't going to fight now, when are we going to fight?” he said Tuesday just before the vote.

Every Democrat joined 75 Republicans in passing the bill.

In the midst of that debate, a number of Tea Party Republicans warned that they'd consider an attempt to topple Boehner if he caved to Obama's demand for a clean DHS bill.

“If it happened, conservatives would be outraged,” said one such conservative who voted against Boehner in January. The lawmaker predicted that the coup attempt might not come immediately, but warned the Speaker that “it’s a long year.”

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), chairman of the conservative Freedom Caucus and a critic of Boehner's legislative moves, said recently that no coup is in the works.

“That's not the point,” Jordan said on CNN's “State of the Union” program. “The point is to do what we told the voters we were going to do and do it in a way that's consistent with the United States Constitution.”

Citing Jordan's comments, top Democrats have punted on the question of whether they would support a coup. Rep. Steny Hoyer (Md.), the Democratic whip, acknowledged that there are “some disgruntled people who are talking about it,” but predicted that no such effort will materialize.

“If Jordan's not talking about — he's the head of the Freedom Caucus — it's not going to happen,” Hoyer said this week.

Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.), the head of the Congressional Black Caucus, suggested the Democratic minority simply has no place deciding the Speakership for the majority.

“If they've got the votes to make it happen, then they should act accordingly. But I would not want Democrats to be a part of that,” Butterfield said. “I would give deference to the choice of the Republicans.”

Still, some Democrats noted the political advantages for their party if the Republican divisions reach the point where Boehner is ousted. The Democrats have almost no shot of winning back the House in 2016, but highlighting the GOP turmoil could help them bite away at the Republicans' majority.

“I think it would pose a real existential dilemma for us,” said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.). “I mean, on the one hand, if you have a chance to take out a Republican Speaker, why wouldn't you do that? On the other hand, if the obvious alternative is a Tea Party Speaker, now you've got to worry not only about your own political situation but frankly about the institution.

“I think that would give very serious pause to the Democrats.”

Other Democrats suggested they would side with Boehner for one simple reason: They're hoping to move bipartisan legislation this Congress and see Boehner as a more moderate leader with a penchant for compromise.

“Personally, I don't want to waste two years,” Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) said Wednesday. “And I think that the crazy Tea Party type would probably not be willing to work with us on anything.

"My hope is that what comes out of this is that Boehner realizes that there are some people in his caucus who are unreasonable, and you can never get them to say 'yes' to anything,” McGovern added. “Rather than spending so much time agonizing over how to please them, maybe he just ought to focus on how you build more bipartisan coalitions and actually get some things done.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has declined to weigh in on the conservatives' discontent. Hinting at her own radioactive image in the eyes of Republicans, she vowed not to get involved in the debate. 

“I don't have any intention of getting involved in the politics of that Caucus,” she said recently. “They have enough trouble getting along with each other.  I don't think I should inject myself into that.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Dems vow to protect Boehner from conservative coup
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 03:00:16 pm »
Why wouldn't they? He seems to work very well with them!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 03:15:50 pm »
The DEMS love Boehner as he always votes with them and sides with them.  He is a RINO!  RINO's won't retain our majority nor will they help us to get into the oval office.  Cruz/Walker/Perry/Jindal 2016!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Millee

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 03:16:53 pm »
“Personally, I don't want to waste two years,” Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) said Wednesday. “And I think that the crazy Tea Party type would probably not be willing to work with us on anything.

But the establishment will do what we want, because we're a one-party nation now.   :chairbang:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 03:54:36 pm »
BOEHNER-ALIGNED GROUP EXPANDS ANTI-REPUBLICAN PRO OBAMA EXECUTIVE AMNESTY AD CAMPAIGN WITH RENEE ELLMERS AT CENTER

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/03/06/boehner-aligned-group-expands-anti-republican-pro-obama-executive-amnesty-ad-campaign-with-renee-ellmers-at-center/

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30:46 pm »
Why wouldn't they? He seems to work very well with them!

Yes, they have learned he is a reliable ally

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 11:38:12 pm »
Paging our pragmatists! Paging our pragmatists!...
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:58:28 pm »
This nugget should be included in history's story about why the GOP went the route of the Whigs.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 12:27:56 am »
The DEMS love Boehner as he always votes with them and sides with them.  He is a RINO!  RINO's won't retain our majority nor will they help us to get into the oval office.  Cruz/Walker/Perry/Jindal 2016!!

Your entire post is completely wrong. But, so is most of the rest of this thread.  Boehner and McConnell tried the TP strategy on DHS funding. It was a complete failure.  Yet, the TPers will no doubt want the very same approach on every other major issue. It won't work, but, hey GOPBR will be here cheering them on.

The conversion of this place to TOS is complete.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 12:34:08 am »
Your entire post is completely wrong. But, so is most of the rest of this thread.  Boehner and McConnell tried the TP strategy on DHS funding. It was a complete failure.  Yet, the TPers will no doubt want the very same approach on every other major issue. It won't work, but, hey GOPBR will be here cheering them on.

How? They never passed the bill. The Senate never used reconciliation as you're supposed to do in budget bills. They did the same thing they did last time—CAVED. They QUIT. They stopped short of actually using their legislative authority to push a bill to the President's desk. They don't even realize who controls the legislature. If they did, the bill would have made it to his desk.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 12:42:23 am »

Pretty much.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 12:49:08 am »

Hyperbole much?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 12:57:31 am »
What is TOS please?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:35 am »
TOS = The other site. A veiled reference to free republic.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 01:21:32 am »
How? They never passed the bill. The Senate never used reconciliation as you're supposed to do in budget bills. They did the same thing they did last time—CAVED. They QUIT. They stopped short of actually using their legislative authority to push a bill to the President's desk. They don't even realize who controls the legislature. If they did, the bill would have made it to his desk.
It takes 60 votes to go to reconciliation conference, and the dems wouldn't do it.

Without 2/3 to override a Presidential veto, the 60 vote threshold doesn't mean much, either.

Right wing political forums appear to be very severely math challenged, and ironically Constitution challenged as well.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 01:27:07 am »
It takes 60 votes to go to reconciliation conference, and the dems wouldn't do it.

Without 2/3 to override a Presidential veto, the 60 vote threshold doesn't mean much, either.

Right wing political forums appear to be very severely math challenged, and ironically Constitution challenged as well.

If Mitch McConnell can't persuade however many Democrats to vote with the GOP - then what good is he as leader?  Really?  What special talent does he have that he is the best man for the job?  Maybe it's time to let someone else that has the ability to barter, cajole, negotiate or whatever is needed to bring some of them around?  What good is he?

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 01:28:54 am »

No Sink! What YOU consider tried and the honest conservatives here consider tried are two entirely different things!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 01:30:03 am »
TOS = The other site. A veiled reference to free republic.

LOL  I guess I should have known that. Never been back
In that case I think I have to disagree with the statement
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:31:45 am by xfreeper »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 01:30:32 am »

They did the very same thing Obama is doing with ISIS! Giving the appearance of doing something while actually doing nothing at all!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 01:33:57 am »
If Mitch McConnell can't persuade however many Democrats to vote with the GOP - then what good is he as leader?  Really?  What special talent does he have that he is the best man for the job?  Maybe it's time to let someone else that has the ability to barter, cajole, negotiate or whatever is needed to bring some of them around?  What good is he?

How about someone who knows how and is willing to play real HARDBALL!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline evadR

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 02:03:35 am »
What is TOS please?
It also refers to Terms of Service when Jim cleaned out all the "disruptors" years ago.
All my people left and eventually, so did I.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 02:10:50 am »
Reconciliation example
Congress passes a budget resolution, with a deadline of April 15. No presidential signature is needed; sometimes the resolution is delayed or never passed.
The budget goes to both houses.
It goes to the Senate with a special rule: it can pass with 51 votes and cannot be filibustered. Other legislation can be filibustered and requires 60 votes to end the filibuster.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 03:36:52 am »
How about someone who knows how and is willing to play real HARDBALL!
How about you guys get your own hardball player elected speaker.
The election for McConnell's Senate seat and his Majority Leader seat was last year.  Please try again in late 2016. :laugh:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 03:39:15 am »

Thanx for keeping the debate well informed truth_seeker.  You rock!