Author Topic: This Sucks  (Read 4333 times)

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
This Sucks
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:16:08 am »
Well, we're in the middle of the latest snow storm - snow is dumping on us heavy.  The power just went out and my phone battery is getting low.  Once it goes out, I lose touch with civilization and we have no heat or water (electric water pump).

This sucks!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: This Sucks
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:36:18 am »
You should call some emergency service and let them know, I guess?
Hope you are alright!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 04:44:25 am »
Well, we're in the middle of the latest snow storm - snow is dumping on us heavy.  The power just went out and my phone battery is getting low.  Once it goes out, I lose touch with civilization and we have no heat or water (electric water pump).

This sucks!

Yes it does suck!

Can you charge your phone in your car?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 04:48:01 am »
I have known people to store 100 gallons of fresh water, lots of batteries and candles, and an emergency gas heater for this exact reason.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:50:02 am »
I called the power co. They hope to have it back on by 2:30am.  I can charge my phone in the car too for an emergency.  You don't realize how much u miss electricity.  I opened the curtains because it is bright outside with the full moon.   It is beautifl outside!  I hate typing on the phone!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 04:51:59 am »
I called the power co. They hope to have it back on by 2:30am.  I can charge my phone in the car too for an emergency.  You don't realize how much u miss electricity.  I opened the curtains because it is bright outside with the full moon.   It is beautifl outside!  I hate typing on the phone!

OK! Take care of yourself!

I HATE typing on my phone!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:53:14 am »
I have known people to store 100 gallons of fresh water, lots of batteries and candles, and an emergency gas heater for this exact reason.

Where we live it is not uncommon so we are stocked up on everything but the heater.  All electric.  We just bundle up w cats and dogs, they're pretty warm.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 04:58:43 am »
Hang in there, Lea!

Spring is less than a month away!   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 05:31:09 am »
Hang in there, Lea!

Spring is less than a month away!   :laugh:

I like your optimism!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 06:41:10 am »
You stay warm, you hear?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 05:14:56 pm »
You stay warm, you hear?

I'm still w/o power.  The power co. Is working on it at the bottom of the hill.  About a foot of snow and still snowing, supposed to get down to zero tonite.  Charging my phone in the car.  I have three cats in my lap right now and I have blankets on my dogs.  It is 59 degrees in my house - brrrrrrrr!  Feeding the birds and squirrels - they're eating heavy.

Thanks everyone for your concern! 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 06:08:13 pm »
I'm still w/o power.  The power co. Is working on it at the bottom of the hill.  About a foot of snow and still snowing, supposed to get down to zero tonite.  Charging my phone in the car.  I have three cats in my lap right now and I have blankets on my dogs.  It is 59 degrees in my house - brrrrrrrr!  Feeding the birds and squirrels - they're eating heavy.

I sure hope you're not feeding them bread.  You should NEVER feed bread to birds or squirrels.

Grains, seeds and suet only!  At least that's what the gourmet Backyard Birdwatcher says on the electronic sign out front.  LOL!

Hope you're all heated and good by the time the mercury drops.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 06:27:49 pm »

Wow hope you are OK. I know the feeling. we lose power up here all the time. Yet we have a propane furnace and it doesn't need electricity to work. I. You never realize until you lose power how much you use it.

We have propane run lanterns that had been built into the walls in each room that came with the house when we bought it. We light them and that heats the rooms some. We have the TV and my computer on battery packs so when we have no power we do have TV and the net. The last time we lost power hubby started to cook a chicken. He was working away in the propane lit kitchen for about 15 min. Finally I asked him...how the heck are you going to cook that chicken? Funny he said I shouldn't have said a thing and let him go.

We also have 2 propane cook burners. One we have cooked meals on during outages. Yet you still find yourself walking into a room trying to turn on a light. You just don't realize how much you use electriciy in your life till it goes out.

Same for water. We lost water one winter up here for a few months. We melted snow. Part of the town did have water so was able to use that shower. People take water for granted too.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 06:45:19 pm »
We had a woodstove in the den that we used for years to heat the house and cook on - took it out a few years ago to do some remodeling.  Will hook it back up again for next winter!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 08:05:34 pm »
WHOO - HOO!

Power is restored!  Snow plow is plowing the road!  We have water again!

Thank you Lord!

:amen:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 08:08:13 pm »
WHOO - HOO!

Thank you Lord!

YEAH!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:41 pm »
WHOO - HOO!

Thank you Lord!

Welcome back...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline flowers

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 08:22:02 pm »
WHOO - HOO!

Thank you Lord!

Wonderful.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 12:35:15 am »
Did you get the gift I left for you in the Juke Box? Alice

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 12:56:47 am »
Did you get the gift I left for you in the Juke Box? Alice

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

You nailed it!  My house is now up to 66 degrees - and it feels GOOD! 

Thanks 240B - I was so cold!  LOL!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 02:05:33 pm »
We're not that far from you (upper Ohio valley), I believe, but thankfully haven't had any lengthy power outages this horrible winter. Even though we have geothermal heat, it still requires an electric pump to circulate it through the house, so we would have to rely on our woodstove if the heat were out for a while. Glad things are getting back to normal for you, Alice!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 02:53:48 pm »
We're not that far from you (upper Ohio valley), I believe, but thankfully haven't had any lengthy power outages this horrible winter. Even though we have geothermal heat, it still requires an electric pump to circulate it through the house, so we would have to rely on our woodstove if the heat were out for a while. Glad things are getting back to normal for you, Alice!

Thanks Mountaineer.  We're on the Ohio river in the tri-state area of Ky, WV and Ohio.  Kentucky got hammered!  Today, all the kids are out sledding and the dogs are having a big time chasing them - the sun is shining and there is snow everywhere!  I'm so thankful we got our power back on - there are still thousands of people around here that aren't that lucky.  Back in the fall, we had talked about getting some kind of supplemental propane heat, but alas - we never got around to it - and as always, when March came we thought we were through the worst of it!

I always forget about that blizzard in March of 1993 - we got 22" of snow in that one!

March has come in like a LION - hope it goes out like a lamb.

:beer:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 03:05:31 pm »
I was in Pittsburgh during the blizzard of March, 1993, and nearly got stranded downtown. Fortunately, I caught the last operating bus to the suburbs and, after a few hours of creeping along, made it home. Ugh. So tired of winter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 06:20:27 pm »
Been one heck of a winter for you all in the NE.  Our winters here in the NW last about last about a 7 to 10 days, or about the length of a common cold.   If it's wet during our winter we may get a few inches of snow. If its dry it just gets cold - lower 20s or upper teens. But after that its back in the 50s till Spring. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 07:29:32 pm »
Been one heck of a winter for you all in the NE.  Our winters here in the NW last about last about a 7 to 10 days, or about the length of a common cold.   If it's wet during our winter we may get a few inches of snow. If its dry it just gets cold - lower 20s or upper teens. But after that its back in the 50s till Spring.

Thanks for rubbing it in Navy!   :chairbang: