Author Topic: Ben Carson Launches Presidential Exploratory Committee  (Read 2232 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Ben Carson Launches Presidential Exploratory Committee
« on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »
Neurosurgeon Ben Carson announced Tuesday that he is formally exploring a run for president in 2016.

Terry Giles, Carson's likely campaign chief, announced the formation of an exploratory committee that will allow the conservative darling to raise funds ahead of a likely bid for the White House.

"In every aspect of Dr. Carson's life, he has exemplified true leadership. Overcoming dire poverty in his youth to become head of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Carson is uniquely situated to understand the needs and hopes of all Americans," Giles said. "His undeniable abilities and extraordinary life experiences drive his passion to ensure that, through hard work and perseverance, the American dream remains attainable to all. For the next few months, Dr. Carson looks forward to listening to the American people to gauge support for a presidential candidacy."

Carson is known for making controversial statements about President Barack Obama and Nazi Germany. He finished fourth in last week's straw poll at the Conservative Political Action Conference, an annual gathering of activists and party leaders outside Washington, D.C., and received a warm reception at the Iowa Freedom Summit in January.

Check out Carson's GQ-esque committee website here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/03/ben-carson-exploratory-committee_n_6791514.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Ben Carson Launches Presidential Exploratory Committee
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 05:40:05 pm »
Back to back, black Presidents is NOT going to happen.

Obama saw to that; we've all seen too much black, already, no offense meant to Dr. Carson.

Walker or another white man for President, running with female (Hispanic) Gov. Martinez for VP is the strongest ticket, in my view.

Call it pandering if you want. It is called winning by strategy, too. Losing by principle gets you nowhere.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:02:09 pm »

Obama saw to that; we've all seen too much black, already, no offense meant to Dr. Carson.

Walker or another white man for President, running with female (Hispanic) Gov. Martinez for VP is the strongest ticket, in my view.

Call it pandering if you want. It is called winning by strategy, too. Losing by principle gets you nowhere.

I'm not so sure I even want to touch the "race" issue you brought up, so I'll skirt around it a bit. Casron has absolutely zero political experience.  He's never been a Senator or a governor or held any political office. Without any experience he'd be accused (whether warranted or not) of using the race card and would be very foolish for him to run. The best ticket that the GOP can run is the most conservative one.  I stand by my statement "Ted Cruz IS Golden".  He is a staunch conservative with a lot of backbone, very articulate, very educated, and Latino. Match Ted up with another conservative and we've won. I'm not so sure though at this point he is intending to run.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 07:10:31 pm »
I'm not so sure I even want to touch the "race" issue you brought up, so I'll skirt around it a bit. Casron has absolutely zero political experience.  He's never been a Senator or a governor or held any political office. Without any experience he'd be accused (whether warranted or not) of using the race card and would be very foolish for him to run. The best ticket that the GOP can run is the most conservative one.  I stand by my statement "Ted Cruz IS Golden".  He is a staunch conservative with a lot of backbone, very articulate, very educated, and Latino. Match Ted up with another conservative and we've won. I'm not so sure though at this point he is intending to run.
Ted Cruz is a Goldwater redo waiting to happen (or viewed from the other side, a McGovern redo).

Cruz polls near the bottom, in every poll except Texas, where he is tied with Walker.

Cruz by the way, makes great speeches, just like Goldwater and McGovern did. Very pleasing to the ears of their supporters, but just not enough of those, and no demonstrated record of expanding that number.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 07:13:03 pm »

Agree with your description of Cruz. I like his philosophy of government. Unfortunately has not much charisma. That's necessary in the modern era of political theater.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:38 pm »
Ted Cruz is a Goldwater redo waiting to happen (or viewed from the other side, a McGovern redo).

Cruz polls near the bottom, in every poll except Texas, where he is tied with Walker.

Cruz by the way, makes great speeches, just like Goldwater and McGovern did. Very pleasing to the ears of their supporters, but just not enough of those, and no demonstrated record of expanding that number.

We get it!!! Go JEB? and hello Hillary **nononono*

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:43:56 pm »
We get it!!! Go JEB? and hello Hillary **nononono*
No, Go Walker.

And even with the strongest candidate, the GOP may be unable to overcome a woman candidate.

But Cruz is not the answer. He and his type fail miserably at the task of growing the numbers on the right. Evidence is last November.

All that happens is the 15% furthest to the right, talks and cheers each other on. But makes no progress growing that to 51%.

Reagan did grow the numbers of conservative voters, openly inviting independents and democrats to join. Eisenhower referred specifically to "right thinking" democrats.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 08:11:39 pm »
But Cruz is not the answer. He and his type fail miserably at the task of growing the numbers on the right. Evidence is last November.

All that happens is the 15% furthest to the right, talks and cheers each other on. But makes no progress growing that to 51%.

Reagan did grow the numbers of conservative voters, openly inviting independents and democrats to join. Eisenhower referred specifically to "right thinking" democrats.
Of course, this thread is about Carson, so why bring up Cruz? "His type"?  :shrug:

Moving on from the Cruz-bashing, while I fully support the idea of a citizen-president, I believe as a practical matter a candidate has to have proven himself in some sort of elected office, which is why I hope Carson doesn't run and thus distract voters from more qualified candidates like Walker and others.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 03:42:50 am »
libertybele wrote above:
[[ I'm not so sure I even want to touch the "race" issue you brought up, so I'll skirt around it a bit. ]]

I'm not afraid of "the race issue".

I would hazard a guess that a large plurality -- perhaps even a majority -- of American whites are FED UP with blacks and black behavior in recent years, and are in no mood to vote for another black as president, no matter who that individual happens to be.

I am one of them.

As much as I admire Dr. Carson, and I would trust him with my life on the surgical table, he has no business running for president of The United States.

I don't believe he has the internal constitution to deal with what the next president may face -- outright existential war in the mideast, perhaps a devastating attack here once Iran acquires nuclear arms.

Doctors are healers, and I proffer that few have the stomach to order thousands (or more) to their deaths.

We've seen a taste of this in Dr. Carson's mumblin's regarding the Second Amendment. He has no stomach for a fight, and I don't foresee him developing one.

Having written the above, Dr. Carson would be the undisputed choice for Surgeon General in a Republican administration. Perhaps Secretary HHS, with an eye on downsizing its role and returning decision-making to states and localities.

But "president"?
Forgeddaboutit!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:44:36 am by Fishrrman »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 05:42:29 am »
libertybele wrote above:
[[ I'm not so sure I even want to touch the "race" issue you brought up, so I'll skirt around it a bit. ]]

I'm not afraid of "the race issue".

I would hazard a guess that a large plurality -- perhaps even a majority -- of American whites are FED UP with blacks and black behavior in recent years, and are in no mood to vote for another black as president, no matter who that individual happens to be.

I am one of them.

As much as I admire Dr. Carson, and I would trust him with my life on the surgical table, he has no business running for president of The United States.

I don't believe he has the internal constitution to deal with what the next president may face -- outright existential war in the mideast, perhaps a devastating attack here once Iran acquires nuclear arms.

Doctors are healers, and I proffer that few have the stomach to order thousands (or more) to their deaths.

We've seen a taste of this in Dr. Carson's mumblin's regarding the Second Amendment. He has no stomach for a fight, and I don't foresee him developing one.

Having written the above, Dr. Carson would be the undisputed choice for Surgeon General in a Republican administration. Perhaps Secretary HHS, with an eye on downsizing its role and returning decision-making to states and localities.

But "president"?
Forgeddaboutit!

I completely agree with you Fishrrman.  Dr. Carson is a good man, but not the type of man we need in 2016. 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:27 am »
Carson is launching his television commentator career, like Pat Buchanan, Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum, Mike Huckabee (he also hawks diabetes and weight loss supplements), Newt Gingrich etc.

Why? Because it works.

Offline LambertLunatic

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 01:33:41 pm »
imagine how much fun we'd have calling liberals racist every time they opposed President Carson.

Offline evadR

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 02:23:22 pm »
As much as I admire Dr. Carson, I don't know a thing about his positions on any of the important positions.
I guess I could go googling but it would be nice to start hearing it from him.
He spoke out about the homo thingie and then immediately retracted what he said....not a good start.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:41 pm »
Of course, this thread is about Carson, so why bring up Cruz? "His type"?  :shrug:

Moving on from the Cruz-bashing, while I fully support the idea of a citizen-president, I believe as a practical matter a candidate has to have proven himself in some sort of elected office, which is why I hope Carson doesn't run and thus distract voters from more qualified candidates like Walker and others.

I agree.

Carson is a phenomenal person, brilliant and a great spokesman for conservative principles, but he's not what we need right now.

JMHO.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Longiron

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »

Don't agree wit6h you much Seeker BUT you Nailed it ! Good Post.